News Article: OT - General fanager closed down!

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm sure this Poruszka fellow is a smart dude and all (and hell, good for him for getting hired by an NHL team), but I don't understand what he could possibly add to an NHL front office. The previous NHL hires from private companies/websites have all worked in advanced stats. A website tracking player salaries seems a little more basic by comparison.

Anyways... I switched to CapFriendly from GeneralFanager months ago. It's the better of the two IMO.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well guess it's back to NHLnumbers for decent access to cap information. Kind of annoying though that teams are buying these guys up whenever a reliable site gets established.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I'm sure this Poruszka fellow is a smart dude and all (and hell, good for him for getting hired by an NHL team), but I don't understand what he could possibly add to an NHL front office. The previous NHL hires from private companies/websites have all worked in advanced stats. A website tracking player salaries seems a little more basic by comparison.

Anyways... I switched to CapFriendly from GeneralFanager months ago. It's the better of the two IMO.

He offers more than stats, he has an incredible network of connections within the NHL.

This could be beneficial for Las Vegas when requiring financial insight on other teams.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I always thought cap friendly was better to be perfectly honest. Loaded faster and easier to navigate.

Hopefully the guy from capfriendly doesn't get snagged up too. Then we're really screwed.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

It's an operations job. And a big part of operations in the NHL is understanding the contracts side of the CBA. So having a guy who has a high level understanding of that (which he demonstrated through GeneralFanager) would be a plus (not to mention the connections he has like others have said).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
cap friendly is better anyway - and let's remember, how fast capfriendly/general fanager came up when the CEO of capgeek passed away.

what really sucks is that Betteman still thinks no one wants to know things like league transactions, money and stuff. like what?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Guy does lots of hard work, makes a quality website that many hockey fans visit. It's a success story. Good for the guy. What business wouldn't want to hire such an enterprising coder? The quizzical thing is that the league must have wanted the site taken down immediately upon his hiring which suggests this is as much about buying out the site as it is about hiring the talent. Others will fill this void, it's like whack-a-mole if the NHL is attempting to shut down every NHL cap site.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Vegas NHL franchise hires General Fanager creator

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/vegas-nhl-franchise-hires-general-fanager-creator-1.587383

Another prominent member of the online hockey community has made the jump from the web to the front office.

The Las Vegas NHL expansion franchise announced the hiring of Tom Poraszka, better known as the creator of GeneralFanager.com, as hockey operations analyst on Monday.

Poraszka, a 28-year-old Toronto resident, launched GeneralFanager.com as a comprehensive salary cap database in 2015 with inspiration from the passing of CapGeek.com founder Matthew Wuest.

General Fanager quickly became the go-to resource for all financial aspects of the game, including player contracts, known no-trade or no-movement clauses, waiver and arbitration eligibility, historical earnings and even insider details such as specific performance bonus thresholds in player contracts.

GeneralFanager.com was rendered inactive with Monday’s news, leaving competitor CapFriendly.com as the top remaining salary cap reference point on the web.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think its funny people think this guy has contacts that'd be worthwhile to an NHL club. He's a programmer.

And even if he did have any before. He's owned by a team now, changes everything

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think its funny people think this guy has contacts that'd be worthwhile to an NHL club. He's a programmer.

And even if he did have any before. He's owned by a team now, changes everything

The NHLPA and hockey agents were probably generously sharing their clients' contract details because there's an overall benefit for the players to it getting published publicly. If this information starts being used privately, they may cease having any interest in sharing it.

If his role is switching to preparing this sort of stuff for the team privately, he's overqualified because you don't need a website guru, you just need someone capable of working with spreadsheets.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'd be on board, just maybe not PHP :)

The real problem is tracking down all of the contract information.

You can build crawlers (scrubbers) that scour the internet for this information, that would parse and update your site automatically. Its takes a while to build the back bone for the site but once you do, its mostly just maintenance and cosmetic changes. I built one for hockey, football, baseball, basketball a year or so ago but never published it because I wanted certain data (stats) on it that was going to cost me $10k per month to buy.

The cost as not worth the hobby website

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad