Oshawa Generals 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I wonder if the gens will do the majority of their trading in the offseason or at the deadline. Also this decision ties into their first round pick and whether they get a chance to prove themselves

Mayday3*

I wonder if the gens will do the majority of their trading in the offseason or at the deadline. Also this decision ties into their first round pick and whether they get a chance to prove themselves

It depends. The elite players (Raddysh, Mascherin, Vilardi) likely won't be made available until the trade deadline but I bet the Gens get some people in the off-season, but not a superstar like the people mentioned above

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
It depends. The elite players (Raddysh, Mascherin, Vilardi) likely won't be made available until the trade deadline but I bet the Gens get some people in the off-season, but not a superstar like the people mentioned above

Raddysh should be available right away .. lol we need picks the second we can get them next year

Cirelli with an assist tonight. You could tell erie had 0 chemistry with their top 3 lines so hard to judge him fully. He was just trying not to get lost out there. Played the point on the second PP unit and played plenty of PK minutes.
Kitchener for a bit in the early 3rd was buzzing and started to control play a bit. Cirelli/Raddysh line came on and Cirelli put out 2 hits. Later on he set up a pass which led to a dish for goal.
Love his compete already

Mayday3*

Raddysh should be available right away .. lol we need picks the second we can get them next year

Cirelli with an assist tonight. You could tell erie had 0 chemistry with their top 3 lines so hard to judge him fully. He was just trying not to get lost out there. Played the point on the second PP unit and played plenty of PK minutes.
Kitchener for a bit in the early 3rd was buzzing and started to control play a bit. Cirelli/Raddysh line came on and Cirelli put out 2 hits. Later on he set up a pass which led to a dish for goal.
Love his compete already

Erie will have not many players left next year though... They'll likely try to ride Raddysh getting them points as long as they can. Although then of course you risk an injury leaving you with no return for him

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
The thing I thought about afterwards is what are the slim chances these different star players make the nhl and we've already traded for them. Ex. Villardi makes Las Vegas unexpectedly because of the lack of depth and Windsor is laughing as they took our 1st and 5 other picks. A very small chance I know but I kind of just convinced myself it would be smarter to do trades later in the season

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The thing I thought about afterwards is what are the slim chances these different star players make the nhl and we've already traded for them. Ex. Villardi makes Las Vegas unexpectedly because of the lack of depth and Windsor is laughing as they took our 1st and 5 other picks. A very small chance I know but I kind of just convinced myself it would be smarter to do trades later in the season

Vilardi has a chance.
Raddysh - 98% chance he is back. His skating isn't where it needs to be. He could also improve his strength like any player and his entire 200 ft game. Top it off with a Tampa Bay team that is good and competing, he ain't cracking that lineup unless he has a huge summer

Mayday3*

Vilardi has a chance.
Raddysh - 98% chance he is back. His skating isn't where it needs to be. He could also improve his strength like any player and his entire 200 ft game. Top it off with a Tampa Bay team that is good and competing, he ain't cracking that lineup unless he has a huge summer

And he'd have to make it over graduating guys like Cirelli/Stephens/Joseph/Yan/Taamela. That won't happen. Raddysh will be back

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Generals must first lock up the host for the Memorial Cup before we start talking seriously about what they will or won't do.

The Generals have a decent nucleus of players but it isn't in their best interest to go all in next year if they are not the host team. They are better off waiting it out another year or two and continue building. Maybe even sell again next year and build around McShane and Andropov.

It is likely they will have three solid OA's for the '98 birth class in 2018-2019 season. The Gens '99 and '00 class is nice. It may be better to make a run the following year if the Memorial Cup is awarded to another city.

That being said, I think it is Oshawa's Cup Host to lose but you never really know.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
The Generals must first lock up the host for the Memorial Cup before we start talking seriously about what they will or won't do.

The Generals have a decent nucleus of players but it isn't in their best interest to go all in next year if they are not the host team. They are better off waiting it out another year or two and continue building. Maybe even sell again next year and build around McShane and Andropov.

It is likely they will have three solid OA's for the '98 birth class in 2018-2019 season. The Gens '99 and '00 class is nice. It may be better to make a run the following year if the Memorial Cup is awarded to another city.

That being said, I think it is Oshawa's Cup Host to lose but you never really know.

between OSH , Reg and HAM. OSH has to be the one with the better shot IMO

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
between OSH , Reg and HAM. OSH has to be the one with the better shot IMO

You can't count out Regina they have history too, as for Hamilton and it's nothing against the team but really no history if the memorial cup is awarded there it all because of this $$$$$$$$$$$$$

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
You can't count out Regina they have history too, as for Hamilton and it's nothing against the team but really no history if the memorial cup is awarded there it all because of this $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Actually we did win the memorial cup in 76 as we have just st as much history as each other team..

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
All I would like to see is for the organizing committee to insure all the seats are sold out regardless of the rink size, where ever it is awarded to, nothing worse to watch a high caliber event on TV with empty seats in the stands. A small full rink is a lot better than a half empty larger one !!

Mayday3*

Eeli Tolvanen coming could/would change that though. He'd likely be only here for 1 year and would be one of the best players in the league

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
As said on the Petes thread, "the Gens just did us a big favour" (to let us move past them as one of the favs in the East). I still think Missy is going to win the East and it looks like they are starting to roll. The Gens brought in two good young players, but keep in mind, Blacker is totally inexperienced...seldom played in London due to their depth and McShane is a rookie3. He has good stats but look at the talent that was surrounding him. I do not expect them to have an impact on the team this year but hopefully will add some skill next year. (Actually, I was hoping the Gens would draft McShane or McBain last spring, so I got my wish...belatedly!)

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Draft Schmaft! The Gens now have on their roster 10 players acquired by the trade route. Does that sound like the league normal or is it a little on the high side?

Mayday3*

As said on the Petes thread, "the Gens just did us a big favour" (to let us move past them as one of the favs in the East). I still think Missy is going to win the East and it looks like they are starting to roll. The Gens brought in two good young players, but keep in mind, Blacker is totally inexperienced...seldom played in London due to their depth and McShane is a rookie3. He has good stats but look at the talent that was surrounding him. I do not expect them to have an impact on the team this year but hopefully will add some skill next year. (Actually, I was hoping the Gens would draft McShane or McBain last spring, so I got my wish...belatedly!)

On the flip side though, now they are going to actually get a chance to play. Now they will be on the PP/PK which they weren't on their past teams. Perfect example of how well that can work out for a guy is Eric Henderson

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
On the flip side though, now they are going to actually get a chance to play. Now they will be on the PP/PK which they weren't on their past teams. Perfect example of how well that can work out for a guy is Eric Henderson

McShane has been playing 1st or 2nd line minutes all season. His linemates for most of the season have been Raddysh and Debrincat.

Longtime Gens fan

Apr 23, 2015
but not 80 years history:nod:

While Oshawa clearly wins on history Hamilton has a larger arena and better hotels. I think the Regina rink and Oshawa's are around the capacity but Oshawa's is much newer. Regina and Hamilton likely win on the hotel front. Oshawa does not have a lot of hotel space although the new Holiday Inn downtown helps. There is ample space in the surrounding area though.

I think it really comes down to the quality of the bid. Each site has something to offer. It is only money then Hamilton wins by rink capacity.

It will be interesting. I hope it is Oshawa but this is likely a very close contest.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
While Oshawa clearly wins on history Hamilton has a larger arena and better hotels. I think the Regina rink and Oshawa's are around the capacity but Oshawa's is much newer. Regina and Hamilton likely win on the hotel front. Oshawa does not have a lot of hotel space although the new Holiday Inn downtown helps. There is ample space in the surrounding area though.

I think it really comes down to the quality of the bid. Each site has something to offer. It is only money then Hamilton wins by rink capacity.

It will be interesting. I hope it is Oshawa but this is likely a very close contest.

There are plenty of hotels. Went to the Mem Cup in Quebec City and majority of the hotels where away from the rink. Our hotel was $20 cab ride away. If the selection committee uses that as an excuse it's complete BS

Mayday3*

McShane has been playing 1st or 2nd line minutes all season. His linemates for most of the season have been Raddysh and Debrincat.

The odd game he was on line 1/2 but definitely not on a consistent bases. He was usually in the bottom 6 on a line with Fellows and Neumann (he's number 26)

He was also getting no powerplay time (only 1 of his 23 points are on the powerplay)

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
McShane never got pp time

And if he did it was during the WJC when everyone was gone or maybe a few chances with unit 2, but rare

He started the year with 3/4 line minutes, eventually he moved onto a line with Debrincat and Raddysh

Once Strome returned, Erie tried for about 1-1.5 games to put Strome with Debrincat and Raddysh but our depth was lacking and they very quickly went back to McShane centering Debrincat and Raddysh

Had they have gone forward with McShane he would have stayed centering that line
Strome hasn't played with Debrincat and Raddysh on even strength all but 1.5 games.

McShane, other than the first few weeks of the season was definitely getting top 6 minutes. Pretty much extensively. Even with Strome they had him paired in the top 6 all year

Mayday3*

My PP units would look like:

PP1: Henderson-Commisso-Manchurek-Mercier-Brassard

PP2: Huether-McShane-Antropov-Stillman-Studnicka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad