Oshawa's Big 3

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'm looking for more information on Oshawa's big 3 forwards eligible for 2011.

They are Nicklas Jensen, Lucas Lessio and Boone Jenner.

Just from reading around it seems like Jensen is the most highly regarded, followed by Lessio and then Jenner.

What are the biggest strengths and weaknesses of all 3 and where do you seem them going in the draft?

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I've heard that Jensen might be the best danish prospect ever, better than Eller and Boedker.

Don't know much about Lessio, but Jenner has dropped in the rankings since the start of the season. But seems like he might be rising a bit now.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I go to UOIT and see them quite a lot. The great thing is that UOIT has a campus downtown now, literally a 5 minutes walk to the GM center.

Jensen
Jenner
Lessio

is how I'd rank them.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
1.Jennsen.
Good size and shot. Along with some wheels. He seems like a 'Kulemin' type player.

2a. Jenner
hard worker, not a really huge fan of his.

2b. Lessio
wild card, boom or bust. He has the motivation to be a very good player....He just needs more grooming.

Lessio and Jenner are tied because Jenner has proved more, but i think Lessio has a lot more show us. Come next year i could see him break out. Its too bad he is drafted with only one OHL season under his belt.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I go to UOIT and see them quite a lot. The great thing is that UOIT has a campus downtown now, literally a 5 minutes walk to the GM center.

Jensen
Jenner
Lessio

is how I'd rank them.

I'll agree (seems to be the consensus here).

However, I think they're pretty interchangeable and wouldn't be surprised if all three were top 40 picks come June.

Jensen has had a bit of a rough go of it lately and has cooled off significantly since his hot streak. He's best when he's got the puck on his stick, because he has excellent leg strength that allows him to drive to the net. He still needs to work on his play without the puck offensively. He's inconsistent when it comes to being active on the forecheck, or good along the wall. He's got a nice skill set though and is a fairly safe prospect with some offensive upside.

Jenner is the least naturally skilled of the three, but he's also the most refined. He's a hard worker offensively and he's actually very consistent. The question people ask about Jenner is, will his average skating improve, and does he have enough offensive potential to warrant a first round selection? In a lot of ways, he parallels Ryan O'Reilly for me. The only difference is that Jenner has better size.

Lessio is definitely the most intriguing prospect of the group (and maybe of the entire OHL crop). I'd have to imagine that scouts would be pretty split on this guy. There is a LOT to like about him. A very good skater in every facet (acceleration and agility especially) with good puck skills. I think he'll probably develop more gusto eventually too, as his confidence to take the body increases. But the consistency issues aren't a joke. But you have to remember it's his first season in the OHL. For me, the biggest question mark is whether he has the hockey IQ to match his speed and developing skill. A team that thinks he does, may roll the dice on this guy earlier than people expect. Conversely, he's probably a good candidate to be a draft faller if most scouts are convinced he doesn't.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
i have to argue against Jenner being the least skilled

Obviously Jensen and Lessio have a dynamic skating and offensive ability

But what ive seen from Jenner shows signs of great offensive potential and he has good size

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thanks alot Brock. Great stuff from everyone in fact, answering a lot of my questions.

Lessio sounds alot like Andrew Cogliano, who has always faced "hockey smarts" criticism. Cogs is finally coming around this year and learning to play alot smarter.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I'm gonna need the whole season to decide the order but at this point I'd put Jenner and Jensen neck and neck and Lessio back a ways.

Jensen has the physical tools (skating and size) to reach the next level for sure. Reminds me a lot of Jeff Carter at the same age in terms of size ,shot ,skating.Also a good comparison in terms of being physical. More of a shot guy then a playmaker. I'd say his ceiling is Carter.

I hear what Brock is saying but I think it may give some people the wrong idea to say Jenner is the least talented. After all he does have the most points out of the three. IMO he is the safest of the three to play in the NHL because of his good hockey sense (on offence and defence) and his consistent compete level which kinda reminds me of Clutterbuck.Jenner is real good along the boards and has great anticipation without the puck. He just doen't take nights off and hates to lose. I think he'll be a good second line center who will play in all situations.

I've said it before but I just don't get any wow factor with Lessio. He has good size and skating ability but doesn't seem to have great vision. Maybe it's just because it is his first year but I can see him being taken 20-30 spots after the first two guys.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
On the subject of Oshawa, I know he's already been drafted, but how do those of you (who've watched the Generals play) feel about Thomas' potential? (I started a thread a bit ago and only got a couple replies). Thanks
cool.gif

Schennsation

Show goes on
Oct 8, 2008
Sudbury Ontario
From what I seen from Thomas in the last game I watched here he had 4 goals and was carrying the Oshawa team on his back. He never seems to give up on a play, and he always keeps working. He doesn't shy away when getting hit and is a great skater.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Jenner is going to become a third line C / W. Depending on if he develops his frame the rest of the way will be crucial. He has the right idea when he makes plays but he doesn't always have the strength to come through with them. When I saw him play, he was always the first man back, and had a really good stick in the slot. He stopped about two or three one-timers with his stick lift. I think his third line talent is a minimum, but his offense probably won't completely develop into the pro game as much as he'd like, but he is certainly capable both roles and all three zones.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I saw Oshawa early in the year, and Jensen really jumped out at me. He looked to have an Eric Staal type of skillset- good size and stride, protected the puck well and worked the boards and corners nicely.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Jenner is going to become a third line C / W. Depending on if he develops his frame the rest of the way will be crucial. He has the right idea when he makes plays but he doesn't always have the strength to come through with them. When I saw him play, he was always the first man back, and had a really good stick in the slot. He stopped about two or three one-timers with his stick lift. I think his third line talent is a minimum, but his offense probably won't completely develop into the pro game as much as he'd like, but he is certainly capable both roles and all three zones.

He sounds like he's cut from the same cloth as Mike Richards in terms of perceived upside and leadership qualities. I think he's a sure bet to make a career, he's probably gonna be a real big kid, and the young juniors with leadership qualities always make me think they can exceed expectations.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
From what I seen from Thomas in the last game I watched here he had 4 goals and was carrying the Oshawa team on his back. He never seems to give up on a play, and he always keeps working. He doesn't shy away when getting hit and is a great skater.

Thanks for your opinion.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
On the subject of Oshawa, I know he's already been drafted, but how do those of you (who've watched the Generals play) feel about Thomas' potential? (I started a thread a bit ago and only got a couple replies). Thanks
cool.gif

I like his chances to make it. 40 goals in draft year ,50 this year ,next year who knows. For sure has the wheels to make it and a big league wrist shot . Also a great one time slap shot. Not the biggest frame but it didn't stop his dad and won't stop him.

arsmaster*

For us armchair scouts, who only get to watch OHLers on TV, Jenner sure did his part to make a statement tonight.

Very good player, hard on the puck, tough to contain on the wall, quick release, nice set up on Lessio's goal...eluded the check to drive wide creating a 2 on 1 down low. His skating is as advertised - a work in progress, but he gets around the ice with no trouble.

This seemed like a Mike Richards-esque game tonight...I cannot see this player lasting until round 2.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Wow, Jenner has HEART. I know Peterborough isn't good but he has a motor in him, kids like this make it as pros. He never quit on a play, ever tonight. Got rewarded with the empty net at the game and scored the game winner. First time I've seen him live but I have a feeling he would take a bullet to win a game. Seems like he lays it all out on the line.

Reminds me of a bit more skilled Talbot, he has that kind of heart and grit in his game. Ryan O'Reilly might not be a bad comparison actually, would love to hear more from OHL watchers. Wouldn't mind taking him with Edmonton's second 1st rounder and would be quite happy if he fell to our second rounder.

And he has the best name in the 2011 draft.

Jensen looks really smooth and strong on the puck, like him a lot too. You could definitely see Lessio's speed, but I felt like his game seems a bit raw still - lots of potential with him too.

I'm also assuming de Haan is injured currently?

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
Boone Jenner is a hell of a western name.

Hoping Leafs can move up a bit in the draft and snag him.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
For us armchair scouts, who only get to watch OHLers on TV, Jenner sure did his part to make a statement tonight.

Very good player, hard on the puck, tough to contain on the wall, quick release, nice set up on Lessio's goal...eluded the check to drive wide creating a 2 on 1 down low. His skating is as advertised - a work in progress, but he gets around the ice with no trouble.

This seemed like a Mike Richards-esque game tonight...I cannot see this player lasting until round 2.

Agreed. He doesn't really strike me as a player who is ever going to be burning down the ice. His skating is liveable though, I think it's more of a what you see is what you get. He has that really clunky stride that is hard to get rid of. Seems like he definitely gets where he wants to go though.

arsmaster*

Boone Jenner is a hell of a western name.

Hoping Leafs can move up a bit in the draft and snag him.

Shouldnt have to move up, worst case scenario Boston or Philly lose in round 2, likely 25th overall.

I wouldnt try and wait until the leafs 2nd rounders though....Vancouver would love his character and intangibles.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Jenner looked great tonight. Should be interesting to see where he lands. I'd like Ottawa to be able to reach for him with their 2nd.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Funny Jenner took the drop out of the first round when he supposedly had a slow offensive start yet he led Oshawa's big 3 in points. I doubt he gets out of the first round.
Tonight was a good example of the overall hockey sense ,boardwork.compete level. The skating is much improved and with that level of hockey sense you can get away with being a average skater. Haven't seen that compete level in a Gens player since Cal Clutterbuck.
Like Ive said his game translates well to the next level and he would be my top pick from this three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad