Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Ok; except, neither OS or OSH have many ‘19-‘21 picks. I doubt DeGray digs a bigger hole by dealing ‘23-‘24 picks

Except, you only need '23 and '24 picks either in the 23 and 24 drafts, or in 21 and 22 to be used in trades in "all in" years.

Picks that far off can be recouped in years you're trading off veteran players in down years.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
For the sake of potential trades,

Niagara has: 3 2nds and 6 3rds (0 2nds are in the coming draft)

Owen Sound has: 3 2nds and 4 3rds (0 2nds are in the coming draft)

Saginaw has: 11 2nds and 8 3rds (1 2nd is in the coming draft)

Guelph has: 10 2nds and 10 3rds (2 2nds are in the coming draft)

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Saginaw wants Keyser and not saying they do it will take perfetti +

Personally, I don’t see it that way. I think based on the DiPietro trade, I doubt it would be Perfetti plus for Keyser. It would depend more on whom contacts who. If it is Saginaw contacting Oshawa, maybe you’d be right. But, if it is Oshawa contacting Saginaw, it would probably be the other way around.

Although, if there were to be a deal worked out, it would probably be a little bigger of a trade involving more players on each side trying to find that right balance.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It wouldn't be a reach to say that had Perfetti been deemed a defective player and dealt in September, as a fifth overall pick, he would've brought in probably three or four second round picks plus a couple of thirds in trade. That would've been for an unproven player.

Now a few months later, Perfetti, now very much a proven player, is expected to not be worth Keyser unless there's more going to the Generals.

For all intents and purposes, DiPietro went to the 67's for four 2nds and the rights to a player.

Are we to expect that Keyser is worth more?

Actually, it was three 2nds and rights to a player after you consider the 2nd Ottawa received. The player conditionals were the 4th 2nd and the two 3rds..

Referring to the defected player status, Saginaw would have received the first rounder next year too.

I agree that Keyser probably isn’t worth Perfetti straight up because There may not really be another team willing to pay anything serious. It would be interesting to see if Oshawa were to be able to flip Keyser for something significant.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Actually, it was three 2nds and rights to a player after you consider the 2nd Ottawa received. The player conditionals were the 4th 2nd and the two 3rds..

Referring to the defected player status, Saginaw would have received the first rounder next year too.

I agree that Keyser probably isn’t worth Perfetti straight up because There may not really be another team willing to pay anything serious. It would be interesting to see if Oshawa were to be able to flip Keyser for something significant.

True that about the 2nds.

I didn't include the compensatory 1st rounder as it wouldn't be coming from the team Perfetti would be traded to. I was trying to compare Perfetti's worth/cost in trade to his destination team in the September window vs the January trade deadline window.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
True that about the 2nds.

I didn't include the compensatory 1st rounder as it wouldn't be coming from the team Perfetti would be traded to. I was trying to compare Perfetti's worth in trade to his destination team in the September window vs the January trade deadline window.

Yes, I understand but the team would get that 1st so it only accentuates your point that they’d have gotten more for him as a defected player than trading for Keyser.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Unless someone knocks Hunt's socks off with a trade offer, I assume he'll keep Keyser. The Gens are already loaded on picks, even before a Studnicka trade. If they can do Moore+picks for Studnicka and add a '00 forward and/or good '99 forward. They can still potentially win that 4 vs 5 opening round series, which could be very valuable going into a long playoff run next year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Unless someone knocks Hunt's socks off with a trade offer, I assume he'll keep Keyser. The Gens are already loaded on picks, even before a Studnicka trade. If they can do Moore+picks for Studnicka and add a '00 forward and/or good '99 forward. They can still potentially win that 4 vs 5 opening round series, which could be very valuable going into a long playoff run next year

The Gens are without 2,5,6,7 picks in ‘19 and without 3,4,5 in’20; and, without 3rds ‘21-‘23. The Gens are really only loaded for the ‘23 & ‘24 drafts. If the team is going to sell and make its push in a year or two, nearer picks will be wanted.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The Gens are without 2,5,6,7 picks in ‘19 and without 3,4,5 in’20; and, without 3rds ‘21-‘23. The Gens are really only loaded for the ‘23 & ‘24 drafts. If the team is going to sell and make its push in a year or two, nearer picks will be wanted.

I would say that’s an asset, not a detriment. If you’re going to go for it next year, having no 2nds in the coming draft is perfect. That player won’t have a spot on the team anyways as it will be a veteran team and there’s no rush to move those picks now (like Ottawa will have to do because they have so many 2nds in the coming draft), you can wait and move it next year to fill holes

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would say that’s an asset, not a detriment. If you’re going to go for it next year, having no 2nds in the coming draft is perfect. That player won’t have a spot on the team anyways as it will be a veteran team and there’s no rush to move those picks now (like Ottawa will have to do because they have so many 2nds in the coming draft), you can wait and move it next year to fill holes

((If)) next year is the year, the Gens will want ‘19 2-7 picks playing jr & ‘20 picks so there won’t a big gap in an age group for rebuild

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
((If)) next year is the year, the Gens will want ‘19 2-7 picks playing jr & ‘20 picks so there won’t a big gap in an age group for rebuild

The Gens are pretty good at drafting, so even if they end up short on the draft picks, they always seem to have top guys who they can sell off for a top of assets.

Can't help but feel like becuase Kingston screwed up their '99 first rounder, the Gens arent in a great position to win this year. If Kingston drafted someone better than Robbie Burt and that's who the Gens got for Dal Colle, they'd be in great shape this year. That's why I'd be okay with Studnicka for Moore+picks. Moore is going to be a stud. I've loved him since his Marlies days

3 picks later was Nick Suzuki. 4 picks after Burt was Isaac Ratcliffe and 6 picks after Burt was Evan Bouchard. Oh what could have been.... Lol

vouve

Dec 8, 2015
The Gens are pretty good at drafting, so even if they end up short on the draft picks, they always seem to have top guys who they can sell off for a top of assets.

Can't help but feel like becuase Kingston screwed up their '99 first rounder, the Gens arent in a great position to win this year. If Kingston drafted someone better than Robbie Burt and that's who the Gens got for Dal Colle, they'd be in great shape this year. That's why I'd be okay with Studnicka for Moore+picks. Moore is going to be a stud. I've loved him since his Marlies days

3 picks later was Nick Suzuki. 4 picks after Burt was Isaac Ratcliffe and 6 picks after Burt was Evan Bouchard. Oh what could have been.... Lol
Did Kingston "screw up"? Seems to me Jones had the responsibility of the bulk of his development.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Did Kingston "screw up"? Seems to me Jones had the responsibility of the bulk of his development.

It was definitely the Gens that screwed up in trading DaColle for a player they could not develop.
Though concussions played a part in that?

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

You can’t develop a non-skill guy into a 100 point guy. Burt was a solid power forward who was a good 3rd liner in a checking role. That was his ceiling

That year the Gens ran into the same problem teams trying to sell will run into this year. It’s a buyers market. Limited teams were in in Dal Colle and most wouldn’t trade their ‘99 rookie first rounder

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You can’t develop a non-skill guy into a 100 point guy. Burt was a solid power forward who was a good 3rd liner in a checking role. That was his ceiling

That year the Gens ran into the same problem teams trying to sell will run into this year. It’s a buyers market. Limited teams were in in Dal Colle and most wouldn’t trade their ‘99 rookie first rounder

And, Kingston probably knew where they stood with Burt and that is why Oshawa ended up with him. It’s not necessarily possible Kingston would have traded a higher value 1st rounder in that deal.

We still aren’t 100% sure we are in a buyers market right now. Owen Sound and SSM need to get off their fence first. I know we are reasonably certain OS is a seller but it looks like SSM is at least going to stay status quo and look for some home playoff revenue.

With respect to goaltending, as usual it is a buyers market. Same with OA’s. I am not sure the 19 year old forwards and d-Men will create a buyers market. I still think that portion of the market will remain somewhat tough on cost. I think the Robertson trade proves that. Kingston got a pretty good deal there. It wasn’t lights out but it wasn’t full on buyers market either.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
And, Kingston probably knew where they stood with Burt and that is why Oshawa ended up with him. It’s not necessarily possible Kingston would have traded a higher value 1st rounder in that deal.

We still aren’t 100% sure we are in a buyers market right now. Owen Sound and SSM need to get off their fence first. I know we are reasonably certain OS is a seller but it looks like SSM is at least going to stay status quo and look for some home playoff revenue.

With respect to goaltending, as usual it is a buyers market. Same with OA’s. I am not sure the 19 year old forwards and d-Men will create a buyers market. I still think that portion of the market will remain somewhat tough on cost. I think the Robertson trade proves that. Kingston got a pretty good deal there. It wasn’t lights out but it wasn’t full on buyers market either.

That year it was rumoured London wanted MDC with Vande Sompel and Bouchard was coming back, but London pulled out last minute and only got Vande Sompel. Good decision for them lol, although they lost that year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad