OT: $63 Million for a Football Stadium … for High Schoolers

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Does it include a hockey rink under the stands or something?

Seriously though, this does bring up the economic impact issue we were discussing in one of these threads a day or two ago. While building this place won't add to the metro area's GDP, the city of McKinney will likely get a larger piece of that total pie.

Whether it makes sense when all that is included, I don't know.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Does it include a hockey rink under the stands or something?

Seriously though, this does bring up the economic impact issue we were discussing in one of these threads a day or two ago. While building this place won't add to the metro area's GDP, the city of McKinney will likely get a larger piece of that total pie.

Whether it makes sense when all that is included, I don't know.

McKinney is still likely kicking itself over not backing FC Dallas to have a stadium built there. Frisco got the stadium, ownership, and primary dates for high school events.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006

Meanwhile my hometown had a $1.7 million override rejected for the second time in 4 years which would of kept the status quo. This coming after the athletic department had to turn to taking donations(~$100,000) just to keep the programs going till the end of the school year. Even the new school they built didn't cost this much.

Freaking insane, all that money just for sports stadium.

Fergei Sedorov

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
If you think spending this kind of money on a stadium where young adults can further cause brain damage to themselves is stupid, consider they've built another one of similar size and money just 4 miles away.

Can humans get any dumber you might ask?

Of course! These bright Texans actually agreed to pay higher taxes to fund it.

Last edited:

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
I hope this isn't a trend for Texas. This is the third high school stadium totaling $60M to be approved in the state. Allen, Katy, and now McKinney, Texas, will each have these behemoths, and if 'keeping up with the Jones' sets in, I wonder who will be next.

Not every town in Texas follows this lead, but there are a lot of big high school stadiums here. Here is a list of EVERY high school stadium in the state. From a set of bleachers in a cow pasture, to AT&T Stadium, there all here. You be the judge.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Probably a multi-purpose stadium. Its going to be used by 3 different high school teams. Plus it can host events like satellite camps, pro days, regional combines etc. Guess which state just had 32 high school alumni drafted by NFL teams? Texas. Guess where Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU and Arkansas get major talent from? Texas. That's not counting the 5 power conference teams, 5 non P5 division 1 schools. It bleeds football talent.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
High School football in Texas is bigger then many professional sports in other markets.

Boom. This is why I don;t see an issue with it. they sell out tons of high-school games and will likely make that investment back and then some. Friday Night Lights was actual really accurate.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Probably a multi-purpose stadium. Its going to be used by 3 different high school teams. Plus it can host events like satellite camps, pro days, regional combines etc. Guess which state just had 32 high school alumni drafted by NFL teams? Texas. Guess where Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU and Arkansas get major talent from? Texas. That's not counting the 5 power conference teams, 5 non P5 division 1 schools. It bleeds football talent.

Yes, they note it'll include facilities for other sports including soccer and lacrosse and of course events and such. Also, this will also help to offset the cost of a graduation ceremony since many schools have to rent out a place that is big enough to hold them.

It's a slippery slope, but partially why you're also seeing these more, it's not just omg football (and part of it def is. so cute to see the kids from up there taking shots at each other over concrete), it's also because many of these communities are seeing a population growth that they cannot handle. While right now this stadium will be used by 3 high schools, in a few years that could be 4-5.

As for their education, I don't know if they still continue with this project, but they had been giving their students free MacBooks at freshman year.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
For me the break water is if it were a separate issue voted on by the residents.

If it's voter approved then it's the city collectively buying a luxury item.

Mad Brills*

Comparable price to some canadian university's main stadiums.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad