OT - All Da Sciences

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Yep, there's some degrees that aren't worth wiping your ass with at this point. The 3 months it took to get my certification in Epic to be an overglorified IT guy is worth a hell of a lot more now than my 4 years studying music.

A lot of college degrees are junk, and you end up 50+K in debt. I tell every young kid to go to vocational school and get a certificate in welding or some other trade. Come out of it making 20+ an hour and little debt.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
A lot of college degrees are junk, and you end up 50+K in debt. I tell every young kid to go to vocational school and get a certificate in welding or some other trade. Come out of it making 20+ an hour and little debt.
Yup, best advice I could give is

1) If you go to college be something when you come out of it (i.e. engineer, CPA, teacher, nurse).
2) If you want to go get an advanced degree still follow rule #1 - a medical school or law school will take someone with a biomedical engineering degree just as well as they will take a premed/ bio/ pshch/ polysci degree.If you want to go into clinical research you will be just as well off (better actually) with a nursing degree as a bio degree.
3) If you don't have a job in mind that you want to do that requires a 4 year degree don't get one and go to vocational school

This advice coming from a someone with a bio degree

member 157595

i like learning

i am teaching myself how to code in my spare time so i can automate even more of my job. eventually they will replace me with a machine that i have coded. what a fool, i am

I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in the physical sciences, and did a career change to software engineer years ago.

I get paid a lot more now and THERE ARE ALSO MORE MEMES. I do not regret this decision.

member 157595

I used to be a HS teacher. One of my students made fun of another kid with discipline issues that changed to a vocational school (and who was doing well with the hands-on stuff).

My comment to the kid was almost verbatim "You will not be laughing when he makes good money at 19 while you're accumulating debt you're probably not going to be able to pay off and that stays with you for life."

To no one's great surprise, I resigned that year and left the profession for good.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I received a BS in Environmental Earth Science, which leaned more towards Geology than the tree hugging end. I did it because it was too late to start Biology at my school. Classes about glaciers can be lapped by actual glaciers. Wish I did Biology but I did get to see cool things and work in places I wouldn’t have otherwise. Went to the Patagonia area for a month once. Once I moved to CO, I discovered many people in my field far smarter than me waiting tables, and couldn’t make a living at it.

Became a paramedic, now a firefighter/medic. School ended up being pretty irrelevant, you don’t need college to do what I do at all.

I do miss being in the field for something other than a search and rescue call though.

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

Thanks, that was a good read. Cancer cure conspiracy theorists are up there with anti vaxxers to me with ignorance and mistrust of people smarter than them. As if cancer isn't in fact a multitude of diseases that interact with the body in different ways, and simply killing cells in a petrie dish doesn't mean successful treatment in humans.

Click bait headlines promising a cure in x amount of time don't help, because then when it doesn't happen it adds to the conspiracy. There must have been a cover up or silencing. Maddening

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Lol, that article isn't slanted at all. It's ironic how the article decries the irresponsibility and the lack of restraint shown by the Jerusalem Post in reporting an article where no "verifiable data" is available, yet the mainstream media demonstrates the same tendencies when given the opportunity to attack the president.

wut

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Lol, that article isn't slanted at all. It's ironic how the article decries the irresponsibility and the lack of restraint shown by the Jerusalem Post in reporting an article where no "verifiable data" is available, yet the mainstream media demonstrates the same tendencies when given the opportunity to attack the president.

Wtf are you even talking about?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Wtf are you even talking about?
Catchwords "hope trumps history", "far right", "Pro Trump twitter troll", "Fox's grabby headline" (while commending the also initially reporting non-conservative NYP and Forbes for their "new, decidedly less rosy" stories posted within 24 hours) will probably trigger a conservative-minded reader to think that the article is much more about politically motivated decrying of the (specifically conservative) social media scene than "science" to which the article is nominally categorized.

There probably are more impartial articles to take down the Jerusalem Post article-advertisement about this company that's supposedly about to cure the cancer, and this one should burn in the same pyre with the HF Politics board.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Spitballing it by myself, it emerges as a fun line to balance on at which point "pro-science" ends being a scientific stance and begins to be an ideologial and political stance, especially if the directly opposing term "anti-science" gets to any extent synonymized with [some-guy-in-the-office].

Seeing that science is supposed to be the method to take away these very sort of personal ideological and political biases.

Can you say that "as a scientist, I'm opposed to this [political candidate]"?

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
the article is written terribly, but the main point that this "cure" is complete bunk science is accurate
Was that the main point though, or was the actual main point that the "far right" segment of social media and "grabby headline" Fox News started pumping it up what with being the fake news pedlars they are, whilst giving a pass to the non-nefarious NYP and Forbes, the whole presented using loaded vocabulary that gives the left-wing social media fuel to regurgitate on all the wrong that right-wing social media does.

The argument could be made that "false cure for cancer" only serves in the article as a placeholder and an example for [general variety fake news] that those certain guys spread. The point about cancer cure could quite easily be made without using words "far right" and "pro-Trump".

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Disclaimer: I kind of like them various anti-scientific hot taeks, because they give the true science and the scientific method an opportunity and also a necessity to show its true worth and value in a "show me" kind of deal. The intelligent design folks for example may be the best thing to ensure that the theory on evolution is the real deal and to purge any possible fluffy make believe frills that there might have tagged along.

The goddamn science needs to be tested, that's the whole point of science.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad