Oshawa's Big 3

arsmaster*

Funny Jenner took the drop out of the first round when he supposedly had a slow offensive start yet he led Oshawa's big 3 in points. I doubt he gets out of the first round.
Tonight was a good example of the overall hockey sense ,boardwork.compete level. The skating is much improved and with that level of hockey sense you can get away with being a average skater. Haven't seen that compete level in a Gens player since Cal Clutterbuck.
Like Ive said his game translates well to the next level and he would be my top pick from this three.

22 Boone Jenner C 63 25 41 66 +10 57
* 17 Nicklas Jensen RW 61 29 29 58 +14 42
* 38 Lucas Lessio LW 66 27 27 54 +8 66 7

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
ive wrote a lot about these 3 in other threads.

and i know he has been already drafted.....some General fans wont agree with me....But i like Valentines game....he is nhl ready; he just needs to simplify his game. He lays NHL level hits on young OHLers , 90% of the time they are clean and get called cause they are a 'hard' hit.

arsmaster*

and i know he has been already drafted.....some General fans wont agree with me....But i like Valentines game....he is nhl ready; he just needs to simplify his game. He lays NHL level hits on young OHLers , 90% of the time they are clean and get called cause they are a 'hard' hit.

He is not NHL ready, not close.

No NHL team would feel comfortable with his own zone play as it currently stands.

He may be physically mature, but his game isnt.

NOt a knock on the player, most young d-men not named Drew Doughty need seasoning in the minors.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Count me in on the Jenner bandwagon if that was at all representative of how he usually plays. All 3 of those guys I had never seen except the top prospects game.

Jenner's skating really surprised me to be honest, I know what I saw in the prospects game and what I read about him before today, but his foot speed looked more like a strength than a weakness in this game. It's still only 1 game, against a mediocre opponent to boot, but at least now I know why a lot of OHL fans and draft watchers love the guy.

I still really wish Sportsnet would step up and broadcast more games (nationwide), I'll watch any OHL/QHL games that are televised (and if I can't i'll tape them). It would certainly make for more interesting, less statistically based, conversation on these boards. I tuned in expecting something a little different (Jensen being more dominant, Jenner less... to put it simply), but I ended up seeing something else. I'm not surprised because the same thing happens all the time with WHL players/teams I see only a few times a year.

Anyway just to make 1 more point, the WHL guy I expected Jenner to most closely resemble based on everthying i'd heard and the little i've seen would've been Colin Jacobs. I've only seen Seattle 5 times (i think?) in the last 2 years but i've never seen him take a pass in the neutral zone and attack the d with speed like Jenner did today multiple times....fwiw;)

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
He is not NHL ready, not close.

No NHL team would feel comfortable with his own zone play as it currently stands.

He may be physically mature, but his game isnt.

NOt a knock on the player, most young d-men not named Drew Doughty need seasoning in the minors.

I agree that he needs lots of work if he is to make it to the next level and he isn't really improving on what he needs too.
If Valentine wants to have any type of career he needs to play a simple game in the puck moving dept but he still makes way too many rushes and holds onto the puck too long.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I was also very impressed with Jenner and it was the first time watching him outside a few shifts in that Canada/Russia super series game. I only caught the final 10 minutes of the game but he was all over the ice. First play that caught my attention was when he entered the zone with the puck, wiped out but somehow still kept control of the puck, then protected it along the boards with his feet while being highsticked in the face and drawing a penalty. Then a few shifts later he grabbed the puck along the side boards, skated nicely towards his own defencemen and made a slick little drop pass. At the end of the play Im pretty sure he had a chance in front of the net where he was wacking at a loose rebound. Then he scores the go ahead goal with a nice shot from the left side. He seemed to get about 4-5 quality chances within the last 10 minutes of the game. His ability to stay on his feet seemed like more of a problem then his pure skating ability. Speed seemed more then fine to me.

Players like this who have good size, good leadership abilities, play a good two way game and have some decent offence dont usually make it out the first round. A poor mans Mike Richards seems like a apt comparison. I think he's a pretty safe bet to make the NHL and contribute in some capacity even if its just as a awesome 3rd line centre ala someone like Malhotra but I definitely think he can be a heart and soul do it all gritty 2nd line centre. Seems to have many similar intangibles that you see in a player like Richards or Kesler.

Lust4LEAFS

London Knights Scout
Jan 28, 2011
London, ON
Jenner`s game the other night was unreal never gave up on play, im hoping he converts his already solid play to the NHL.

He grew up in my hometown and would love to see him in a leafs jersey!

Kid has heart which it showed the other night, hope for the best!

Sabres9

Mar 8, 2011
Nicklas Jensen is a dynamic player with good skating and offensive skills, consistency issues...possesses a nice shot from afar...identifies space and gets there to unleash his shot...smooth hands aren't flashy but just smooth...scores a ton of goals off the rush by just carrying it in then finding a spot to shoot...quick on his skates with solid technique...may need to watch cutting off the rush as he could get clocked in the pros...adjusted well to north american game and can use his big frame to take physical abuse...big upside and some say he's only scratching the surface of his potential, but there is a bust potential here as well if he can't find a way to stay motivated...maybe the best player to come out of denmark, ever...only ever seen him score with his wrist shot, which is fantastic but he needs to learn how to score differently to be more effective

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
i used to live in oshawa (now go to UoG) but i watched Jenner last season and something that really stuck out to me was his skating... he skates akwardly. He isn't the flashy player and IMO Christian Thomas is way better (and he was picked up in the 2nd round last season? ) seems like a decent 3rd line center for me.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

love Valentine. Last year went to a game where Zack Kassian absolutly killed some player (idk who it was) and Valentine didn't fight him but rocked Kassian a couple of times. Really like Valentine, + a guy that watches a lot of London games (from my school) was talking about Valentine and says he likes him better than Tinoridi(sp?)

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
i used to live in oshawa (now go to UoG) but i watched Jenner last season and something that really stuck out to me was his skating... he skates akwardly. He isn't the flashy player and IMO Christian Thomas is way better (and he was picked up in the 2nd round last season? ) seems like a decent 3rd line center for me.

I hear ya but the difference between the 16 year old Jenner and the 17 year old is very noticeable. But even as a average skating 16 year old Jenner was able to have a good season and make a impact .....IMO because of his great hockey sense.

Of course no comparison to Thomas who is a elite skater and plays a very different game.

I 'm really interested in how the Big three do against a real tough Niagara team in the next round who also have a couple of highly touted propects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad