Oshawa Generals 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longtime Gens fan

Apr 23, 2015
There are plenty of hotels. Went to the Mem Cup in Quebec City and majority of the hotels where away from the rink. Our hotel was $20 cab ride away. If the selection committee uses that as an excuse it's complete BS

Hard to compare Oshawa to Quebec. The hotels are mostly in Whitby. Hotels were part of the argument on the last failed bid. Only the new Holiday Inn is different now. No I am not counting La Quinta.

I have not done any research but I am certain that both Regina and Hamilton have a wider range of hotel accommodation than Oshawa particularly if you are looking for 4 and 5 star hotels where the teams would likely be put up. I think the Gens were at the Hilton in Quebec. What Oshawa hotel compares with that?

Staying in downtown Quebec is very different than anything Oshawa can offer. There is nothing around many of the hotels in Durham Region.

I am supporting Oshawa's bid but history is only one aspect that will be considered.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Hard to compare Oshawa to Quebec. The hotels are mostly in Whitby. Hotels were part of the argument on the last failed bid. Only the new Holiday Inn is different now. No I am not counting La Quinta.

I have not done any research but I am certain that both Regina and Hamilton have a wider range of hotel accommodation than Oshawa particularly if you are looking for 4 and 5 star hotels where the teams would likely be put up. I think the Gens were at the Hilton in Quebec. What Oshawa hotel compares with that?

Staying in downtown Quebec is very different than anything Oshawa can offer. There is nothing around many of the hotels in Durham Region.

I am supporting Oshawa's bid but history is only one aspect that will be considered.

I understand what you are saying. And you're right that downtown Quebec is prettying awesome especially compared to the Shwa. But downtown Hamilton is no Quebec can't speak for Regina. The New Holiday Inn is nice. LaQuinta is where the NHL alumni players stay during the Eric Lindros tournament for Easter Seals. The Hilton the team stayed at wasn't 5 star in my opinion. My point being that last bid they said we didn't have enough accommodations. We now have 2 hotels walking distance from the rink and the Durham Hotel which is under renovation on Bloor east along with the 3 hotels along the 401 by Stevenson. I think it's plenty. We will see

Mayday3*

I think his point was that the Hilton that the Gens stayed at in Quebec was like 30 minutes from the rink. So there are plenty of 5 star hotels within 30 minutes from the rink here too (Pickering/Whitby/Ajax)

Mayday3*

Manchurek named captain for the rest of the season. Huether also promoted to an A

Mayday3*

Peterborough should win tonight but Friday/Sunday will be interesting. Two good tests for this young team against Hamilton/Kingston

Mayday3*

Here's the first lineup with the new team, Antropov out with the flu

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I think his point was that the Hilton that the Gens stayed at in Quebec was like 30 minutes from the rink. So there are plenty of 5 star hotels within 30 minutes from the rink here too (Pickering/Whitby/Ajax)

Lol pretty much. Thanks Mayday. This is junior hockey the kids don't need the Westin Harbour Castle. And my hotel in Quebec The Mariot was around the corner from the Hilton. I made the decision it was more important to be near the bars than the rink. I choose wisely as it was a great couple nights I think!

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Manchurek named captain for the rest of the season. Huether also promoted to an A

Pretty much what I expected. Gives the Generals time to evaluate the "new" team over the next 6-8 months to see who they want to lead this them into the next phase. It's also a nice tip of the hat to the last remaining General who played in the Memorial Cup and spent his entire career here. I think it's a solid decision.

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
1st Generals goals by McShane, Brassard and Kohn. 1st Generals point for Ennis. Brodeur was outstanding but let in a softie to end the game. Generals were dominated most of the game but stole a point on the road against the Petes which is a bonus.

Mayday3*

Allan McShane looks like the real deal already. Had a goal in his 1st game and deked the Petes D and Wells in OT but hit the post. Then Ang completely fans and still scores, unlucky but the Gens are still in 1st thanks to the point. I was expecting the Petes to kill them tonight so great fight back from a young team and Brodeur was a stud as usual. Petes 5 goals were 2 rebounds, 2 tips and a flutter puck that was 99% fanned on, tough to blame him on any of them

NV

Aug 22, 2003
FWIW, I thought McShane was awesome. He's going to be dynamite for you guys. Probably Gens best forward already. On the flip side, I thought Blacker had a hard time dealing with the speed of the Petes forwards. Kohn was strong in the puck all night as well and obviously on the GTG.

Mayday3*

I was in shock that the Petes healthy scratched Declan Chisholm (Bowmanville native) on his birthday tonight. It's not like the Petes have 6 stud D-men and you can't fit him in. Fraser is probably better but you can't get Chisholm in over him on his bday? Those are the little things that the Gens do as a franchise, which I appreciate

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

There's a Hilton in Ajax and a Marriott in Whitby. Plenty of places to stay in Durham.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I was in shock that the Petes healthy scratched Declan Chisholm (Bowmanville native) on his birthday tonight. It's not like the Petes have 6 stud D-men and you can't fit him in. Fraser is probably better but you can't get Chisholm in over him on his bday? Those are the little things that the Gens do as a franchise, which I appreciate

Maybe. But the Petes are in a unique opportunity to win the conference and last night was as important a game as they have played this year. So you go with your top guys I guess. The Petes are going to have to tighten up their play to stop teams from good scoring chances. Overall they did a bit better job of that last night but Oshawa didn't need much of a window to get back in this game.

The Petes were gripping their sticks a bit tight last night, the early lead notwithstanding. It's a new dynamic being the favored team but a little reality like a close game doesn't hurt. Oshawa is not going to hand anything over to us.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I wasn't @ the game in Peterborough only say highlights McShane & Koln looks good
but notice from the highlights that Blacker is a bit slow, he may need time to adjust as didn't get much playing time in London. What are your thoughts on the new players?

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
I wasn't @ the game in Peterborough only say highlights McShane & Koln looks good
but notice from the highlights that Blacker is a bit slow, he may need time to adjust as didn't get much playing time in London. What are your thoughts on the new players?

I was really impressed with McShane. If what we saw last night is what we are going to get from him (and even more as he matures), I am very impressed. He came millimeters from winning the game in OT with a nifty move after scoring a solid goal during regulation. Kohn was also good. Seems like he's going to add some grit, toughness and talent to the roster.

I am going to reserve my judgement on Blacker right now. First game after being seldom used in London. Needless to say, I didn't like the Vande Sompel/Blacker trade. I'm pulling for the kid though and based on everything I've heard about him, he's going to be just fine.

They definitely missed Cirelli and MVS last night, understandably. Specifically on faceoffs (AC) and carrying the puck out of their own end (all game) and into the attacking zone on the PP. Lots of gaps left in many facets by these two but that will come in time.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
As Babcock said last year, " there's going to be some pain..." Likely not nearly as muc has by Leaf fans last year, however. Faceoff numbers were not good last night!

Mayday3*

Maybe. But the Petes are in a unique opportunity to win the conference and last night was as important a game as they have played this year. So you go with your top guys I guess.

You're not going to win or lose a game because of your 6th D man very often (although Fraser did have a terrible pinch that led directly to a Gens goal). That's the kind of stuff that just pisses off a young player and puts a sour taste in his mouth

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
You're not going to win or lose a game because of your 6th D man very often (although Fraser did have a terrible pinch that led directly to a Gens goal). That's the kind of stuff that just pisses off a young player and puts a sour taste in his mouth

The Petes may alternate Fraser with Chisholm for the rest of the season. Not sure. Like Chisholm, Fraser is also a young guy who is developing and he has a different skill set than Chisholm and a year older. They may play Fraser against certain teams and Chisholm against others. With Grima traded, Chisholm will get more ice.

Mayday3*

The Petes may alternate Fraser with Chisholm for the rest of the season. Not sure. Like Chisholm, Fraser is also a young guy who is developing and he has a different skill set than Chisholm and a year older. They may play Fraser against certain teams and Chisholm against others. With Grima traded, Chisholm will get more ice.

Which is perfectly fine. But my point is that on his birthday, you need to make the games alternate so that he gets to play on his bday and he isn't stuck sitting in the stands watching...

Mayday3*

I was there tonight and didn't think Blacker looked like he was too slow to play in the OHL, as some suggested he might be. Had no problem engaging physically and even jumped up in the zone a few times. Will be tough to watch this inexperienced back at times for the last half of the year but they need the experience that will come. I continue to really like Ennis. MacLean will have a big 2nd half now that he's with good wingers. Krastenbergs had 2/3 breakaways tonight, which he did all WJC tournament so nice to see that translating to the OHL.

I continue to not be able to get a good read on Keyser. He makes some unbelievable saves but he also seems to never do enough to win, whereas Brodeur (3 years older I know) seems to be the opposite and he just hangs around and does enough to constantly win games. No doubt Keyser has the talent to be great, but he's only won 4 of the 12 games he's started this year now, although Dylan Wells was statistically the worst goalie in the league last year and now is one of the best, so who knows I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad