OT: Are any Outdoor Rinks in Ottawa open?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Make yourself one of these:
50x8.jpg

What is that thing? I can't figure it out...it looks the like hose doesn't have water come out anywhere on the broom or the black thing.

First year I built a rink at my new place as son just turned 3 and did the same thing...out the window from the laundry sink and a little warm water does wonders. The few days of warm weather + rain in Jan & Feb ended up making it perfect ice.

Your rink looks pretty large - what are the dimensions? Mine is good for a little kid but only 28' X 14'

I punched holes throughout the black hose so that water pours (mostly) on the mat, and the mat spreads it fairly evenly. I drag it behind me so the broom picks up any snow or twigs and needles that have fallen from the trees, before the mat resurfaces the ice.

My rink is ~35'x35' at the back and left boards, but there is a tree at the front/right corner that cuts off about 5 square feet.

SilverRed

Jan 19, 2011
I punched holes throughout the black hose so that water pours (mostly) on the mat, and the mat spreads it fairly evenly. I drag it behind me so the broom picks up any snow or twigs and needles that have fallen from the trees, before the mat resurfaces the ice.

My rink is ~35'x35' at the back and left boards, but there is a tree at the front/right corner that cuts off about 5 square feet.

How much did that cost you?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
How much did that cost you?

Sorry- how much did what cost me?

The broom was about $25 and the mat was $10. The hose was lying around the basement and the Y joint was about $5.

The rest is the shaft of an old Sherwood 5030 attached to the mat, then old skate laces strung through to keep it together.

If you mean the cost of the rink itself- that's a little more abstract, but I could break it down if you want.

Last edited:

Boggletrax

Oct 5, 2008
Anyone have an update on their local rink to share? This stupid winter won't end so I want to play some ODR. I know of two rinks with operators who flooded over the weekend after Saturday's snow, but there are no lights! Who knows of a rink with lights with a hardcore operator who is keeping their rink going??

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Barrhaven subdivision on Kilbirnie drive is open. Played on it on New Years.

Kilbirnie Park near Stonebridge Golf Course.

The ice is probably a 6/10 at best, but there isn't any holes on the main surface, just the ice is poor near the boards and a little wavy, otherwise we had a good game going

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
There is a rink open near the nepean yacht/sailing club I believe its off Lakeview
There is also a rink in briar green that is open and maintained fairly well. If your desperate you could play on the nepean public library (101 centrepoint drive.) Its open for hockey after 10pm though.

If you need locations and reviews, try this site http://www.ottawarinks.ca/en/ its pretty good and gives you a heads up if the rinks are any good.

Boggletrax

Oct 5, 2008
Bump
Anyone know of any ODRs with volunteers who are still maintaining for one last chance at a skate, with the cold weather the next couple of days?

Boggletrax

Oct 5, 2008
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, and I know outdoor rinks are closed, but I was specifically wondering about the latest pick-up scene at the Tubman Canterbury covered refrigerated rink?
Has anyone been to the adult pick up lately? (W-F-S-S from 8 to 10 pm).. are people registering in advance? What's the scene like... super crowded like when it first opened? Ages and caliber of play, is this being used as a practice for AAA 19 yo's like a few years ago? Or more like a regular ODR pickup game, Booze on bench? For the record, I'm hoping for not busy, but enough for a game, mix of ages with an average pace, and yes to booze and sesh. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad