Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Anyone going tonight, wear red if you didn't get a playoff Tshirt. We will be looking to create a Sea of Red!

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Barrie came in and humbled Oshawa with a beautiful road. Steaks are meant to be broken.

Sunday is a must win for Oshawa

Reactions: squireprods

squireprods

May 8, 2023
-2 in the second and takes a careless cross checking call in the third. maybe he should of sat out tonight I don't think he was focused.

WJ
I was more referring to that fact he was not seriously injured. Agreed he didn’t seem focused tonight. Would suck to lose a key player right before the playoffs.

Last edited:

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Listening to the radio broadcast and Jack Moore is absolutely giving it to the officials. Is it actually that bad in person?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I haven't followed the Gens but seeing as their first why such a hard time with Barrie. Is Barrie just playing really well? btw I am a Gens fan having grown up in Oshawa. I think Barrie just got the short of the end stick there. Seemed like a late call by the ref.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I like to think of myself as a pretty logical observer. Refs were not gaining any fans from the crowd tonight but honestly, for better or worse, the refs got 85% of the calls right tonight. Problem is, most were against Oshawa. There definitely some misses. The first penalty of the game in front of Oster shoudlve been a 2 and 2 and not a powerplay for Barrie which lead to goal 1.

Danford had the unnecessary cross checking penalty which was stupid.

Torrence did not need to fight after that hit on Griffin. The hit looked worse than it was and it cost Torrence 17 mins of ice time.

The second fight really started when Punnett pushed the Barrie player into Oster which caused Bedkowski to react and start another fight. Another 17 mins of ice time lost.

The final goal, the potential game tying goal, really tough one. I had to leave early for work but caught it on the App so I could hear the audio on the replays and could see the ref behind the net. It looked the ref was his own demon there has he did not see the puck when he began intent to blow the whistle. By the "intent rule" its a no goal but I do think Oshawa got away with one there in what was the game decider.

Barrie does also attempt to draw penalties alot. They embellish quite a bit. Wigle went down acting like he died and was "helped" off the ice to the hallway. As soon it was determined it was a 2 min minor, he was back on the bench for his next shift.

All in all, Barrie has played a very good 8th seed series so far and has definitely brought Oshawa down to reality from the 12 game win streak. They need to realize that the regular season is over and come playoffs, everything resets.

#redhot.....more like "lukewarm" right now.

They need to get out of the pressure of their barn, go on the road and just go to work and grt the job done. This series could easily be tied coming back to Oshawa.

On to Tuesday.

Blake101

Oct 15, 2022
I like to think of myself as a pretty logical observer. Refs were not gaining any fans from the crowd tonight but honestly, for better or worse, the refs got 85% of the calls right tonight. Problem is, most were against Oshawa. There definitely some misses. The first penalty of the game in front of Oster shoudlve been a 2 and 2 and not a powerplay for Barrie which lead to goal 1.

Danford had the unnecessary cross checking penalty which was stupid.

Torrence did not need to fight after that hit on Griffin. The hit looked worse than it was and it cost Torrence 17 mins of ice time.

The second fight really started when Punnett pushed the Barrie player into Oster which caused Bedkowski to react and start another fight. Another 17 mins of ice time lost.

The final goal, the potential game tying goal, really tough one. I had to leave early for work but caught it on the App so I could hear the audio on the replays and could see the ref behind the net. It looked the ref was his own demon there has he did not see the puck when he began intent to blow the whistle. By the "intent rule" its a no goal but I do think Oshawa got away with one there in what was the game decider.

Barrie does also attempt to draw penalties alot. They embellish quite a bit. Wigle went down acting like he died and was "helped" off the ice to the hallway. As soon it was determined it was a 2 min minor, he was back on the bench for his next shift.

All in all, Barrie has played a very good 8th seed series so far and has definitely brought Oshawa down to reality from the 12 game win streak. They need to realize that the regular season is over and come playoffs, everything resets.

#redhot.....more like "lukewarm" right now.

They need to get out of the pressure of their barn, go on the road and just go to work and grt the job done. This series could easily be tied coming back to Oshawa.

On to Tuesday.
Nice to see there is at least one sane Generals fan!

Sandman26

Apr 1, 2024
The most disappointing tread this year has been the yo-yoing of quality of officiating this season. After the opposition of the Generals received suspensions in something like 4 of 6 games in Oshawa due to games getting out of control, the officiating seemed to improve and for the final stretch of the season it was steady.

Now that we have hit playoffs, it has been terrible again.

Based on Game 2 yesterday, I have a few items to point out:
1. How can a referee review a double minor for high sticking can call it back for follow through? The OHL rule book states that a review can be called to determine if it was the player's own stick or a teammates, not if it was follow through. The referee's decision to call this penalty was fairly delayed initially but called the penalty nonetheless.
Section 8: 60.3 "...Referees making this call shall have the option (but not the obligation)to review video of the play for the purpose of confirming (or not) their original call on the ice, and, in particular, whether the stick causing the apparent injury was actually the stick of the Player being penalized."
2. Instigating a fight - this has to be the area where refs have the most trouble determining how to call this. In yesterday's game, by the book, I would agree that both plays were instigating, however, throughout the season, we saw significantly worse situations in Oshawa were instigating penalties were not called (including Punnett's last 'fight' which was not even called a fight).
3. Barrie's first penalty (interference) - it's not interference when you are pushed into the goalie by the defenseman. And if this was a penalty than there should have been one on Patterson when he was pushed on top of Oster which lead to the Bedkowski fight.
4. Sennecke's roughing call in the last minute: Referee signalled high stick on the ice. Sennecke complained saying he hit him in the head with his glove, and it got changed to roughing... really? And not totally sure how as a referee in a one goal game in the last minute, that play was a penalty when so many others were not called throughout the game.
5. Barrie's disallowed goal - Terrible call by the referees. Blew it. Plain and simple. Referee did wave it off, which is the only saving grace from an official's standpoint, but either way, still a bad call. Lucky for the Generals.
6. Not sure if many others noticed but following the conclusion of the game, one of the officials took the game puck, put it in his pocket and left the ice. Questionable move as many teams will collect winning pucks during the playoffs. Not sure if the Generals planned to, but questionable move on the official's part.
7. Whatever happened to the following rule? Section 3: 9.9 "If a player should remove an opponent’s helmet or undo an opponent’s chinstrap prior to or during an altercation, such player shall receive an automatic game misconduct penalty in addition to any other penalties assessed and a one (1) game suspension." This happens nearly every game and yet, it is never called.
8. Lockhart's diving penalty - I feel that was less of a dive then quite a few other plays throughout the game. I don't think it was a embellished that much and he got right back up. Not like some players who surprisingly do not give themselves whiplash.

Hoping for some better officiating in the rest of the series.

Aside from that, I have a suggestion on video reviews:
Referees on the ice need to make a call (for whatever it is, penalty, goals, etc). They have to make the call immediately. If the puck is in the net, it is either signalled a goal or waved off.
The Official then can start the review process. Once they have a tablet and the video is working, there is a 3 minute time limit. Once the limit is up, the tablet goes blank and the officials have to make a decision. The point of review is to make sure you called it right.
The number of times officials review 5 minute majors, call it and get it wrong still is mindboggling. They clearly want to ensure the safety of the players and that is fine. If you called it a major, and after 3 minutes you are still not sure, it's 5 minutes. If you review and see you clearly made a mistake, so be it, reduce the penalty.
These massive delays because they cannot determine a call after 10 minutes is killing the game.

*Rant Over*

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
The most disappointing tread this year has been the yo-yoing of quality of officiating this season. After the opposition of the Generals received suspensions in something like 4 of 6 games in Oshawa due to games getting out of control, the officiating seemed to improve and for the final stretch of the season it was steady.

Now that we have hit playoffs, it has been terrible again.

Based on Game 2 yesterday, I have a few items to point out:
1. How can a referee review a double minor for high sticking can call it back for follow through? The OHL rule book states that a review can be called to determine if it was the player's own stick or a teammates, not if it was follow through. The referee's decision to call this penalty was fairly delayed initially but called the penalty nonetheless.
Section 8: 60.3 "...Referees making this call shall have the option (but not the obligation)to review video of the play for the purpose of confirming (or not) their original call on the ice, and, in particular, whether the stick causing the apparent injury was actually the stick of the Player being penalized."
2. Instigating a fight - this has to be the area where refs have the most trouble determining how to call this. In yesterday's game, by the book, I would agree that both plays were instigating, however, throughout the season, we saw significantly worse situations in Oshawa were instigating penalties were not called (including Punnett's last 'fight' which was not even called a fight).
3. Barrie's first penalty (interference) - it's not interference when you are pushed into the goalie by the defenseman. And if this was a penalty than there should have been one on Patterson when he was pushed on top of Oster which lead to the Bedkowski fight.
4. Sennecke's roughing call in the last minute: Referee signalled high stick on the ice. Sennecke complained saying he hit him in the head with his glove, and it got changed to roughing... really? And not totally sure how as a referee in a one goal game in the last minute, that play was a penalty when so many others were not called throughout the game.
5. Barrie's disallowed goal - Terrible call by the referees. Blew it. Plain and simple. Referee did wave it off, which is the only saving grace from an official's standpoint, but either way, still a bad call. Lucky for the Generals.
6. Not sure if many others noticed but following the conclusion of the game, one of the officials took the game puck, put it in his pocket and left the ice. Questionable move as many teams will collect winning pucks during the playoffs. Not sure if the Generals planned to, but questionable move on the official's part.
7. Whatever happened to the following rule? Section 3: 9.9 "If a player should remove an opponent’s helmet or undo an opponent’s chinstrap prior to or during an altercation, such player shall receive an automatic game misconduct penalty in addition to any other penalties assessed and a one (1) game suspension." This happens nearly every game and yet, it is never called.
8. Lockhart's diving penalty - I feel that was less of a dive then quite a few other plays throughout the game. I don't think it was a embellished that much and he got right back up. Not like some players who surprisingly do not give themselves whiplash.

Hoping for some better officiating in the rest of the series.

Aside from that, I have a suggestion on video reviews:
Referees on the ice need to make a call (for whatever it is, penalty, goals, etc). They have to make the call immediately. If the puck is in the net, it is either signalled a goal or waved off.
The Official then can start the review process. Once they have a tablet and the video is working, there is a 3 minute time limit. Once the limit is up, the tablet goes blank and the officials have to make a decision. The point of review is to make sure you called it right.
The number of times officials review 5 minute majors, call it and get it wrong still is mindboggling. They clearly want to ensure the safety of the players and that is fine. If you called it a major, and after 3 minutes you are still not sure, it's 5 minutes. If you review and see you clearly made a mistake, so be it, reduce the penalty.
These massive delays because they cannot determine a call after 10 minutes is killing the game.

*Rant Over*
Welcome to the board Sandman

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Lots of recognition for the Gens the coaches poll this season. Most notably Luke Torrance 2nd in most underrated player for the East and 3rd for best defensive forward in the East. Really don’t see how Torrance isn’t part of this team next season.

Reactions: Ogie Junior

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
This is exactly what I meant. This was the get right game Oshawa needed. Pure domination from start to finish and take a 2-1 series lead.

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
What the Gens have done this season after the first 2020 draft commitment being a 7th rounder is incredibly impressive. The 19 year old players are the most important group on a contending team, and the Gens didn’t draft one until the 7th round.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
So I guess the East is really just a battle to see who gets slaughtered by whomever makes it out West?

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
I guess they didn’t feel like magically taking away a tying goal from you guys. Only Barrie gets that special.

Reactions: tjziel

squireprods

May 8, 2023
So I guess the East is really just a battle to see who gets slaughtered by whomever makes it out West?
Yeah the top tier of the west was pretty clear early in the season. You’ve got to enjoy the back and forth east games nonetheless. Two OT east games tonight were way more fun to watch than an easy London sweep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatanathol

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I really don’t know how the finals will play out. London, Soo, and Sag have been coasting for the last part of the season since they were far and away better than every other team in the West. The top 6 teams in the East were playing meaningful hockey, battling for positioning right up until the end.

Even in round 1, we’re seeing some tighter series in the east. They got swept, but Flint at least played London pretty well. Saginaw and Soo will be the first real test for both teams. Winner of that series will be more than prepared for the Western finals

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I really don’t know how the finals will play out. London, Soo, and Sag have been coasting for the last part of the season since they were far and away better than every other team in the West. The top 6 teams in the East were playing meaningful hockey, battling for positioning right up until the end.

Even in round 1, we’re seeing some tighter series in the east. They got swept, but Flint at least played London pretty well. Saginaw and Soo will be the first real test for both teams. Winner of that series will be more than prepared for the Western finals
I agree. Other than Kingston and Barrie, the top 6 of the east can very easily win the East and go to the finals. Additionally, every Eastern Conference team is rooting for Saginaw to come our of the west, that way the Eastern Conference team.gets an automatic birth to the Mem cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad