OT: Coming to Pitt for the Finals

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
This is a great story. Can't wait to see this story on NHL.com. Throw in a shout-out to HFboards.com Pens forum! :yo:

GernerPSU

Jun 4, 2006
State College
I've sat in a bunch of different sections, and I don't find E as good as B, but it's suprising how good the view is from up there. (Probably because it's kind of scary steep.)

(The one time I sat 2 rows back in A, I didn't like the seats -- you're really close to the action, but you can't see things as well.)
I sat on the glass once, and it was definitely an amazing experience. You really get a sense for the players skill and speed. To see Sid do a spin-o-rama about 6 feet from you is something special. That said, I wouldn't want season tickets there because its very hard to follow the play on the other end and even some on your end.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
You realize that if we keep winning with you in attendance, you've got to stay and go to Detroit, right?

This must be a sweet experience, so enjoy!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What can i say?! I was totally blown away by the whole spectacle.

It's all ever-so-slightly blurry for me as i had had quite a few 'shandys' before and during the game, but it was just amazing.

It's totally different to watching a game on TV, its much harder to understand and interpret players positioning etc which just makes me admire hockey players even more having seen an NHL game up close.

The atmosphere was even better than i had imagined, it really was nothing like anything i have ever experienced before, despite spending 7 years as a season ticket holder at Fulham in the EPL (granted, we didn't have much to shout about). This was just unreal, the place looked amazing with everyone dressed in white, waving towels, high fiving every hand in sight!

I'm pretty much addicted. I hope i can get a ticket in a similar area for Saturday, i cannot wait, i really can't!

A bit late in saying this but if you called the Pens up and let them know how far you came and that NHL.com is doing a story they just might hook you up with one. The Pens are amazing with public relations and this sounds like one of those stories that they would love to be behind.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
You realize that if we keep winning with you in attendance, you've got to stay and go to Detroit, right?

This must be a sweet experience, so enjoy!

Yeh, well im in town for game 5, so i'll go to Mellon for that, that's just as good right?

And i just won't tell you when i go home, so you can pretend im here all the way through to game 7.:sarcasm:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Yeh, well im in town for game 5, so i'll go to Mellon for that, that's just as good right?

And i just won't tell you when i go home, so you can pretend im here all the way through to game 7.:sarcasm:

No, you HAVE to go to Detroit. You might want to invest in a bullet proof vest first, though.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well, my Mellon Arena experience would have been a lot better with a Game 4 win but it was a great experience nevertheless. I don't know how often I'd be willing to pull it off though, considering roughly 20 hours of driving for 2.5 hours of excitement.

Anyways, the crowd at Mellon is outstanding. In Montreal, we are generally considered to be the standard by which all other crowds are measured, but the Mellon crowd is also fantastic. The music played at Mellon is great, and the buzz is electric. We wound up with great seats...upper level but first row behind the Penguins net for two periods, so the view was great. It's just too bad the game was so frustrating to endure. But kudos to everyone who loves hockey in Pittsburgh. When we entered the city, there were people camping out on a rooftop partying and displaying a fake Stanley Cup. That's what you wanna see when you enter a city.

Oh, and PNC Park is amazing. We just got a quick view but man is it an impressive looking stadium. Heinz Field too, but the baseball park is something special.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The only advice you need...

primanti-logo2.gif

primanti.jpg

You can thank me later... ;)

You were right. We tried this interestingly configured sandwich with coleslaw and fries INSIDE and it was outstanding...even at 2:30am after a loss, it was still amazingly good.

Nice call, and thanks!

Leroux 66

May 22, 2007
the game and the experience was amazing and better than me and my cousin could have ever dreamed of, the only way it could have been better was with a win, and our seats in e18 were surprisingly good, the builiding was electric especially after hossa's goal and when chanting gary gary gary, the hossa goal was one of the most amazing feelings ive ever had.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I bumped this back to the top because we have a lot of fans asking about information to Pittsburgh.

Could we maybe get this stickied to the top to help out the good people who are willing to spend money to come to our great city?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Sorry for the intentional bump! But my wife just surprised me to tell me we are going to Pittsburgh for the final 2 regular season games April 12/13th! It's been 6 years since I came for the finals, I am so excited to check out CEC! And to have my wife experience a home Pens game!!

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Sorry for the intentional bump! But my wife just surprised me to tell me we are going to Pittsburgh for the final 2 regular season games April 12/13th! It's been 6 years since I came for the finals, I am so excited to check out CEC! And to have my wife experience a home Pens game!!

Wow, GFF..........now there's a blast from the past.

Great news that you will be back in the Burgh. Good stuff.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My God man.. welcomeback. I'll be at the last game. Section 102. Hit me up with a PM so I can buy you a beer.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
Travelling to the 'Burgh for a game and need some help (Tickets / Seats)

Hey! Canadian Pens fan here. I was looking to make a trip to Pittsburgh to see a game live @ home in the Playoffs. I have the time to do it so I am thinking of Game 3 or Game 4. It has been a life dream of mine to do this. I had a ticket to G7 in Detroit in 2009 but my travel accommodations went haywire. Last year I was going to be splurging on a SCF ticket but I separated my shoulder again and also came down with a bad case of my kidneys and liver wanted to kill me. I gotta do it this year (though I just had a surgery 13 days ago to repair my shoulder... I have time off because of it and want to see a game)

Where is the best / most trust worthy place to get a ticket? I have anxiety issues and it would bug me until I got past any ushers if I wasn't sure on the authenticity of the ticket.

I usually prefer watching from afar as too close doesn't let me see the nuances of the game as much. Close enough to see the action and names, but far enough that I can see the entire ice. Seating recommendations? Looking for best bang for my buck seats.

Is there any groups going to the game that would not mind taking a Canadian with them? Would love to experience it with some die hard Pens fans.

If you have an extra ticket, we can talk about that, too.

My plan is pretty simple; fly in the morning of the game, check out some local sights and grab some food, go to the game, and then either a hotel for the night or just go back to the airport to wait for my flight home the next day.

Any thoughts or help? Is there a better place to ask this question?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Ok it's happening again I'm coming to Pittsburgh!

I'm on my own again this time and will stay as long as the Pens are alive!!

To help me stay longer I am on a bit more of a budget so I probably won't get inside the arena for a game unless something really really good value comes up!!

For that reason I am thinking of catching the game at the big screen so I have a few questions:

1. Is the screen there for road games as well?
2. What time to I need to get there?
3. Do I need to bring a chair or something?
4. Where is the best place to see the screen?
5. Is it worth it? Or is there somewhere better to watch the game if I'm not in the arena?

On a more OT note, I am still working out my long term accommodation while I'm here so if anyone knows of a room to rent or good value places to stay then please PM me. I am hoping to try to do some voluntary work while I'm here too so if anyone knows of anywhere that might need some help or anything then again please PM me.

It feels good to be coming 'home'!!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Longer term, you might want to look and see if anyone needs a short-term subletter for their apartment/house. But you'd be locking yourself into at least a month, I guess. :dunno: But being a university town, there's usually people down for that sort of arrangement.

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
Unfortunately, the big screen does not air road games. Only home games.

Did you plan on renting a car? And did you want to stay within walking distance to the arena or did it not matter? For instance, there are a ton more options to stay that are a very short and easy drive/Uber ride to the arena, but not within reasonable walking distance per say.

I've lived here my entire life and am pretty in the know in regards to cool spots, sights, restaurants, etc., so feel free to private message me with any questions you may have. I would be more than happy to give you some advise and pointers.

Edit: In the original post, the user was 20. He bumped this thread and he is now nearing 30 in age. I feel like I just stepped into a time machine or something. Whoa.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad