OT: Darcy's Pub in Victoria is now a Flames bar

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
I've travelled Alberta the last year and have only seen on out of place team bar in the province, the Mad Hatter in Lethbridge... Not Canuck bars so far, Canuck fans are in numbers though.
the Mad Hatter closed. Where ever you go in Lethbridge...Average Joe's, Scores , Shark Club you will usually get a good group of Canucks fans.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
the Mad Hatter closed. Where ever you go in Lethbridge...Average Joe's, Scores , Shark Club you will usually get a good group of Canucks fans.

Oh really? It was earlylish spring I was around that area. I guess its a shame, thats were I ate when I was in the area.

Thats one great thing about Alberta, theres lots of BCers here so I never fear Canucks gear anywhere I go

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I wore my Canucks gear in Winnipeg all the time but I got heckled by the idiots, hotheads and rednecks in Calgary so I put my stuff away and only wear it when I'm in Vancouver or back in Winnipeg.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
Time zone? Localish team? TV coverage?

Victoria's got quite a few old people from Alberta and UVic has tons of kids from Calgary/Southern Alberta so it's not really that surprising.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
Oh really? It was earlylish spring I was around that area. I guess its a shame, thats were I ate when I was in the area.

Thats one great thing about Alberta, theres lots of BCers here so I never fear Canucks gear anywhere I go

Yea went there 2-3 weeks ago and it was shutdown...was a nice spot so I'm sure someone will re-open it eventually.

In Lethbridge the Flames fans seem to be a timid bunch...I've walked through large groups of Flames fans with my Jersey on and they just mind their own business(I am a fairly large guy so that might have something to do with it.)...the owner of Scores is a big Flames fan and everytime I go there we trash talk back and forth..then we have a shot and laugh at my buddy who is an Oiler fan.

dhabums*

Victoria's got quite a few old people from Alberta and UVic has tons of kids from Calgary/Southern Alberta so it's not really that surprising.

People FROM Victoria are generally Canucks fans. I wouldn't consider a UVic student from Calgary a "Victoria fan".

FruityPants3*

It's a silly business model to align your production so closely with a single franchise, since your success becomes tied to theirs. It's only a few years ago that the Flames couldn't sell out the building.

newostar

Jul 22, 2008
Victoria is pretty lame in terms of Canuck fans congregating for games at bars. Most people here have parties with big screen tvs, HD, and cheap beers.

We are discreet fans. Let the flamers flame at Darcy's.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
UVic has tons of kids from Calgary/Southern Alberta so it's not really that surprising.

This.

I remember my first few days during my first year. There are a TON of people from Alberta, Calgary in particular, that atttend UVic. I remember my first few days of first year, and it seemed like everyone I talked to was from Calgary. I'm not sure what it's like now, as that was a few years ago, but I'm assuming it's the same deal now.

As for the other comments about Darcy's - I complete agree. The only plus it had going for it awhile ago was before it started ID'ing everyone. It made going out with those lovely dual entry kids a lot easier :)

Captain Charisma*

hmmmm, come to think of it...I dont think there is a Canucks Bar in Calgary?!

Can someone confirm this? Everytime the Canucks are in town you are seeing more and more Blue Jerseys.

If not, I say we open one right next to Flames Central and let the street brawls commence!

Whos with me?! :yo:

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge

Can someone confirm this? Everytime the Canucks are in town you are seeing more and more Blue Jerseys.

If not, I say we open one right next to Flames Central and let the street brawls commence!

:yo: :yo: :yo: :yo:

it would be worth the drive.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Best game I ever watched was the 2002 Olympic gold medal match at the UVic campus pub (yes, there's only one).

Knocked back many a tasty pint on that patio too. Maybe being a student wasn't so bad - beers between classes, beers instead of classes. mmmm.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I wore my Canucks gear in Winnipeg all the time but I got heckled by the idiots, hotheads and rednecks in Calgary so I put my stuff away and only wear it when I'm in Vancouver or back in Winnipeg.

Calgary is my Alberta home base and haven't really had a problem. I was worried the first time I went to a Flames/Canucks game wearing my jersey, covered it up on the C-Train on the way in. Nucks were up for the first two periods and end up losing that game. Even with a few 'pops' in me and going at with the Flamers (all in good fun) I never had trouble, hell I was standing up and cheering when the Flames got a penalty. After the game, the Flamers in the section shook my hand as we left and said it was a great time. Riding the C-Train back was fine too, just good fun trash talking, nothing serious. Whereas I've seen Wild fans get harassed in Vancouver after a Canuck victory. Granted a couple of Oiler fans were beated a week later in Calgary. It seems that Edmonton and Calgary hate eachother like Montreal and Toronto.

Onegirl at the local Starbucks won't serve me ever because she knows I'm a Canuck fan, trash talk every time. I love it. 7-11, malls, CanTire, whereever you go in Calgary wearing Canuck gear starts up fun trash talk. Never had a bad experience there, so far...

Dirkph

Mancrush = Malhotra
Mar 23, 2009
Victoria
UVic is a haven for Flames fans. Thankfully, this is my last semester there! At least for now...

There are many Calgarians on campus. I have tons of friends that I've met at UVic that are fanatic Flames fans. I'm not sure why they all migrate here. Maybe to piss Canucks fans off.

I do have a Burrows jersey, but since no other Canucks fans show off their colours, I feel weird doing it!

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site

A Canucks bar on the Red Mile? Unless the Canucks were in town, it may be the only place I wouldn't wear a jersey... ah who am I kidding I love to stir the pot

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
UVic is a haven for Flames fans. Thankfully, this is my last semester there! At least for now...

There are many Calgarians on campus. I have tons of friends that I've met at UVic that are fanatic Flames fans. I'm not sure why they all migrate here. Maybe to piss Canucks fans off.

I do have a Burrows jersey, but since no other Canucks fans show off their colours, I feel weird doing it!
I wear my Canucks jersey waaaaaaaay more since I moved here 2 years ago.

dhabums*

By that logic, everybody east of the Port Mann should be a Flames fan.

Not considering the city of Vancouver (and by extension the GVRD) has an NHL team. Are you honestly this confused about fans being geographically connected to a team?

tesplen

Jan 26, 2006
Darcy's sucks. I went there once, and that was enough. Now that it's declared itself a "Flames bar" I guess it sucks even more. It's a fitting venue for Flames fans, I guess.

The Prairie Inn out in Saanichton is great for Canucks games.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

UVic is a very white, English speaking school. Calgarians might want to get out of province, but they don't want to feel uncomfortable, do they?

Also, it has a bit of a reputation as a party school, undeservedly IMO. Things die down there pretty quick after the first week or so (or at least they did 10 years ago).

Trae

Calgary
Pretty dated bump here, but by chance, any of you gents know if this place would have the LAK/CGY game on tomorrow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad