OT: Are any Outdoor Rinks in Ottawa open?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
My friends and I are on high alert for ODR's!

The rink in Carp (beside the arena) is usually one of the first to be up. If it's not up I doubt there are any in the city that are up yet.

I need to head to it for a scouting mission to see it's progress.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
My friends and I are on high alert for ODR's!

The rink in Carp (beside the arena) is usually one of the first to be up. If it's not up I doubt there are any in the city that are up yet.

I need to head to it for a scouting mission to see it's progress.

I used to drive from bhaven to the Carp rink as it was essentially an indoor rink quality wise minus the roof....love that they are able to get the boni right out there.

Really weird that we do not have more of these cooling ice pads in the city, i guess we have the one by city hall but doesn't really do much for those of us who like to play puck. I had read Toronto has 50+ of these rinks and id imagine quite a few of them are up right now. With all the city money invested in random bs projects one would think money for a few hockey rinks in CANADA's CAPITAL would be readily available.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I used to drive from bhaven to the Carp rink as it was essentially an indoor rink quality wise minus the roof....love that they are able to get the boni right out there.

Really weird that we do not have more of these cooling ice pads in the city, i guess we have the one by city hall but doesn't really do much for those of us who like to play puck. I had read Toronto has 50+ of these rinks and id imagine quite a few of them are up right now. With all the city money invested in random bs projects one would think money for a few hockey rinks in CANADA's CAPITAL would be readily available.

Wow, really? It would be amazing if we could get something like that here in Ottawa. I have no interest in going on the rink of dreams, but if we could get ice pads like that around the city that you could play hockey on (not just skate) I would be thrilled.

I doubt it though, wasn't it only 3-4 years ago that city council almost shut down ODRs in Ottawa to save money?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would imagine that the one in front of Ben Franklin is open since it's a cooling pad (IIRC), but other than that all the rinks I've gone by have the boards up but no flooding.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Pre- and post-flooding tonight:

msj0.jpg

y9vb.jpg

Rinks will be ready real soon, but I don't know who'll brave the temperature in the next few days. :dunno:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wow, that's a nice home rink. Should be really nice this year too since it's supposed to be a pretty cold winter.

I was out last year in -40 skating, so I'll be out as soon as the rinks are ready.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Pumphouse park in Kanata had a bunch of workers there yesterday, so I figure they are gearing up to open this weekend...

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
People have been skating on one side of Brown's Inlet for a couple of days already.

Not an outdoor rink in the usual sense, but definitely some puck going on there.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yet to see a rink even close to being ready yet...booo....back in the day when there were less criminals running the city the rinks had a budget with an attendee who was reasonably paid and were all open well before christmas weather permitting of course, now your lucky to get a few good games in outside at all during the winter unless the local users put in the extra effort clearing snow etc...if only hockey were as popular as winter cycling in this city!

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
My Rink in Orleans (Marsha Park) will be open by the weekend. I've been busting my ass to get it going. I'm going to flood again right now. It's starting to come together.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I worked for the Outdoor Rink program with the City for a few years, the contracts always stipulate that rink operators gear up to have the rinks open January and Feb. December has generally been too inconsistent to try and have rinks up yet. Look at last week, rain, and warm weather, that would have killed any progress people had made. generally you need to a decent amount of snow to make up the base, and you need roughly 5 days in a row of around -5 to -10 (or colder) in order to get the ice the a reasonable thickness. If a warm day hits, or worse a string of warm days and melt the ice, then the operator has to start from scratch, especially if people use the rink on those warm days. Alot of the rink operators have been doing it for years, and have probably come to realize that there's no point in starting too early due to weather, and the fact that its not in their contract. Most will begin the labour intensive process of prepping the rink around Xmas.

The contracts are always given to community associations first and foremost, who then generally rely on volunteers to do the work, and use the money for a community day, etc. If a charitable organization does not seek the contract of a particular rink, then 'private' private operators can get the contract. When I worked there about 5 years ago there were over 255 rinks, and generally the contract amounts were $1,000ish to $2,000ish with 'larger' rinks (i.e. two hockey rinks, and an ice surface) getting a bit more. It's certainly not a lot of money for the amount of work that goes in it.

I hope this helps to explain things a little better, as to why no rinks seem to be running right now.

if come first week of January, your local rink seems to have had nothing done, give the city a call at 580-2590, and let them know. There are only 6 people supervising 255 rinks. They do go out every week to every rink, but obviously can't do it every day. Also if you want to help out at a rink, they can pass on your info to the operator, give them a call. There are never enough volunteers for rinks, and the money the operators get is certainly not very much.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
At times like this I wish I still lived at my old place in Bridlewood. Now I'm old enough to be one of those poor volunteers that go water the rinks at midnight. Now I live in the middle of town.

New plan - steal fire hose and pipe wrench.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
At times like this I wish I still lived at my old place in Bridlewood. Now I'm old enough to be one of those poor volunteers that go water the rinks at midnight. Now I live in the middle of town.

New plan - steal fire hose and pipe wrench.

The rink at Bridlewood school is typically my go-to rink. Extremely big, and is rarely crowded.

I'm getting to the point where I'd love to volunteer and help out.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The rink at Bridlewood school is typically my go-to rink. Extremely big, and is rarely crowded.

I'm getting to the point where I'd love to volunteer and help out.

I used to back on to the one at Huntsman park, so that was mine. But the one at BW school is stellar because of the high fencing.

SilverRed

Jan 19, 2011
I worked for the Outdoor Rink program with the City for a few years, the contracts always stipulate that rink operators gear up to have the rinks open January and Feb. December has generally been too inconsistent to try and have rinks up yet. Look at last week, rain, and warm weather, that would have killed any progress people had made. generally you need to a decent amount of snow to make up the base, and you need roughly 5 days in a row of around -5 to -10 (or colder) in order to get the ice the a reasonable thickness. If a warm day hits, or worse a string of warm days and melt the ice, then the operator has to start from scratch, especially if people use the rink on those warm days. Alot of the rink operators have been doing it for years, and have probably come to realize that there's no point in starting too early due to weather, and the fact that its not in their contract. Most will begin the labour intensive process of prepping the rink around Xmas.

The contracts are always given to community associations first and foremost, who then generally rely on volunteers to do the work, and use the money for a community day, etc. If a charitable organization does not seek the contract of a particular rink, then 'private' private operators can get the contract. When I worked there about 5 years ago there were over 255 rinks, and generally the contract amounts were $1,000ish to $2,000ish with 'larger' rinks (i.e. two hockey rinks, and an ice surface) getting a bit more. It's certainly not a lot of money for the amount of work that goes in it.

I hope this helps to explain things a little better, as to why no rinks seem to be running right now.

if come first week of January, your local rink seems to have had nothing done, give the city a call at 580-2590, and let them know. There are only 6 people supervising 255 rinks. They do go out every week to every rink, but obviously can't do it every day. Also if you want to help out at a rink, they can pass on your info to the operator, give them a call. There are never enough volunteers for rinks, and the money the operators get is certainly not very much.

Hey man,

I'm building a skating rink in my backyard and any helpful tips you could give me. I'm trying to figure whats the best and efficient way to get good ice. I've even out the slop in my backyard with snow and put plastic tarp over it(just realized there is some holes) so I decided to use snow as a base on top of the plastic tarp. I've water the snow as the base now and just wondering what is the next steps I should do? Do I layer it with more water or do I flood it?

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Hey man,

I'm building a skating rink in my backyard and any helpful tips you could give me. I'm trying to figure whats the best and efficient way to get good ice. I've even out the slop in my backyard with snow and put plastic tarp over it(just realized there is some holes) so I decided to use snow as a base on top of the plastic tarp. I've water the snow as the base now and just wondering what is the next steps I should do? Do I layer it with more water or do I flood it?

Here's a tip; listen to Yorkie on TSN radio from 10-2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad