OT - Argos Yay or Nay?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Yes, as my third Toronto team, far behind the Leafs and the Jays. I dislike basketball and soccer big time, so nay to the Raptors and FC.

I don't love football, but I don't hate it. But I prefer the Argos to the NFL. Why? Well since I'm not heavily into football, I simply choose to root for geography over the sport itself.

The two things that are a factor for me in terms of fandom is geography and family history. I studied this in school actually, and yes there are many other ways to become a fan of a team, but these were the most common, and what worked for me.

No NFL team in Toronto combined with my family not having a team, well how will i become a diehard?

Do I pick the team with the best player or that wins a lot? I guess I'd become another Pats fan. Do I pick a close border team? I guess I'd be another Bills or Lions fan. A historic team? I guess I'll be a 49ers or Packers fan. Etc...

Unless your dad was a fan from before you were born, or you have some tie to the city (aka you have family there or you lived there), you just kinda picked your team, you weren't born with it like me and the Leafs and Jays.

My NFL team? The Jaguars. Why? Cause I don't know anyone else who likes them, so I wanted to be unique. Do I give a damn about them? Not really. The Leafs winning a preseason game would likely have me happier than the Jaguars winning the Superbowl.

So yes, I do like the Argos, not a diehard, never even seen them play (saw one CFL game with school, TiCats vs. Als) but would definitely take them over the Raptors, FC and the entire NFL, due to my geographic/family ties to sports.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
i watch some of the games and i even attend some, but if they lose i dont care, so i voted "yes" in the poll, since it was an "or" question, if it was "and" i would have voted "no" lol

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I care for the Argos because they have Toronto attached to their name -- anything Toronto and I'm a fan (this is why I have very little interest in the NFL). They are low on the totem pole, well behind the Leafs and Jays and even the Raptors, and I don't go out of my way to watch them on TV and haven't gone to see them live in nearly 20 years. But I understand the history and tenure of the team in the city and care enough whenever there is talk of Toronto being Argo-less.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Like the Large Breasted girl's T-Shirt in the ad on this page says, "I used to care..."

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I answered No because I used to care until Ray got hurt - and now after the debacle last night against the Als, I can see us spiralling downwards for rest of the season - 6 weeks is toooooooo long.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I answered No because I used to care until Ray got hurt - and now after the debacle last night against the Als, I can see us spiralling downwards for rest of the season - 6 weeks is toooooooo long.

You know the name of the QB, you know that he got hurt and for how long, you know the result of last nights game - you care.

So far, thats three of the "No" votes that should be "Yes" votes.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I mean, in all fairness its completely asinine to assume that no one cares about the Argos or CFL.

Fact of the matter is, they draw more than the Raptors (18k avg last year with only 12 sellouts so maybe they get to 20k per if they're still in the Dome), TFC (I don't know if they still claim they sell out every game but to do so would be laughable), and since the strike have been on par with the Jays pretty much every year until this one. The only team that would consistently outdraw them at the gate would be the Leafs who crush every single team in the city 10 times over.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
You know the name of the QB, you know that he got hurt and for how long, you know the result of last nights game - you care.

So far, thats three of the "No" votes that should be "Yes" votes.

I used to care.. maybe when he returns I will care again.

Before he arrived, I didn't care - so I guess that makes me more a Ray fan, than an Argo one.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I support and watch the team.

Sometimes not easy when Ray isn't in the lineup but when he is (especially this season) you're going to see something special.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I mean, in all fairness its completely asinine to assume that no one cares about the Argos or CFL.

Fact of the matter is, they draw more than the Raptors (18k avg last year with only 12 sellouts so maybe they get to 20k per if they're still in the Dome), TFC (I don't know if they still claim they sell out every game but to do so would be laughable), and since the strike have been on par with the Jays pretty much every year until this one. The only team that would consistently outdraw them at the gate would be the Leafs who crush every single team in the city 10 times over.

Have you seen the dirt cheap (if not free) ticket prices for the Argos and the handful of games they play a year? It's a joke that you are even comparing their attendance to be on par with the Jays. They should be getting higher easily if they were relevant.

Do that same thing again with the Raptors that have been celler dwellers since their inception. The Argos won a few grey cups recently and that's the attendance they get?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
When there's no jays, leafs/preds, ny giants, I'll catch a game. I still enjoy watching Argo games, there's just so much competition for my attention sports wise.

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
Next to the Jays it's my choice for Toronto teams (not a fan of MLSE products so there goes 75% of the teams in this city). Became a fan of the game when out east watching college ball and Alouette games, so when I moved back here, decided to get on the Argo bandwagon and it went from there. If they're playing, I'm usually at the local watering hole watching it.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Have you seen the dirt cheap (if not free) ticket prices for the Argos and the handful of games they play a year? It's a joke that you are even comparing their attendance to be on par with the Jays. They should be getting higher easily if they were relevant.

Do that same thing again with the Raptors that have been celler dwellers since their inception. The Argos won a few grey cups recently and that's the attendance they get?

Yeah, because the one thing the Jays don't have is cheap ticket prices and a ton of comps :help:

Looking at past attendance data, over the past 10 years the Argos actually seem to draw more (close to 30k per) when they're terrible, so perhaps they should consider that.

Also they've won one Grey Cup in the past 9 years (which of course in an 8 team league is actually below average), so let's not act like they're some dynastic CFL franchise or anything...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad