Oshawa Generals 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Miss seeing this thread consistently active. Serron Noel was able to crack Canada's U18 team. I'm really excited to see what he brings to the Gens in his 2nd season. Would have been nice to see McShane there as well, but hopefully he's healed up and ready to play for the season opener.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for that info Tucker. I realize it's Keyser's job to lose in net but I was just wondering if the Gens still hold the OHL rights to Logan Gauthier and Barrett Mundell?

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Thanks for that info Tucker. I realize it's Keyser's job to lose in net but I was just wondering if the Gens still hold the OHL rights to Logan Gauthier and Barrett Mundell?

I've been wondering about Mundell myself, didn't seem like he played many games last season. Elite Prospect shows just 10 GP with Newmarket. My guess would be Gauthier or Torchia. Once Keyser came in, Gauthier got some games with the Fury and played quite well. Torchia's numbers are a little messy, but he was playing behind a weak Orangeville team.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Some news that Roger Hunt clarifies:

Generals working on getting Nico Gross to Oshawa but deal not done yet, GM Roger Hunt says

SWITZERLAND -- Swiss defenceman Nico Gross was chosen by the Oshawa Generals in the 2017 Canadian Hockey League import draft. - Twitter photo
OSHAWA — Roger Hunt was dismissive Tuesday of rumours circulating on social media, although he was optimistic at least one would soon come true for his Oshawa Generals.

Despite news seemingly coming out of Switzerland that defenceman Nico Gross would be joining the Generals for the 2017-18 Ontario Hockey League season, Hunt said nothing is yet official with respect to the player he recently selected with the 34th pick of the Canadian Hockey League import draft.

“I certainly can’t confirm it. I was getting messages from people all over the place too,” said Hunt, the team’s vice president and general manager, when contacted by phone Tuesday. “I suspect that information has originated in Europe. I can say we’re working towards that, but I can certainly confirm right now that it’s still working in progress. It’s going well, but it’s not official.”

The information originated from the Twitter account of EV Zug, the Swiss team Gross played for last season. Roughly translated into English, the Tweet read: “The 17-year old defender Nico Gross plays next season with the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League.”

Story continues below

Hunt, while optimist it will happen, said he is still working on the details with Gross’s agent and the Swiss club.

“I don’t know what made it blow up today,” Hunt said. “Until any player walks through the door, and not just Nico, they’re not here.”

Gross would certainly be a nice addition to the Generals’ blue-line. A six-foot-three, 183-pound left-shooting defenceman, Gross — who turned 17 in January — was the youngest player on Switzerland’s World Junior hockey team, and the second youngest overall at the 2017 championships.

He’s currently playing at the 2017 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup tournament, which also includes Generals forward Serron Noel on the Canadian team.

Hunt flatly rejected a more persistent rumour that there might be more to come in the wake of last season’s trade with the Erie Otters that saw him send captain Anthony Cirelli to the Erie Otters for Allan McShane and draft picks. Specifically, rumours have been floated that a subsequent deal might see American forward Ivan Lodnia sent to the Generals at some point.

“There’s certainly no Part B to the Cirelli, McShane deal and certainly at the end of the day, Allan was the guy that we wanted and we’re thrilled that we got him,” Hunt said. “I can’t wait for the season to start with player like him going into his second year.”
McShane, 17, thrived with the Generals, putting up 21 points in 29 games to close out a 44-point rookie campaign in the OHL. It’s likely he too would be playing at the Hlinka tournament, but he was set back by an injury during the selection camp.

by Brian McNair

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Some news that Roger Hunt clarifies:

Generals working on getting Nico Gross to Oshawa but deal not done yet, GM Roger Hunt says

SWITZERLAND -- Swiss defenceman Nico Gross was chosen by the Oshawa Generals in the 2017 Canadian Hockey League import draft. - Twitter photo
OSHAWA — Roger Hunt was dismissive Tuesday of rumours circulating on social media, although he was optimistic at least one would soon come true for his Oshawa Generals.

Despite news seemingly coming out of Switzerland that defenceman Nico Gross would be joining the Generals for the 2017-18 Ontario Hockey League season, Hunt said nothing is yet official with respect to the player he recently selected with the 34th pick of the Canadian Hockey League import draft.

“I certainly can’t confirm it. I was getting messages from people all over the place too,†said Hunt, the team’s vice president and general manager, when contacted by phone Tuesday. “I suspect that information has originated in Europe. I can say we’re working towards that, but I can certainly confirm right now that it’s still working in progress. It’s going well, but it’s not official.â€

The information originated from the Twitter account of EV Zug, the Swiss team Gross played for last season. Roughly translated into English, the Tweet read: “The 17-year old defender Nico Gross plays next season with the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League.â€

Story continues below

Hunt, while optimist it will happen, said he is still working on the details with Gross’s agent and the Swiss club.

“I don’t know what made it blow up today,†Hunt said. “Until any player walks through the door, and not just Nico, they’re not here.â€

Gross would certainly be a nice addition to the Generals’ blue-line. A six-foot-three, 183-pound left-shooting defenceman, Gross — who turned 17 in January — was the youngest player on Switzerland’s World Junior hockey team, and the second youngest overall at the 2017 championships.

He’s currently playing at the 2017 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup tournament, which also includes Generals forward Serron Noel on the Canadian team.

Hunt flatly rejected a more persistent rumour that there might be more to come in the wake of last season’s trade with the Erie Otters that saw him send captain Anthony Cirelli to the Erie Otters for Allan McShane and draft picks. Specifically, rumours have been floated that a subsequent deal might see American forward Ivan Lodnia sent to the Generals at some point.

“There’s certainly no Part B to the Cirelli, McShane deal and certainly at the end of the day, Allan was the guy that we wanted and we’re thrilled that we got him,†Hunt said. “I can’t wait for the season to start with player like him going into his second year.â€
McShane, 17, thrived with the Generals, putting up 21 points in 29 games to close out a 44-point rookie campaign in the OHL. It’s likely he too would be playing at the Hlinka tournament, but he was set back by an injury during the selection camp.

by Brian McNair

I think Gross will be officially announced in a day or two. As for the Cirelli deal..he pretty much has to say there's no second part to the deal..right?

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
of course there isn't a second part of the deal :sarcasm: If any trade goes down with Erie, there will be value going back the other way in the name of picks which Erie needs with the cupboard bare now after the last few years. I think Oshawa will be right near the top of the East again and could be put over the top with a solid pick up of say a Lodnia or a player like Raddysh. just hoping:D

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Serron Noel scored the GWG as Canada defeated Sweden 4 to 1 in the semi-finals of the Ivan Hlinka. They are playing the Czech Republic in the finals right now.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Nico Gross

News Generals sign Euro pick LD Nico Gross:handclap: there
is now a log jam on the blueline, an interesting situation.
A couple weeks before we get going

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I'm just wondering if Alex Di Carlo is going to try to turn pro or maybe decided to attend university.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Gens will raise Tony Tanti's #22 to the rafters on October 21st. The Gens teased that it was the #22 for about a week making many think it could be Boone Jenner or even Cirelli. Loved both those players, but c'mon, Tanti's rookie season alone was enough to get him some recognition...81 goals and 69 assists...that's insane.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
As far as I know Blacker is still with the Generals, I know he had off season shoulder surgery.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Blacker is still not listed on OHL pre-season roster. Gross has Mono so there will be a delay on his arrival.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Gens training camp set for August 28th-31st.

Monday August 28th

4:45-5:45 Team Orr (Practice-Main Bowl)

6:00-7:00 Team Lindros (Practice-Main Bowl)

Tuesday August 29th

9:30-11:30 Lindros vs Orr (Scrimmage-Main Bowl)

3:45-5:45 Lindros vs Orr (Scrimmage-Main Bowl)

Wednesday August 30th

9:30-11:30 Lindros vs Orr (Scrimmage-Main Bowl)

3:45-5:45 Lindros vs Orr (Scrimmage-Main Bowl)

Thursday August 31st

10:45 – 12:45 Lindros vs Orr (Scrimmage-Main Bowl)

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Also of note....the Gens announced that due to personal reasons, Bob Jones will not be with the team to start to season. Sounds like he does plan to return at some point, but it looks like Nemisz and McIver will be holding down the fort.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
any news from camp so far? I haven't been over yet.

I really think this team is one of the top three teams in the East this year and they have recouped picks from previous years when the cupboard was empty. We need another scorer to play on top two lines.

Any thoughts on what line up will look like this year?

Forwards I'm assuming:

Studnicka
Henderson
Commisso
mcshane
antropov
noel
mclean
krastensberg
burt
heuther
kohn
wong
sparkes
gottschalk

defense

stillman
allen
ennis
brassard
di carlo
brewer
gross

goalie

keyser
gauthier

If erie is up for a lot of picks would love Lodnia or Raddysh :handclap:

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
I liked it a lot better when they did these camp scrimmages on a weekend so I could take the kids down to watch

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I haven't made it down to any of the scrimmages this year, but @GeneralsUpdates on twitter has been providing some coverage. Henderson, Studnicka, and Commisso have been really good. Nick Wong is having a really good first camp. Apparently there were only 2 FA invites this season. Cole Resnick being one has a played quite well, but he's in tough to find a way into that forward depth. Sounds like being drafted has put an extra step in Brassards game too.

*Other FA invite is Brandon Smyth

Last edited:

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I think wong will be solid. Saw him skate with generals kids hockey camp. He showed the kids a lot of the separate drills. He looked like a pretty smooth skater. Notived that mcshane looked like he has bulked up a little too. Noel looked taller. Those guys should make big jumps this year.

Would Erie like at least 3 seconds and 2 or three thirds for two years of Lodnia?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think wong will be solid. Saw him skate with generals kids hockey camp. He showed the kids a lot of the separate drills. He looked like a pretty smooth skater. Notived that mcshane looked like he has bulked up a little too. Noel looked taller. Those guys should make big jumps this year.

Would Erie like at least 3 seconds and 2 or three thirds for two years of Lodnia?

It would take more than that, at least in my opinion.

Cirelli netted a top tier 2000 and two 2nds, and we've seen those high end 16 year olds worth 3-4 2nds or so.

For two years of Lodnia, I would want a 2001 born forward and probably 4 2nds.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The final Gens scrimmage game this morning did not have McShane or Maclean listed. Injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad