OT: Blue Bonnets Racetrack/Baseball stadium.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Has there been any talk of building a baseball stadium on the old Blue Bonnets site?

Just saw the life after people pics of how the track is being reclaimed .

Nynja*

I dont think its a big enough area to support a major stadium

I could be wrong though

Saintpatrick*

Crappy location. For baseball to succeed here, it's downtown or bust.

Yep the city had a golden opportunity to build one downtown near the Bell Center and couldn't get it done. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Crappy location. For baseball to succeed here, it's downtown or bust.

Its the best location outside of downtown. Large affluent anglo community of fans live nearby. They would also connect Cavendish south to the 40 and can make it very accessible for west islanders. By having it near decarie the season ticket base will likely double or triple vs the Olympic area.

Keep it as far as possible from the east.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
The hippodrome? I rather have a baseball stadium on the east end. What a crappy location.

But yeah, downtown or nothing.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Its the best location outside of downtown. Large affluent anglo community of fans live nearby. They would also connect Cavendish south to the 40 and can make it very accessible for west islanders. By having it near decarie the season ticket base will likely double or triple vs the Olympic area.

Keep it as far as possible from the east.

With the traffic there, it's easier to get to the Olympic Stadium via the subway...

It's an awfull location and as someone mentioned it, I don't want to pay a single dollar for that, downtown or not.

... and I love baseball.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't want to pay for this.

You'll pay for this anyway. Even if it's not done. Gov has a fixed budged for infrastructures and such. If the money doesn't go there it will go in other stupid projects. Gov will spend your money anyway. it will just spent it in even more stupid projects.

This is a myth that money not spent in infrastructures will go to health or education. Health is already using something like 50% of the approx 80 billions our gov spend every year. Pouring more money on health wont solve anything anyway.

Also the deficit is around 3 billions every year now. 400 millions is only 13% of that.

Now is not a good time to spend 400 millions on a stadium. But don't be fooled. You're money will be spent. It will be used to buy votes. It will be used to make friends rich. It will be used to create jobs via services we don't really need. It will be used to fool people that we are improving our health system while in fact we are just pouring more money on a system that would need to be rethink.

Your money will be spent and the debt will continue to grow with a new stadium or not. In the grand scheme of things a new stadium is just a drop in the ocean of bad gov spending, useless programs, corruption, ...

FranksterQc

Nov 17, 2010
Serious?

Everyone has been saying the outside of downtown location of the stadium is it's biggest downfall and you want to repeat that mistake?

If anything that location is worse than the big O's.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Serious?

Everyone has been saying the outside of downtown location of the stadium is it's biggest downfall and you want to repeat that mistake?

If anything that location is worse than the big O's.

The problem of the Olympic Stadium is not only the location. The non retractable roof is a big problem too. We have at the very best 2 months of summer. Wasting a warm night in a closed roof stadium doesn't sound like a good plan to most people specially when the team is playing for 450-500 only.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Baseball > soccer

I'm not a big fan of baseball. But the biggest reason I made the comment is we had crowds of 5000 and we let that team die. And now we think all of a sudden it's going to work? Just because in 198something, we had decent crowds?

I just don't believe it.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
I'm not a big fan of baseball. But the biggest reason I made the comment is we had crowds of 5000 and we let that team die. And now we think all of a sudden it's going to work? Just because in 198something, we had decent crowds?

I just don't believe it.

Really ? what about the Impact crowds?

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Really ? what about the Impact crowds?

Did I say anything about the Impact? But since you bring this up... They have some trouble selling tickets. But they still have a better average than the Expos had in their last years.

But anyway, I don't think it's related. Baseball died at a time it didn't have competition from soccer and when the Als were fairly new.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
Did I say anything about the Impact? But since you bring this up... They have some trouble selling tickets. But they still have a better average than the Expos had in their last years.

But anyway, I don't think it's related. Baseball died at a time it didn't have competition from soccer and when the Als were fairly new.

Right. Baseball is dead. The Olympic stadium will probably be empty again this year for the two Reds-Jays games next april. Just like last years' games.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

I just don't believe it.

There's a lot of reasons why the Expos only had crowds of 5000 in the last few years.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
Right. Baseball is dead. The Olympic stadium will probably be empty again this year for the two Reds-Jays games next april. Just like last years' games.

Do you think that baseball would work in Montreal? as for selling out the big O the NBA sold out in the bell centre and that does not mean Montreal is a basketball market so what is your point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad