OT: Are any Outdoor Rinks in Ottawa open?

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Wow, that's a nice home rink. Should be really nice this year too since it's supposed to be a pretty cold winter.

I was out last year in -40 skating, so I'll be out as soon as the rinks are ready.

No kidding. Who let's the cold keep you off the ODR? I never have. Hell, I remember numerous occasions of playing in -25 to -40 in a t shirt because we were too hot from skating.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
78nx.jpg

:hockey:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Hey man,

I'm building a skating rink in my backyard and any helpful tips you could give me. I'm trying to figure whats the best and efficient way to get good ice. I've even out the slop in my backyard with snow and put plastic tarp over it(just realized there is some holes) so I decided to use snow as a base on top of the plastic tarp. I've water the snow as the base now and just wondering what is the next steps I should do? Do I layer it with more water or do I flood it?

Make yourself one of these:
50x8.jpg

Layer the low spots, and chop away at the highs. Although with weather like this I can't see a flood hurting unless you're losing water somewhere.

05dq.jpg

I run the hose from the laundry sink out the basement window and do a quick hot water cleaning and it looks like glass by the time I finish.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I've been out at the sandy hill rink the past two nights. Not a single soul out there except for my roommate and I. Ice is decent, THERE IS NO NETS THOUGH WHAT THE ****?!?!

The lights were on last night, but not tonight. Hopefully it picks up once more students are home from winter break.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I've been out at the sandy hill rink the past two nights. Not a single soul out there except for my roommate and I. Ice is decent, THERE IS NO NETS THOUGH WHAT THE ****?!?!

The lights were on last night, but not tonight. Hopefully it picks up once more students are home from winter break.

i walked by it on firday around 5 seamed pretty busy to me, it was a bunch kids playing in their sens jerseys

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Too warm Today, the city doesn't want the ice ruined by skating on soft ice/water!

Getting colder tonight, I'm sure they'll be back on Tomorrow.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Too warm Today, the city doesn't want the ice ruined by skating on soft ice/water!

Getting colder tonight, I'm sure they'll be back on Tomorrow.

Ya I guess during the day today it was a bit warm. After the sun went down (when I went) It was -7 and the ice was really nice.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
i walked by it on firday around 5 seamed pretty busy to me, it was a bunch kids playing in their sens jerseys

:(

I was hoping it would be more people my age (23). Hopefully after the break is over. My balcony overlooks the rink so I get a pretty nice view. I work until 6pm though so I'm pretty reliant on the lights.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
I went today as well. Cold wasn't too bad except for the fact that it renders the grip on my sticks useless :( can't shoot at all when it's this cold. Some of these kids at the rink need to be taught to distribute the puck ;)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The only thing that gets cold is my hands, and even that isn't bad because your hockey gloves shield them from the wind chill.

I usually will wear two pairs of socks, a pair or two of long johns (usually just one), some ghetto looking thick Wal-Mart track pants, followed by about four-five layers on my upper body. A t-shirt, regular long sleeve shirt, a sweater or two, and what ever out dated 90's CCM jersey I pull out of my closet.

Throw in a toque, and you're in business.

Having a beard can help.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
You guys should definitely check out the rink at Pauline Vanier. I was there today and it felt like it was done by a Zamboni.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
You guys should definitely check out the rink at Pauline Vanier. I was there today and it felt like it was done by a Zamboni.

I'm pretty sure it IS done by a zamboni!

I'm heading to the Sandy Hill rink in a little bit, anyone in the area come on by!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Make yourself one of these:
50x8.jpg

What is that thing? I can't figure it out...it looks the like hose doesn't have water come out anywhere on the broom or the black thing.

First year I built a rink at my new place as son just turned 3 and did the same thing...out the window from the laundry sink and a little warm water does wonders. The few days of warm weather + rain in Jan & Feb ended up making it perfect ice.

Your rink looks pretty large - what are the dimensions? Mine is good for a little kid but only 28' X 14'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad