Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
TNT line back together, Moore back on D to try to combat all the speed of the LDN top line I assume.

So just need to shut down that top line of Evangelsta-McMichael-Foudy and the 2nd best PP in the league while solving the #1 PK in the league, on the road... should be easy! lol

4-2 LDN, Ajax native Connor McMichael

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
LaSalle was down 3-1 in the first round series and after that Matt Sbrocca went 3-0 and stopped 92/95 for a .968 save % to move on to round 2

Interesting Gens prospect to keep an eye on, although probably for 2 seasons from now

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I'm sorry, I'm not a negative person on these forums but we just saw why Kooy won't make the bigs with decision making like that. Gotta have way better puck control in the dying minutes of a tie game to make it to the next level.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Another game that's hard to be mad at. Gens lose another one goal game. To the best team in the West this time. London's 3 NHL first rounders (McMichael, Foudy, Merkley) each must've played 25+ minutes and get both their non-empty net goals

Gens got the puck behind Brochu in the crease 5 different times and none of them went in

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I'm sorry, I'm not a negative person on these forums but we just saw why Kooy won't make the bigs with decision making like that. Gotta have way better puck control in the dying minutes of a tie game to make it to the next level.

He put it onto Ennis' tape, who turned it over to Foudy

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017

Really? Kooy has been great as of late. Really found his former self

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Really? Kooy has been great as of late. Really found his former self

Yeah this is the guy the Gens were hoping to get when they trade for him.

His last 5 games against 5 of the best teams in the league in @ Peterborough, @ Ottawa, vs Ottawa, @ Guelph and @ London

And in those games he's stopped 155/166 for a .938 save %

Gens haven't been scoring lately, but Kooy has been fantastic

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
His play in the net has been better as of late I agree but his puck handling behind the net is very risky at times and it cost them tonight. Ennis didn't even have a chance to play the puck before a London player was barreling down in him.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
If ennis got that pass Fed it up ice and someone scored you’d be praising his puck handling. It happens to the best A cpl of those posts or scrambles go in he’s a hero shutting down his old team

Reactions: sbpointer

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
From the highlights it looks like Oshawa had some bad puck luck and could have easily scored two or three in the first half of the game had things been a little different.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
His play in the net has been better as of late I agree but his puck handling behind the net is very risky at times and it cost them tonight. Ennis didn't even have a chance to play the puck before a London player was barreling down in him.

True, but what is Kooy supposed to do in that situation? Ennis needs to go further into the corner then to give him an outlet or come back behind the net and take it off him. Ennis went in between and then wasn't sure with the puck when he got it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 9.42.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 9.42.28 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
From the highlights it looks like Oshawa had some bad puck luck and could have easily scored two or three in the first half of the game had things been a little different.

Not exaggerating when I say 5 pucks got behind Brochu in the crease and 0 of them went in. I can't remember seeing anything like that in a Gens game. London is obviously the better team though and their top players took over in the 3rd period.

The Gens are going to finish 4th (magic number to clinch that is down to 2) which was really always the case as the Gens schedule for this month is so difficult with most of them coming on the road as well and the Petes have such an easy stretch in their schedule and most of them being at home. So these close games against good teams will help them in the long run. They just need to stay healthy and make sure they're happy with their play going into the playoffs. It's looking like an Oshawa vs Barrie or Mississauga round 1 with the Gens having the home ice

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
True, but what is Kooy supposed to do in that situation? Ennis needs to go further into the corner then to give him an outlet or come back behind the net and take it off him. Ennis went in between and then wasn't sure with the puck when he got it
I guess it's all situational and in the moment but what about passing back behind him...

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
He’s been playing better than he has all year. Took him a while to get back his confidence. Even the best goalies in the world will toss up an ill advised pass here and there. Bet he’s kicking himself for losing his spot in London-you can put grandma in net there and win. If he had his head on straight and stayed there, they’d win the Cup.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
LaSalle was down 3-1 in the first round series and after that Matt Sbrocca went 3-0 and stopped 92/95 for a .968 save % to move on to round 2

Interesting Gens prospect to keep an eye on, although probably for 2 seasons from now
Not sure if there’s room for him next year. But doesn’t this look oddly familiar to another Memorial Cup year?

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Great example of his awful puck handling ability below ( Thanks HockeyPops!) . In my experience this is more the norm then the other.

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
The Generals are one win or 1 Barrie lose in clinching home ice advantage for the playoffs, I think 3rd is out out the ?, Pete's have a good team and nothing to feel ashamed about finishing 4th, playing much better now heading towards the playoffs which anything can happen.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Not sure if there’s room for him next year. But doesn’t this look oddly familiar to another Memorial Cup year?

No there definitely isn't room next year, but the year after likely will be. Although 2003 born Patrick Leaver also is looking really good this year in the CCHL2 with a .920 save % in 27 games, hopefully he moves up to a higher league next year

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Great example of his awful puck handling ability below ( Thanks HockeyPops!) . In my experience this is more the norm then the other.

Is there a junior hockey goalie who's really good at it? When the Gens were in Peterborough last week Hunter Jones put one onto Tullio's tape for an empty net. Nico Daws mishandled it twice behind the net on Friday night in Guelph, although neither ended up going in, and most of the time Cedrick Andree doesn't even put his opposite hand on the stick, he just one hand baseball swings it into the corner for his D-man and those are the 3 best goalies in the league by far

Kooy certainly isn't awful at playing the puck. He's the most aggressive puck handling goalie the Gens have had in a while and when you're aggressive with something obviously at times it's going to backfire on you but that's the first goal against you could blame on his puck handling, in 21 games

Yeah this is the guy the Gens were hoping to get when they trade for him.

His last 5 games against 5 of the best teams in the league in @ Peterborough, @ Ottawa, vs Ottawa, @ Guelph and @ London

And in those games he's stopped 155/166 for a .938 save %

Gens haven't been scoring lately, but Kooy has been fantastic
Was nice to see Kooy come back to London and show the game that always brought a smile to my face while he was here. Kid is a battler. Sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reason, but i wish him well moving forward. Definitely has all the tools. Just has to wrap his head around the opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad