(OT) First Time In Edmonton

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I liked the steak there. better than the keg for sure.

I still prefer Coliseum (right by rexal). It's cheaper and quite honestly I've yet to have a better steak in a restaurant.

The Oysters at Von's though.. yum yum. yum.... yum.

I try and go to Coliseum whenever I am in town (which is rare). Love the steaks. Wife likes their ribs.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
For those mentioning Edmonton should get a National.. National gets old really quickly and now that there are 3 downtown its a little bit overkill. I prefer craft when I go out (live in Calgary).

Is steel wheels still around? I loved going there when I went to U of A.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
How is Von's now? That used to be a good place for a steak.

I used to work at The Keg Strathcona for awhile back in my University days and sort of a "foodie", and I may be bias, but the best place for a steak is still The Keg.
Ruth's Chris IS very overrated. Sorry everyone, I know franchise bashing is huge nowadays, but The Keg is the best. Service is impeccable and the cooks actually do care about the steak they cooked for you. If unhappy, they will gladly re-cook and credit your bill.
I've done lots of travelling and the best meat will always be Alberta Beef, no Kobe Beef or Aussie beef can compare. The Keg and it's not even close fellas.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I used to work at The Keg Strathcona for awhile back in my University days and sort of a "foodie", and I may be bias, but the best place for a steak is still The Keg.
Ruth's Chris IS very overrated. Sorry everyone, I know franchise bashing is huge nowadays, but The Keg is the best. Service is impeccable and the cooks actually do care about the steak they cooked for you. If unhappy, they will gladly re-cook and credit your bill.
I've done lots of travelling and the best meat will always be Alberta Beef, no Kobe Beef or Aussie beef can compare. The Keg and it's not even close fellas.

Alberta beef is the best but Keg steaks aren't very good, way too fatty. Best steak I've had in Edmonton was at Lux steakhouse, it practically melts in your mouth.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Alberta beef is the best but Keg steaks aren't very good, way too fatty. Best steak I've had in Edmonton was at Lux steakhouse, it practically melts in your mouth.

Alberta beef is hot garbage compared to Argentine beef and their style of slow cooking it.

It's easily the second best beef I've had though.

Anyway, Edmonton is a crappy place to visit if you're just in town for a few days and don't know anybody. It's a fantastic place to live, though, or, as is my case, to go back and visit with friends and family.

As far as nightlife, food, and entertainment go though? The city is crap. The only city I've been to that's worse in that regard is Ottawa (and I've lived in both places and have seen and lived in enough other places to conclusively make those claims).

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton

Alberta beef is hot garbage compared to Argentine beef and their style of slow cooking it.

It's easily the second best beef I've had though.

Anyway, Edmonton is a crappy place to visit if you're just in town for a few days and don't know anybody. It's a fantastic place to live, though, or, as is my case, to go back and visit with friends and family.

As far as nightlife, food, and entertainment go though? The city is crap. The only city I've been to that's worse in that regard is Ottawa (and I've lived in both places and have seen and lived in enough other places to conclusively make those claims).

Agreed. Nightlife here is pretty bad. However I think it's because of how spread out the good places are.
I've been to some places overseas that close down at 12 am or is so outrageously dangerous after hours it's not worth it to bar hop.

It'd be nice to have more higher end bars, maybe rooftop clubs, or clubs on the river? The lack of an ocean hurts us. The best clubs I've been to have overlooked a body of water.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Is that donair place on 50th street and 101st avenue still around. Can't remember the name of it, but it was good.
Donair stop still exists in a different location but isn't as good however the original owner of donair stop opened a place called top donair in the new buildings in that location.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
Other interesting places to eat- Padmanadi http://www.padmanadi.com/, Tres Carnales http://trescarnales.com/, Famoso http://www.famoso.ca/, High Level Diner http://highleveldiner.com/.

My wife & I went to Tres Carnales a few weeks ago out of curiosity; long line-up at 6:30 so we dined elsewhere. We tried again- last night at 5:00; no line-up. However by 5:30 the lineup was to the door.

Great recommendation - food & a drink each (+ tip) was only $35. We will definitely be going back.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Yah, they did that for me. Two different times. And that's why I don't got there anymore. Way over-rated.

Coliseum Steak and Pizza still do a fine steak. Best one I've had is at the Marc.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Have eaten at 1903. Great atmosphere and fantastic food. Their lobster rolls are to die for.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I had a meal last year at the Strathcona Keg that was so bad I will never go back. The steak seemed like it was warmed up and the veggies were disgusting.

As I was leaving I had to wait about 5 minutes and watched the 'cooks' taking heated up plastic bags and dumping veggies out of them onto warmed up plates.
Thats about as low as it gets when it comes to food quality.

Poor excuse for a steak house IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad