OT - All Da Sciences

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
[moved from the meme thread]

I eagerly await your book on the subject.

Would also love to hear anything you know about the gingivitis / Alzheimer's link.

There is some (not definitive) evidence that Alzheimer's is associated with a bacterial infection. So, gingivitis may be a pathogens way of entering the body and then contributing to an increased risk of Alzheimer's.

I think it's more compelling than that, on first glance. I read the article yesterday in Science Advances (the original peer-reviewed thing), and I rethought my choice of Mike&Ike candies and went to go floss. Later, I ate the Mile&Ike's, but flossed again. I'm now a bleeding mess.

So the article is reporting on the preclinical (animal model) studies in mice, and pilot study in humans, telling us several interesting things:
+ they show the connection between bacteremia of P. gingivalis and Alzheimer's disease (AD) - P. gingivalis secretes a protease (aptly named "gingipain") that degrades cytokines (notably through the gingipain proteases Kgp and RgpA/B, which "are essential for P. gingivalis survival and pathogenicity, playing critical roles in host colonization, inactivation of host defenses, iron and nutrient acquisition, and tissue destruction").
+Researchers found that a diagnosis of AD has a very strong correlation with the amount of gingipain in the brain. Additionally, they found that gingipain was also found in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) - they did a pilot study in 10 patients with mild to moderate AD and were able to quantify P. gingivalis DNA in 7/10 samples; they were then able to match these findings to patient saliva (so that testing can be done through saliva rather than CSF or, you know... brain tissue). Patients without a diagnosis of AD (the control group) did not have detectable P. gingivalis DNA in their saliva.
+ Researchers gathered some mice (otherwise known as medical heroes to mankind) and after a a battery of tests, confirmation tests, and validation tests. Researchers came up with small-molecule gingipain inhibitors (ie, the investigational drug), and gave some to 1 group of mice. Another group had no treatment. All mice were then given an injection of Kgp and RgpB into their wee little brains, and a week later, their brains were analyzed for neurodegeneration. The control group had a significant number of degenerating neurons; the treatment group had nuthin', The treatment blocked neurodegeneration.
+ Researchers did a bazillion more studies like this.
+ Researchers took their orally bioavailable, brain-penetrant Kgp inhibitor into clinical trials, and are currently testing in patients with AD. The hope is that based on the mouse data, that treatment "will reduce P. gingivalis infection in the brain and slow or prevent further neurodegeneration and accumulation of pathology in AD patients."

Take away message:
+ I don't know what Phase (1, 2, or 3) of development they're in. Phase 1 is really early, just a fact-finding mission, really, in a small number of patients. Phase 2 has a larger number of patients with AD, and if the results (and the risk/benefit is good), then on to Phase 3 in a larger group of patients, and that's the last Phase before approval. If Phase 2 is successful, the FDA might start talking about fast-tracking the vaccine for approval as they push through Phase 3.
+ I've worked on several studies where the results of animal models looked amazing, but didn't do so well in humans.
+ All in all, the preclinical testing looks crazy good for validation of a correlation of gingivitis to AD; the preclinical results in mice looks really promising for an oral vaccine.
+ Time will tell.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
hey, i know about sciences

i'm a biologist who focused in biochemistry and minored in bioprocessing/chem e

i work at a biotech company where i do business stuff in spreadsheets for fun

alzheimer's is an area we do work in. we have many things in our pipeline evaluating many different hypotheses about how to provide treatment/cure the disease. the amyloid plaque hypothesis may be about tapped out.

ask me anything about how ungodly expensive the entire r&d + clinical trial process is

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Physics degree here. I barely remember basic calculus and I got mostly Bs and Cs in my physics classes. So basically I'm utterly useless at science but people still seem to be impressed when you say you majored in physics. I can whip up a mean lab report under the direction of scientists who actually know what they're doing (masters and PhD grads) though.

OP made my eyes glaze over.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Physics degree here. I barely remember basic calculus and I got mostly Bs and Cs in my physics classes. So basically I'm utterly useless at science but people still seem to be impressed when you say you majored in physics. I can whip up a mean lab report under the direction of scientists who actually know what they're doing (masters and PhD grads) though.

Ha, I feel the same way with my computer engineering degree.

No, I can’t fix your computer. No, I can’t build you a computer. Yes, I’m an IT consultant, why do you ask?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Ha, I feel the same way with my computer engineering degree.

No, I can’t fix your computer. No, I can’t build you a computer. Yes, I’m an IT consultant, why do you ask?
IT stuff and building or fixing hardware aren't too similar though. There are tons of PC master race wannabes who can fix or build computers thinking it makes them a genius yet they have no clue about IT. And there are guys who are networking geniuses who can't be bothered to fix or build a computer. Building computers is like A+ certification crap, which is the like the lowest of any computer certification. Then there's like Cisco certification and the like which is basically like hieroglyphics to me.

Having a science undergrad degree just makes you realize how much shit you don't actually know. Knowing stuff is for graduate students, and even then it's only in maybe a few areas of a specific subject.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I had a TI-85 in the mathematics/natural sciences special line in my high school equivalent, but lack of ambition and any vision of life career ushered me into a B.Sc. in Public Law instead. I went to a public economics course once. The professor guy took his time to draw a graph about some utilities and then asked us how we'd know where the growth was steepest. I flashbacked hard upon the horrid realization that he was going to derivate the graph.

I don't know **** about hockey because Antero Mertaranta refuses to have an on-period commentator partner in the pbp studio.

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
I just pretend to be smart. Yes, I write medical reports and applications that go to the FDA. To make y'all feel better about your meds, you should know that aside from my BA degree in English, the only advanced degree I have is an MFA in poetry. I sh** you not.

Also, halleJOKEL is probably right about the amyloid connection to DA, but I'll wait to see if the FIH tests come back before I stop my new more-dental-floss campaign. Most of my work over the past 5 tears has been in HIV and oncology.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I just pretend to be smart. Yes, I write medical reports and applications that go to the FDA. To make y'all feel better about your meds, you should know that aside from my BA degree in English, the only advanced degree I have is an MFA in poetry. I sh** you not.

Also, halleJOKEL is probably right about the amyloid connection to DA, but I'll wait to see if the FIH tests come back before I stop my new more-dental-floss campaign. Most of my work over the past 5 tears has been in HIV and oncology.

We apply for approval for thrydenile
Side effects are attached on a file
You may lose your sleep
You're anxious and will weep
And there's loss of function in the penile

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
All these fancy degrees make this college dropout feel dumb.

Guess I'll have to roll around in all my tech $$$ to feel better about myself.

For a majority of students, undergraduate degrees are nothing but a piece of paper, and when companies finally figure that out and stop requiring them for every job regardless of required expertise, the world and the market will be better for it.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
For a majority of students, undergraduate degrees are nothing but a piece of paper, and when companies finally figure that out and stop requiring them for every job regardless of required expertise, the world and the market will be better for it.
The vast majority of undergrad degrees are the new high school diplomas. It literally says nothing about intelligence. It signals that you aren't a complete lazy ass but even then that's not 100% true since I am lazy as shit.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
All these fancy degrees make this college dropout feel dumb.

Guess I'll have to roll around in all my tech $$$ to feel better about myself.

Drop out...amateur.....talk to me when you've got a "kicked out" in your back story.

The vast majority of undergrad degrees are the new high school diplomas. It literally says nothing about intelligence. It signals that you aren't a complete lazy ass but even then that's not 100% true since I am lazy as ****.

Don't get me started, but the devaluation of the high school diploma has been an ongoing spectacle for over 2 decades now. There are many, many reasons this happened, none of them constructive or even necessary.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The vast majority of undergrad degrees are the new high school diplomas. It literally says nothing about intelligence. It signals that you aren't a complete lazy ass but even then that's not 100% true since I am lazy as ****.
Yep, there's some degrees that aren't worth wiping your ass with at this point. The 3 months it took to get my certification in Epic to be an overglorified IT guy is worth a hell of a lot more now than my 4 years studying music.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Unless you are a true academic and fully understand the virtue of legitimate study (something very few 18 year olds in our culture do), or you are studying a specific hard science or other craft, in many cases the degree provides very little additional benefit (from an economic value perspective) that hard work can’t provide.

Using myself as an example, I’m three years into my career right now. I truly believe that if I were 7 years in, and didn’t go to school, I’d be better at my job today. But companies don’t work that way. They wouldn’t have hired me at 18 on a lower salary, because I didn’t have a degree. But instead they hired me 4 years later, more expensive and less able to provide value for them.

I have a lot of theories (or rather, musings) of how modern education’s obsession with specialized studies in their own separate boxes (Calculus, biology, etc) provides more depth of knowledge than ever before, but doesn’t provide a roadmap for using that knowledge usefully. Compare that to a more classical education (logic, rhetoric, etc), and you have less potential for deep specific knowledge but provide the framework within which the knowledge you do have can work.

But then kids graduate, and only in a certain fraction of cases are they actually using their specialized knowledge in any capacity, professionally or otherwise. So now it’s “ok can you problem solve in this new area/job that you haven’t been formally educated to do? Can you get along with people? Can you lead a group of people toward a common goal? Can you critically think about whether the thing you’re doing right now is actually moving you towards your goal, and, if you identify that it isn’t, can you identify the right thing to do? Have you even thought about your goal? Do you even have a goal?” And without that framework, it’s back to square one. Your college education better have helped you develop that framework, because if not, you’re not actually ahead of the kid that started his career right after high school, you’re 4 years behind him because he’s been developing that framework all along, at the school of hard knocks (to use the common phrase). (Except no one hires the guy out of high school, which is the reason for my original critical comment.)

To me the answer is just take the best of what both (modern and classical) have to offer. Continue teaching these specialized subjects, but not to the detriment of the development of the whole person. Cross functional projects or problems, open ended assignments, and focus on logic and rhetoric would all help. It starts at home, too, as parents should be the primary teachers of their children, but if we insist on requiring kids to leave their parents for 8 hrs a day to go get taught by random other people, the framework those random other people apply should be of importance to us.

And then recognize that if you’re hiring a guy with an undergraduate degree in something that doesn’t directly apply to the skills needed for the position (and I mean directly), it’s only a very marginal “plus” over the candidate without a degree. Get rid of those dumb requirements for a college degree, doesn’t matter what it’s in we just need to see you have one, and start hiring people that will do the job best. Then we stop the cycle of people “needing” to go into student debt because we stop the cycle of pretending you can only provide value if you went to a four year school, bada bing bada boom, a lot of problems start getting solved in a cascading fashion.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
My message to anyone would be to do it as cheaply as you can. If you have a public school in your backyard, don't get cute. 4 years of out-of-state tuition and all of the expenses that go along with it will add up. If the school allows for it, take community college courses to do all of the useless humanities at comparatively cheap price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad