OT - Argos Yay or Nay?

Pitt the Elder

Nov 7, 2013
Oakville, ON
Toronto really should be ashamed of not supporting their 140 year old (and most successful) franchise. The funniest thing is the bells and whistles fans who want the NFL in the city don't realize that the league would look at the Argos support and use it against bringing an NFL team here.

Oh well, too bad.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I went to an Argos game in August, and i remember every team in their division being something like 1-6 at the time while the other division was all 6-1.

So are the Argos good this year? or because their division is so bad? They got stomped at the game i was at.

I could care less about the CFL because of how little competition there is in terms of teams and talent. That is why i dont have any thought of the Argos.

Also because i dont enjoy football (i watch 0 NFL games)

Toronto is the Leafs Jays and Raptors. Not some House league football team really. I would also value the Toronto Rock above the Argos

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I went to an Argos game in August, and i remember every team in their division being something like 1-6 at the time while the other division was all 6-1.

So are the Argos good this year? or because their division is so bad? They got stomped at the game i was at.

I could care less about the CFL because of how little competition there is in terms of teams and talent. That is why i dont have any thought of the Argos.

Also because i dont enjoy football (i watch 0 NFL games)

Toronto is the Leafs Jays and Raptors. Not some House league football team really. I would also value the Toronto Rock above the Argos

I had a similar opinion when I was younger, and it was exacerbated when I went to a WPG @ TOR game several years ago. We left at halftime. It was TERRIBLE. The Argos sucked, the stadium was empty. It. Was by far the worst sporting endeavour I had ever gone on. I have come around on the league though. I cheer for the likes of Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Hamilton and now Ottawa (so the underdogs basically). And as a football fan I find the CFL exciting and entertaining.

I think this kind of thinking is an Argos/Toronto thing though. The league is great. It is the third best football league in the world (NFL 1, SEC 2). You said yourself, you don't enjoy football and don't watch NFL; combine that with the fact that football is widely regarded as the worst of the "big 4" to watch live in person, so I don't know what you were expecting from a CFL game.

As for the Argos, they have simply been mismanaged for decades. The Skydome is a horrible venue for football in general, and it is way too big for CFL either way. I believe 100% that the Argos are a BMO Field away from being the runaway success that TFC was, except they would actually be able to capitalize on that because they are capable of winning.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd say the Raptors are. Competitive in a 9 team league is questionable.

Football will always be >>>> Basketball

Toronto really should be ashamed of not supporting their 140 year old (and most successful) franchise. The funniest thing is the bells and whistles fans who want the NFL in the city don't realize that the league would look at the Argos support and use it against bringing an NFL team here.

Oh well, too bad.

It will have no bearing at all.

What's a "bells and whistles" fan?

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Think this deserves a much needed BUMP since the CFL season started last week and especially because the Argos pulled off an impressive OT win against the 'Riders to move to 2-0 on the season. Going to take a wild stab at this and say that some other people witnessed the awesome game this evening right? lol

CrazyCanuck89

Oct 9, 2013
St.Thomas
Think this deserves a much needed BUMP since the CFL season started last week and especially because the Argos pulled off an impressive OT win against the 'Riders to move to 2-0 on the season. Going to take a wild stab at this and say that some other people witnessed the awesome game this evening right? lol

I'm a Ti-Cats fan and even I will admit it was a great game.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Leafs /Jays interchangeable for 1st
TFC, Raptors are interchangeable for 2nd.

I can't name one player on the Argos. I think the quarter backs name is Ray but I don't know his first name.

mikebel111*

Lets bring on the playoffs!
I am a big fan of Scott Milanovich. Its kind of great he gets this team competitive even though we have a young team especially on defence. However I dont agree with starting Ray in the East Semi final. I mean yes Harris has struggled in recent weeks but Ray just doesnt seem to have it but I trust Scott. I would have Harris ready in case Ray struggles.

mikebel111*

Also goodbye to Rogers centre for Argos. Nice memories.

Best one? Argos beating the Stamps in grey cup 100. Especially since I live in Calgary and this city is pretty crazy about the Stamps.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I have lost some interest over the years, but I still have a bit of a soft spot for the Argos from my childhood and teen years. I still watch the odd game and all their playoff games.

I hope the move to BMO Field will reinvigorate the franchise. Believe it or not, the Argos used to be on the map in this city.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I enjoy watching games and root for them but it seems their following is limited. The CFL in Toronto just doesn't ring as "important" enough for casual fans who are used to the high prestige of the other teams. I don't know if the league can change that perception, but the Argos will certainly have a core of fans and the novelty of the new stadium choice will peak interest for the next season.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I have lost some interest over the years, but I still have a bit of a soft spot for the Argos from my childhood and teen years. I still watch the odd game and all their playoff games.

I hope the move to BMO Field will reinvigorate the franchise. Believe it or not, the Argos used to be on the map in this city.

I remember crowds of 30,000+ at Exhibition stadium and full colour sections of the Star Sports being devoted to the team. Good memories of Conredge Holloway and Terry Greer...

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

When did you notice the change, and what happened? I'm curious because my sports memory only goes back to 1991, and even back then I only remember it being about the Leafs and Jays. So was Argos prominence before that?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
On one hand, I'm glad the Argos are getting out of the Skydome. That place sucks for football.

On the other hand, as a TFC fan, **** there goes the quality of the pitch at BMO.

Oh well. Maybe if Toronto ever got an NFL team (chances a billion to one) they'd build a football stadium that could be shared with the Argos.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I remember crowds of 30,000+ at Exhibition stadium and full colour sections of the Star Sports being devoted to the team. Good memories of Conredge Holloway and Terry Greer...

Even in the 90's, the Dunnigan and Flutie years brought in good crowds at the Dome.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
When did you notice the change, and what happened? I'm curious because my sports memory only goes back to 1991, and even back then I only remember it being about the Leafs and Jays. So was Argos prominence before that?

It started fading about 15 years ago when the team started to struggle on the field. There was a slight resurgence after that with a Grey Cup championship led by Damon Allen, but it's been down hill ever since. Even when the Argos won the Grey Cup at home 3 years ago, it barely registered with sports fans in this city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad