Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Was nice to see Kooy come back to London and show the game that always brought a smile to my face while he was here. Kid is a battler. Sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reason, but i wish him well moving forward. Definitely has all the tools. Just has to wrap his head around the opportunity

Are London fans expecting next year to be another "go for it" year or will you be losing too many top guys? Basically what I'm asking is will Connor McMichael going back to the childhood team he rooted for even be at all possible or completely out of the question you think? lol

Are London fans expecting next year to be another "go for it" year or will you be losing too many top guys? Basically what I'm asking is will Connor McMichael going back to the childhood team he rooted for even be at all possible or completely out of the question you think? lol
Considering London's draft cupboard is still full after giving up very little at this year's deadline, coupled with rumblings I've heard about Vlasic possibly reporting for next season. I'd say next season is a go for it year. I feel McMichael will return unless he is lights out in Washington and they spot him in on the 4th line. The Caps are deep

Reactions: TheCoach

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Considering London's draft cupboard is still full after giving up very little at this year's deadline, coupled with rumblings I've heard about Vlasic possibly reporting for next season. I'd say next season is a go for it year. I feel McMichael will return unless he is lights out in Washington and they spot him in on the 4th line. The Caps are deep

Yeah McMichael will be back, as good as he is, he's not NHL ready.

Didn't realize London has so many picks still left. Knowing that I'm kind of surprised they didn't do more at this deadline, especially since they're using an OA spot on a backup goalie.

Losing Foudy, Gruden, Regula, Merkley, Willms, Phillips will be tough but with that many picks they can certainly get good again very quickly, especially if Stranges is a lot better next year like many expect he will be

Yeah McMichael will be back, as good as he is, he's not NHL ready.

Didn't realize London has so many picks still left. Knowing that I'm kind of surprised they didn't do more at this deadline, especially since they're using an OA spot on a backup goalie.

Losing Foudy, Gruden, Regula, Merkley, Willms, Phillips will be tough but with that many picks they can certainly get good again very quickly, especially if Stranges is a lot better next year like many expect he will be
I still believe the key will be whether or not Vlasic reports. If he comes it will open an opportunity to "load and go" for the Knights.

Reactions: TheCoach

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I still believe the key will be whether or not Vlasic reports. If he comes it will open an opportunity to "load and go" for the Knights.

Yeah as of right now the D core going into next year would be
Steklov-Skinner
Roger-Keane
Mailloux-Montgomery

Which isn't exactly a championship D-core on paper

Yeah as of right now the D core going into next year would be
Steklov-Skinner
Roger-Keane
Mailloux-Montgomery

Which isn't exactly a championship D-core on paper
Also with the potential that the West Champ could get an automatic Memorial Cup birth if the East host(wink wink) makes the final. It makes next year a go for it year for any contender from the West

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
No there definitely isn't room next year, but the year after likely will be. Although 2003 born Patrick Leaver also is looking really good this year in the CCHL2 with a .920 save % in 27 games, hopefully he moves up to a higher league next year
Too bad he’s a good prospect. He won’t stick around for another year. I’m sure they’ll have to move him.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Oh sorry. I’m excited to see Leaver here in 2 years, but Sbrocca won’t wait another year. They’ll need to move him.

I mean, he doesn't really have a choice. And he's already signed with the Gens so he couldn't even threaten to go NCAA, he's not allowed to now

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Is this true? I thought he actually had to play to lose his eligibility?

You lose it by taking part in an OHL teams main camp or playing exhibition games for them, which he did both this year. You can only attend the rookie camp and then still go NCAA

And he signed an OHL contract, which I would guess also takes you out of NCAA eligibility as well, although I don't know the exact rule on that

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
For sure, exhibition games will forfeit NCAA eligibility; didn't know he played in those. You can actually attend main camp as long as you pay your own way and still keep eligibility. No idea about whether signing a contract forfeits eligibility though.

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
was #29 injured or just a healthy scratch v ldn?

Good to have McKinney back.

Gio V playing much better these days.

#25 seems to get better every game.

Still like #12 on D.

Ennis and Brewer quietly effective, although Ennis is prone to the odd panic gaffe.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
was #29 injured or just a healthy scratch v ldn?

Good to have McKinney back.

Gio V playing much better these days.

#25 seems to get better every game.

Still like #12 on D.

Ennis and Brewer quietly effective, although Ennis is prone to the odd panic gaffe.

If Kooy keeps playing like he has lately and is the goalie next year, that's one of your OAs. McShane is another. So the 3rd OA would come down to Ennis vs Vallati (assuming Gross gets signed). As you said Vallati has been good lately and I think it's clear that Walters really likes him so I wonder if Ennis would be out if they go with Kooy

Reactions: Whatanathol

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You lose it by taking part in an OHL teams main camp or playing exhibition games for them, which he did both this year. You can only attend the rookie camp and then still go NCAA

And he signed an OHL contract, which I would guess also takes you out of NCAA eligibility as well, although I don't know the exact rule on that

For sure, exhibition games will forfeit NCAA eligibility; didn't know he played in those. You can actually attend main camp as long as you pay your own way and still keep eligibility. No idea about whether signing a contract forfeits eligibility though.

you can sign and still go ncaa, you just have to sit out for a time period as a penalty, i believe its normally a year.

Ex-Maine Commit Johnson Signs with London Knights

one year ban after playing a game, i guess its less if you never played.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You must be a parent. Same team your building up lost in the first round of playoffs last year. They have zero chance of top 5 in province and top 10 is a massive long shot

Oshawa minor midgets finish the season ranked inside the top 10 of the province, and are going to the OHL Cup, which I told you they would :nod:

I accept your apology (and if you thought I wasn’t going to remember this convo you’re out of your mind hahah)

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Still cant believe no call on the Vallati head check, and of course they score on the PP and win by one. OHL refs are so bad

the guy who threw that hit, Daylon Groulx, got suspended for another head checking major penalty in his last game vs North Bay...

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Just sharing this article from the Chronicle sports writer Brandon Wright,It's a little bit long but has good points and I know SSM fans will disagree :)
The Ontario Hockey League (OHL) announced the Oshawa Generals and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds officially submitted bids to host the 2021 Memorial Cup tournament.

The Memorial Cup tournament has used its current format since 1983, adding the host city’s team into the tournament alongside the three league champions. The last time Oshawa was home to the Memorial Cup tournament was in 1987.
The City of Oshawa and the Oshawa Generals are best suited to be the hosts of next year’s Canadian Hockey League (CHL) championship tournament. Period.
In recent years, the tournament has been hosted in CHL arenas with the potential for the largest crowds. These crowds usually average 6,000 plus.
The GFL Memorial Gardens in Sault Ste. Marie has an insufficient capacity to host this kind of event. The rink’s capacity of 4,917 people is almost 1,500 less than the CHL average of 6,398.
If the CHL wants to make the most money possible, the easiest way is to sell more tickets. Oshawa can do this. Plain and simple.
While both teams fall short of the CHL average, the capacity of the Generals’ home rink, the 6,150-person capacity Tribute Communities Centre is much closer.
The last time the Memorial Cup tournament was played in a building with a capacity of less than 5,000 seats was in 2012 when it took place in Shawinigan, Que. The only other time in this century when a building of that size hosted was in 2002, in Guelph, Ont.
Smaller arenas don’t measure up. Oshawa is up 1-0.
Having a lot of seats in the building is one thing, but consistently filling them is another. This is yet another zone where the Oshawa Generals are superior.
Every year since the 2014-2015 season, the Generals have had an average attendance of more than 5,000 people. The Greyhounds have been averaging between 3,700 and 4,000 people during the same time period.
While the Greyhounds have fewer seats in the building, they are still having a hard time filling them at the same rate Oshawa is. Like any deep playoff run, the Memorial Cup would boost the numbers, resulting in more people attending games in Oshawa.
Oshawa has more seats and has proved they have no issue filling them.
Make it 2-0 Oshawa.
During its 101-year history, Memorial Cup tournaments have brought junior hockey fans in from across the country for a two-week spectacle. Having Oshawa host would be beneficial to those who travel to the tournament every year.
The largest airport in the country, Toronto Pearson Airport, is only about an hour away from the Tribute Communities Centre. The benefit of the tournament being played in the GTA? This distance can easily be covered by public transit.
If the tournament is played in southern Ontario, it increases the likelihood of the second OHL team’s fans to travel. For example, if the Kitchener Rangers or Kingston Frontenacs were to also make the tournament, their fans could drive the two-hour commute to see their team play.
If Sault Ste. Marie was to host, the closest OHL teams are more than four hours away in Sudbury and North Bay. It just does not make sense to have the tournament so far away from the major centre of the OHL.
Oshawa scores again, 3-0.
Fans of the Oshawa Generals have waited more than 30 years to see their team win a Memorial Cup championship on home ice. The chance at their CHL leading sixth championship should be played in Oshawa in 2021 – that’s just the facts.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Just sharing this article from the Chronicle sports writer Brandon Wright,It's a little bit long but has good points and I know SSM fans will disagree :)
The Ontario Hockey League (OHL) announced the Oshawa Generals and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds officially submitted bids to host the 2021 Memorial Cup tournament.

The Memorial Cup tournament has used its current format since 1983, adding the host city’s team into the tournament alongside the three league champions. The last time Oshawa was home to the Memorial Cup tournament was in 1987.
The City of Oshawa and the Oshawa Generals are best suited to be the hosts of next year’s Canadian Hockey League (CHL) championship tournament. Period.
In recent years, the tournament has been hosted in CHL arenas with the potential for the largest crowds. These crowds usually average 6,000 plus.
The GFL Memorial Gardens in Sault Ste. Marie has an insufficient capacity to host this kind of event. The rink’s capacity of 4,917 people is almost 1,500 less than the CHL average of 6,398.
If the CHL wants to make the most money possible, the easiest way is to sell more tickets. Oshawa can do this. Plain and simple.
While both teams fall short of the CHL average, the capacity of the Generals’ home rink, the 6,150-person capacity Tribute Communities Centre is much closer.
The last time the Memorial Cup tournament was played in a building with a capacity of less than 5,000 seats was in 2012 when it took place in Shawinigan, Que. The only other time in this century when a building of that size hosted was in 2002, in Guelph, Ont.
Smaller arenas don’t measure up. Oshawa is up 1-0.
Having a lot of seats in the building is one thing, but consistently filling them is another. This is yet another zone where the Oshawa Generals are superior.
Every year since the 2014-2015 season, the Generals have had an average attendance of more than 5,000 people. The Greyhounds have been averaging between 3,700 and 4,000 people during the same time period.
While the Greyhounds have fewer seats in the building, they are still having a hard time filling them at the same rate Oshawa is. Like any deep playoff run, the Memorial Cup would boost the numbers, resulting in more people attending games in Oshawa.
Oshawa has more seats and has proved they have no issue filling them.
Make it 2-0 Oshawa.
During its 101-year history, Memorial Cup tournaments have brought junior hockey fans in from across the country for a two-week spectacle. Having Oshawa host would be beneficial to those who travel to the tournament every year.
The largest airport in the country, Toronto Pearson Airport, is only about an hour away from the Tribute Communities Centre. The benefit of the tournament being played in the GTA? This distance can easily be covered by public transit.
If the tournament is played in southern Ontario, it increases the likelihood of the second OHL team’s fans to travel. For example, if the Kitchener Rangers or Kingston Frontenacs were to also make the tournament, their fans could drive the two-hour commute to see their team play.
If Sault Ste. Marie was to host, the closest OHL teams are more than four hours away in Sudbury and North Bay. It just does not make sense to have the tournament so far away from the major centre of the OHL.
Oshawa scores again, 3-0.
Fans of the Oshawa Generals have waited more than 30 years to see their team win a Memorial Cup championship on home ice. The chance at their CHL leading sixth championship should be played in Oshawa in 2021 – that’s just the facts.

He is the guy who does the Gens tweets for their official account, so I’m not sure if he could say he’s impartial. But I agree with the sentiment... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad