OT: Help! Best nachos in Ottawa?

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Hey, I need your help.

Sounds like a stupid thread, fair enough. Here's the context: My wife has been on an insane diet since being diagnosed with breast cancer and her last radiation treatment is coming next week. To celebrate, she wants her favourite food, nachos.

So I want to take her to the place with the best nachos in Ottawa/Gatineau.

I don't eat nachos usually at restaurants so my knowledge is limited.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Hey, I need your help.

Sounds like a stupid thread, fair enough. Here's the context: My wife has been on an insane diet since being diagnosed with breast cancer and her last radiation treatment is coming next week. To celebrate, she wants her favourite food, nachos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Firstly HUUUUGE congrats to your wife and i hope the health stays strong going forward.

Secondly as an avid nacho fan i personally have never really had anything above decent nachos in the city that i did not make and would suggest doing them yourself with choice ingredients if an option.

Curious if anyone else has recommendations....extreme side note keep hearing really good things about Neiler's new spot in Kanata, it's a must for foodies and Sens fans from what i hear.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Firstly HUUUUGE congrats to your wife and i hope the health stays strong going forward.

Secondly as an avid nacho fan i personally have never really had anything above decent nachos in the city that i did not make and would suggest doing them yourself with choice ingredients if an option.

Curious if anyone else has recommendations....extreme side note keep hearing really good things about Neiler's new spot in Kanata, it's a must for foodies and Sens fans from what i hear.

What's Neil's new place called? Next visit up I'll have to check it out.

Can't help for nachos (was going to make an ask Alfie joke until I read the story), but for pizza - Big Rig is definitely a consideration.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hey, I need your help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think the Senate has amazing Nachos.

Last edited:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I've always loved the nachos at Pub Italia.

If you'd like to make more of an event out of it (sounds like it's warranted, big congrats to her!), and you'd like to take her for a weekend out of town or something, Le Nextdoor in Montreal (corner of Sherbrooke and Marlowe, in Westmount-NDG) has the best nachos I've had anywhere.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Depends your style.

I'm a fan of the ol Mexis nachos (Mexicali Rosas), which basically were a round plate where chips were spread thing (not piled) and every chip had cheese on it. Red and green sauce on the side, with Guac and chicken etc as optional sides. Bowmans on Carling is run by former Mexi staff, and they serve them that way. But Lone Stars are good too. Felina's on Bank and also Agave on Richmond tend to do them similarly, as they too are all former Mexi people.

If you like your nachos piled up high with everything loaded at the top and a bunch of naked chips underneath, well, I can't help you. Those type of nachos are brutal IMO.

One idea is a nacho crawl. Basically, hit a few spots for a single order of nachos and a drink at each stop. Could easily do three spots. Good luck to the wife!

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Can't help for nachos (was going to make an ask Alfie joke until I read the story), but for pizza - Big Rig is definitely a consideration.

Central Bierhaus.

Second the Big Rig Pizza, it is really good.

For Nachos, I've always liked the Agave Grill in Westboro, but I wouldn't say they are legendary or anything, like others have said, I don't think one really sticks that much out from the rest.

Also, congrats to your wife Gunner!

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

It is called Central Beerhouse or Bierhouse??? It is the old O'connor's right next to the old AMC sorry for the spelling and outdated businesses...i live central and rarily head to Kanata and certainly don't stick around long...this spot i will make a trip for tho.

German themed make there own brats etc...

One cool thing i heard which seems more for like rich people and i heard the money goes to chairity which is nice($300 per year) is that they have a large area at the front with mini lockers which you can rent and store your own beer stein in so when you show up you drink from your own glass...apparently a bunch of the boys have them Karl, Bobby etc...

I thought that was pretty cool to be honest.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I've always loved the nachos at Pub Italia.

If you'd like to make more of an event out of it (sounds like it's warranted, big congrats to her!), and you'd like to take her for a weekend out of town or something, Le Nextdoor in Montreal (corner of Sherbrooke and Marlowe, in Westmount-NDG) has the best nachos I've had anywhere.

Yeah, she wants to go Monday night, since that's the last round of radiation. So MTL is a no go but I'll keep that in mind for next time we hit Montreal.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It is called Central Beerhouse or Bierhouse??? It is the old O'connor's right next to the old AMC sorry for the spelling and outdated businesses...i live central and rarily head to Kanata and certainly don't stick around long...this spot i will make a trip for tho.

German themed make there own brats etc...

One cool thing i heard which seems more for like rich people and i heard the money goes to chairity which is nice($300 per year) is that they have a large area at the front with mini lockers which you can rent and store your own beer stein in so when you show up you drink from your own glass...apparently a bunch of the boys have them Karl, Bobby etc...

I thought that was pretty cool to be honest.

The odd spelling makes it tough, doesn't it? It's Bierhaus.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
First off, congrats to you and your wife. Beat the **** out of cancer!

I'll lob another vote for Pub Italia, but also Quinn's on Bank St (next to the Mayfair) has great nachos (and burgers and wings and beer and tacos...), and Local at Lansdowne has some great grub- and while I haven't had their nachos I'm guessing they're solid based on everything else I've had off the menu- and a lively atmosphere.

Best of luck!

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
First off, congrats to you and your wife. Beat the **** out of cancer!

I'll lob another vote for Pub Italia, but also Quinn's on Bank St (next to the Mayfair) has great nachos (and burgers and wings and beer and tacos...), and Local at Lansdowne has some great grub- and while I haven't had their nachos I'm guessing they're solid based on everything else I've had off the menu- and a lively atmosphere.

Best of luck!

Excellent! Funny how I've been to almost all of the places mentionned without having nachos at any of them.

Yeah she did a great job, managed it with little to no side-effects. She's still going to the gym everyday even while having radiation and having already gone through chemo.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I consider myself quite the nacho connosseur...to me, the best nachos in Ottawa reside in Sir John A's pub. Ask for either the pulled pork or the cajun chicken nachos and ask for a side of their BBQ sauce to dip it in as well. Their custom BBQ sauce just works with their chips.

Congrats on the celebration! As well-deserved as any!

On Central Bierhaus, food is amazing but there are no nachos. I'd recommend starting with the soft pretzel (ask for melted butter on the side) and then go to town on the sausage of the day or the wiener schnitzel.

Human Megaphone

Nov 24, 2003
Ottawa
I've always liked the nachos at Pancho Villa on Elgin (corner of Frank).

That said, the experience might be better when the weather is warmer and you can sit outside.

Big congrats to your wife. That's tough business.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I dont have a suggestion but congrats to you and your wife. I hope you have many happy years together.:

yo:

Kanata

Oct 16, 2014
Second the Senate for Nachos.

Congratulations for your wife

Love the Central Bierhaus. A place where you can get beer in a litre stein can't be wrong.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I had some great nachos at some mexican place on elgin. Cant remember the name, but someone mentioned pancho villa, and that seems like the right location.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Speaking of food, does anyone know where you can find an authentic Mexican taco in Ottawa? You know like the kind you would get off a truck in CA?

Like this>>>:)

taco1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad