(OT) First Time In Edmonton

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I'm heading to Edmonton for the first time and just wondering if Edmontonians would give me the inside track on what i should do, where i should go, what i should see and what i should eat.

So far the only guaranteed things i've got booked is Canucks vs Oilers and West Edmonton Mall.

Best place to have pizza?
Best bar to watch a game?
Best place to buy an Oilers jersey?
Best nightlife?

Your feedback to these questions as well as any other tips you might have for me are greatly appreciated!

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
I'm heading to Edmonton for the first time and just wondering if Edmontonians would give me the inside track on what i should do, where i should go, what i should see and what i should eat.

So far the only guaranteed things i've got booked is Canucks vs Oilers and West Edmonton Mall.

Best place to have pizza?
Best bar to watch a game?
Best place to buy an Oilers jersey?
Best nightlife?

Your feedback to these questions as well as any other tips you might have for me are greatly appreciated!

Best place to have pizza - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1436582/restaurant/Meadowlark/Flamingo-Edmonton

Best bar to watch a game - http://kellyspubedmonton.com/sports

Best place to buy an Oilers jersey - http://www.yelp.ca/biz/oilers-store-edmonton

Best nightlife - I am too old to know this anymore.

Enjoy your stay.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Best nightlife - I am too old to know this anymore.

Enjoy your stay.

Ill try and help on this one.

If you like a relaxed pub style atmosphere Hudsons, the Pint and Canadian Brewhouse are all good. They all show the game and are a great place to watch the game (and good place to stay after)

If you like a more upbeat, albeit 25ish YO crowd, Billiards Club is the palce. This is my favourite bar in Edmonton. Mercers Tavern (downtown) and Central Social Hall are other good ones (I like all 3)

If you are a bit older, On The Rocks appeals to this age group (never been tho). Cook County is a bit older crowd and is a country bar.

If you are 18-20 and like country, Knoxvilles and The Ranch are good places (more so the Ranch)

If you want an actual dance club Club XO is good for that I hear

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

Best place to have pizza? Steel Wheels (off of Whyte, cheap, dirty hole in the wall)
Best bar to watch a game? The Pint (Downtown, Whyte Ave)
Best place to buy an Oilers jersey? Pick it up off the ice for free at the end of the game.
Best nightlife? Black Dog (Whyte Ave), Mercer Tavern (104th street)

I would suggest going to Whyte Avenue during the daytime (Saturday afternoon) and Jasper Avenue in the evening.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Sweet thanks guys! Hope its a fun stay. I'm thinking about going to Jasper for a day as well.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I would suggest going to Whyte Avenue during the daytime (Saturday afternoon) and Jasper Avenue in the evening.

Is that sort of way of things as far as 'tailgating' if you wanna call it that. I'm going to the game at night.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
For pubs, I like Craft(Jasper), Underground(Jasper), and pourhouse(Whyte). I am a fan of beer. I'm also partial to the Duke of Argyllat the Four Points, as far as dives go.

As far a clubs, I used to work at one of the West Ed clubs, nowadays I find them annoying as balls. I guess I'm just old now.

And it's not Pizza, but I like Dadeos on Whyte for foodstuffs.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Is that sort of way of things as far as 'tailgating' if you wanna call it that. I'm going to the game at night.

If you're taking the LRT, Craft and Underground are right off of Central Station. That's usually where I pregame. There's plenty of other places in that area, too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I totally forget about Craft, that's probably a great place to go before. Its a busy place before and right by the LRT.

At Hudsons most people go for the Game and stay after, however before its a bit slower.

Im not a fan of the West Ed bars as you are more isolated so if you don't like Hudsons or more relaxed pub styles then you have to cab into Whyte or Jasper ave. Both Jasper and Whyte have similar bars but a lot more options

The indoor pub crawl in West Ed is a pretty cool (and warm thing) to do

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In other OT, Edmonton needs a National like yesterday. One of my favourite spots in Calgary

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
lol. I know what you mean. maybe I could help if he considered nightlife as up to about 9:00pm.
:laugh:

You know you're getting old when you look forward to Eastern Conference road trips since they'll allow you to turn in at a decent hour; that is, between 9 and 10. :D

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
4 hours each way or so? I can do it, i drive a bunch all the time. Leave early and sleep late;)

I've made it 3 hours ;)

But yeah, the Jasper trip is highly recommended, especially if you've never seen the Rockies. Unbelievable sights.

As for other Edmonton attractions, there's the Muttart, the Legislature, and a walk along the River Valley/University campus.... Eh

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Best place for pizza- Capital.

Best nightlife- Whyte or Jasper.

Best Bar to watch a game- Brewhouse.

Best place to buy a jersey- Oiler store in Kingsway mall.

Other interesting places to eat- Padmanadi http://www.padmanadi.com/, Tres Carnales http://trescarnales.com/, Famoso http://www.famoso.ca/, High Level Diner http://highleveldiner.com/.

I'll vouch for Capital. It's dine in or take out only (no delivery) and as far as I know North side only unless they've opened new locations.

Conveniently Swiss donair is sandwiched nicely between two Capital locations on 144thAve.

It's generally viewed as the or one of the best donair joints in Edmonton.

Can nail two birds with one stone.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
X2

Really like that place. Beer options are killer. Good atmosphere too.

I am in no way in the know about bar ownership. But does the same group own Craft and National? With the success of Craft youd think National would be eyeing up Edmonton. Central and Pint do well too, and similar atmosphere

They should look to putting one where Sherlock Holmes is. Or somewhere on Whyte (lot of empty lots)

Oct 15, 2008
I am in no way in the know about bar ownership. But does the same group own Craft and National? With the success of Craft youd think National would be eyeing up Edmonton. Central and Pint do well too, and similar atmosphere

They should look to putting one where Sherlock Holmes is. Or somewhere on Whyte (lot of empty lots)

Didnt council put an embargo on new bars in Old Strathcona?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad