Speculation: OT: Do you think the Tampa Bay Lightning can or will be the next NHL dynasty? (Edit: hahaha, nope)

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
They are crushing it this year, cruising and beating everybody by a wide margin. Consider this that most are aware of:

1. Kucherov is beasting and leading the points race by 9 in spite of Kaner's recent explosion.
2. They are in the race for the Vezina tropy.
3. Their D led by Hedman is rock solid and close to elite.
4. Their special teams are incredible: 1st in power play goal % & 2nd in penalty killing %
5. A good part of their core is signed long term.

What's your opinion about them bringing the Cup home this year and in multiple seasons to come?

Last edited:

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
I think a lot of their success is going to come down to health, then at some point they're going to be in cap hell, but they are probably going to be cup favorites for a few years here.
Off the top of my head Point and Vasilevskiy are both gonna be getting big checks in the next few years.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Cooper is only thing holding them back

If they fail again this year TB would be great place for Q to land

I disagree, his inability to change/update his coaching system hurts him,
i think he is almost history what comes to coaching in the NHL.

He should go to Europe. To Switzerland or to KHL, coaching one of the National teams could be one possibility
Switzerland,Germany,Denmark,Latvia, etc., heck i would try GB for the challenge.

Reactions: vshun

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Still havent won a cup with their core. And theyve been contenders for years, so no

Well, they almost won one...

Seriously, they have all of the ingredients to win this year and win more. Obviously, the problem will be the salary cap. If they are going to have a dynasty, I think it needs to start with back to back Cups while Vasilevskiy is on a 3.5M cap hit.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I will say this: The Hawks had no business beating them in 2015. Bishop getting injured completely changed that series.

giphy.gif

Even at his best, Bishop was never a world beater. Not to mention the Hawks only having 4 defenseman that series...

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I will say this: The Hawks had no business beating them in 2015. Bishop getting injured completely changed that series.

I think their skaters were a tad better for sure. But Crow put that series on lockdown.

2 goals allowed in the final 3 games. This was when he reached his maximum ability.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They need to start winning Cups, or a single Cup, before this is a conversation. They’ve been a great team for pretty much the last 4 years and have zero Cups to show for it.

I think this year is their year though

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I disagree, his inability to change/update his coaching system hurts him,
i think he is almost history what comes to coaching in the NHL.

He should go to Europe. To Switzerland or to KHL, coaching one of the National teams could be one possibility
Switzerland,Germany,Denmark,Latvia, etc., heck i would try GB for the challenge.

Yeah Q is not going to do that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Even at his best, Bishop was never a world beater. Not to mention the Hawks only having 4 defenseman that series...

I think their skaters were a tad better for sure. But Crow put that series on lockdown.
That was why the Hawks had no business winning. When your bottom pairing is two of TVR coming off of a bad injury, Rundblad and the corpse of Kimmo Timonen, you have no business winning a Cup. I'm still shocked they won that series. Keith and Crawford had a lot to do with it, but let's not forget that the Hawks were down 2-1 before Bishop got hurt.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Cooper is only thing holding them back

If they fail again this year TB would be great place for Q to land
Agree whole heartedly.

I've been saying since he was fired he should kick back, relax and wait to see what shakes out in the summer.
TBay or possibly Pittsburgh could become available if the playoffs don't go as planned.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Well, they almost won one...

Seriously, they have all of the ingredients to win this year and win more. Obviously, the problem will be the salary cap. If they are going to have a dynasty, I think it needs to start with back to back Cups while Vasilevskiy is on a 3.5M cap hit.
Yeah but unfortunately almost doesnt count for anything. Believe me for 2014s sake i wish it did :(. Still, they have to win it this year if they want to become a dynasty, even then, its still to early to even bring up the possibility of them becoming a dynasty.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
If the Lightning don't win the Cup this year, they are the biggest underachievers in the last five seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad