OT: $63 Million for a Football Stadium … for High Schoolers

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If the voters approved it ,, Cant really complain

I mean look at the nonsense going on in other cities like the George Lucas Museum in Chicago!

This at least makes sense and has a point ,, The GL museum is basically one corrupt mayors attempt to throw away $$$ and land to build a legacy of achievement even though he has proven to be worst mayor city has had in a century

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I knew this was Texas before I even opened the thread.

My alma mater is building a football stadium for a new FCS program, and they're spending less than half that. That's insane.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
If the voters approved it ,, Cant really complain

I mean look at the nonsense going on in other cities like the George Lucas Museum in Chicago!

This at least makes sense and has a point ,, The GL museum is basically one corrupt mayors attempt to throw away $$$ and land to build a legacy of achievement even though he has proven to be worst mayor city has had in a century

Yep, the existence of museums make no sense and don't have a point, but a stadium to watch young men destroy their bodies for your personal enjoyment is logical

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It seems most didn't read the article and just cling to the clickbait title. You act like football players are forced to play. Maybe if some of you did play you'd know that its actually a lot of fun. Especially in high school.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The McKinney project has frequently been compared to the $60 million high school stadium in nearby Allen. With seats for 18,000 people, the Allen stadium has nearly the same capacity as Madison Square Garden. Another school stadium under construction in Katy, outside Houston, will have 12,000 seats at a projected cost of more than $62 million.

Opponents of the McKinney stadium, which would be used by the city’s three high schools, have accused district leaders of engaging in a sort of arms race.

“We‘re kind of like the poor boys on the block,†said Mike Giles, a leader of Grassroots McKinney, which has opposed the plan. “They look down and they see Allen. Allen has a really nice stadium.â€

The McKinney school superintendent, Rick McDaniel, and his spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.

Ms. Gray, who said she did not care “a thing in the world about football,†said she had been persuaded that the stadium would prove an economic boon by attracting regional tournaments and other events. “Thousands and thousands of people coming into our city and spending their money here in our city,†she said.

The plan polarized McKinney residents and led to the creation of rival political action committees. In debates and online comment threads, opponents argued that it represented a misplaced priority on sports over academics.

Oh, okay, now all my criticisms are put to bed because I actually read the article (again). But what do I know I didn't play football so I'm just happy I didn't **** myself yet this morning

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
IIRC in Friday Night Lights they mention the stadium was the only bond issue that had passed in the history of Odessa up to that point.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
And the games aren't free. Even if its a 5 to 10 dollar charge. 10,000 people on a friday night is a pretty nice chunk of change.

And it will be used by 3 different schools so it's not like this is just for one high school and the other two are asking for new stadiums as well.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
IIRC in Friday Night Lights they mention the stadium was the only bond issue that had passed in the history of Odessa up to that point.

What was the quote from the film in one of the radio show clips? "They say that money should have gone to the school. Well, isn't the stadium part of the school?"

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Well yeah, because you don't care about high school football in Texas.

In terms of wasting tax dollars, this is certainly not the most egregious example.

Doesn't matter what I think of any sport, spending public money on any stadium is about as productive as lighting it on fire.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
How soon before a school holds their town hostage for a $60 million football stadium and threatens to re-draw the lines so they're in a new town?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Knew it was going to be suburban Dallas before opening this thread. I've flown into DFW numerous times and there are several big stadiums that can be seen on approach that are on High School campuses. I'm sure Houston has a few schools looking at building these monsters as well.

There are several NCAA schools that would be jealous of these stadiums. The stadium that UNC-Charlotte built for the football team 3 years ago cost $45 million, and most of it I believe was donated by Jerry Richardson. $63 million for a freaking High School is just, insane. But they've got money in Texas, and they spend it, just take a look at SMU football in the 80's.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
How soon before a school holds their town hostage for a $60 million football stadium and threatens to re-draw the lines so they're in a new town?

if they do, and some town is stupid enough to vote for it - then more power to them

If you hate something so much, go out to the polls and vote against it. These NFL stadiums are usually put up to a vote and pass.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
if they do, and some town is stupid enough to vote for it - then more power to them

If you hate something so much, go out to the polls and vote against it. These NFL stadiums are usually put up to a vote and pass.

By thinking with their heart and not with their head.

I don't fault the people so much as the corrupt politicians and businessmen that get it to a vote in the first place.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Knew it was going to be suburban Dallas before opening this thread. I've flown into DFW numerous times and there are several big stadiums that can be seen on approach that are on High School campuses. I'm sure Houston has a few schools looking at building these monsters as well.

There are several NCAA schools that would be jealous of these stadiums. The stadium that UNC-Charlotte built for the football team 3 years ago cost $45 million, and most of it I believe was donated by Jerry Richardson. $63 million for a freaking High School is just, insane. But they've got money in Texas, and they spend it, just take a look at SMU football in the 80's.

They could get it down to $45 Million if Allen (the city in question) got rid of a lot of those buildings that surround the stadium itself.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yea, no surprise it's Texas.

That being said, the people voted for it, so who cares?

Not like the citizens were against it and it got pushed through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad