Oshawa Generals 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Can anyone explain how the Generals score a good goal. As displayed on the screen for all fans and the Bench he to see as they went nuts as we did for a linesmen to say he called high stick when it was clear there was no high stick against the Gens and they don't review this? They review offsides for Christ sakes. Not to say they win the game but it did deflate the team. Just don't understand the call

Mayday3*

Can anyone explain how the Generals score a good goal. As displayed on the screen for all fans and the Bench he to see as they went nuts as we did for a linesmen to say he called high stick when it was clear there was no high stick against the Gens and they don't review this? They review offsides for Christ sakes. Not to say they win the game but it did deflate the team. Just don't understand the call

Agree 100%. It blew my mind that it wasn't reviewed. They review everything

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Agree 100%. It blew my mind that it wasn't reviewed. They review everything
Mayday. Were you at the game? It was the worst officiating I've seen. The non goal. The clip on Keysers mask. The blind side on Comisso. Unreal. I don't ***** about refs(well until now lol) but this was unwatchable.

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Mayday. Were you at the game? It was the worst officiating I've seen. The non goal. The clip on Keysers mask. The blind side on Comisso. Unreal. I don't ***** about refs(well until now lol) but this was unwatchable.

I was at the game too. It was a real head scratcher but, did they not say the goal was called off due to goaltender interference?

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I was at the game too. It was a real head scratcher but, did they not say the goal was called off due to goaltender interference?
Didn't hear. I am up behind the Gens bench. When Jones went nuts the linesman motioned high stick. Jones pointed up to the screen and said go to review. Ref shook his head no. Our whole section was losing it so I didn't hear an announcement. It is what it is and again not saying they win a 5-1 game at all just didn't understand the call. Don't recall any goalie interference. But if you heard that then so be it. On another note McShane will be fun to watch and Kohn was great. Blacker looks like a big kid that needs to work on turning foot speed but could be good. I do miss watching MVS though

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Didn't hear. I am up behind the Gens bench. When Jones went nuts the linesman motioned high stick. Jones pointed up to the screen and said go to review. Ref shook his head no. Our whole section was losing it so I didn't hear an announcement. It is what it is and again not saying they win a 5-1 game at all just didn't understand the call. Don't recall any goalie interference. But if you heard that then so be it. On another note McShane will be fun to watch and Kohn was great. Blacker looks like a big kid that needs to work on turning foot speed but could be good. I do miss watching MVS though

It was very strange but I am sure that was the call. The odd thing was is that the replay didn't show a high stick OR goaltender interference. I am behind the Visitors bench and it was equally hard to hear and understand.

On MVS, after only two games without him...guy was the most impactful player on this team. He literally changed games and was such a huge presence. I too miss watching him play. The defence is a mess without him. He actually left the London game in the 2nd period and didn't return. Apparently he is day-to-day.

A few other notes:

The Generals flipped the script from Thursday at the dot and had a great night in the faceoff circle. They handily won this facet of the game.

I agree the officiating was awful. The blindside hit on Commisso was so evident yet totally missed or not called.

Matthew Brassard's title belt mocking of Justin Lemcke just made him one of my favourite players.

The Cleveland Browns lost 6-2 to Kingston so despite the loss, Generals are still in first.

The Ennis-DiCarlo pairing struggled last night. The Blacker-Brassard pairing on the other hand looked solid.

I continue to really like the additions of McShane and Kohn.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I like what Roger Hunt did @ the deadline (there was one clown in our section that made a sign saying fire Hunt what an idiot) this is starting to look like something good going to happen :)
Ref's we're brutal, and that disallowed goal was the back breaker we might of still lost but it deflated us and that's a sign of a young team

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
"The Cleveland Browns lost 6-2 to Kingston so despite the loss, Generals are still in first."

I'm not an NFL guy and don't really get the reference but I'm still laughing.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I agree the trades will pay off next year and following. That guy was down below me and was going on about how we got nothing for Tavares either. I said I liked Christian Thomas, valentine and the second Rd picks we used to acquire other players but he wasn't listening . If we had done nothing we might have made eastern final but wouldn't have any shot at winning the OHL this year and hunt knew that so we will be better for it moving forward.

Where you sitting Naz??

Mayday3*

I agree the trades will pay off next year and following. That guy was down below me and was going on about how we got nothing for Tavares either. I said I liked Christian Thomas, valentine and the second Rd picks we used to acquire other players but he wasn't listening . If we had done nothing we might have made eastern final but wouldn't have any shot at winning the OHL this year and hunt knew that so we will be better for it moving forward.

Where you sitting Naz??

2 of the Tavares picks also turned out to be Ken Appleby and Josh Brown.... the captain and the goalie who led us to a Memorial Cup. Not bad lol

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

Where you sitting Naz??

Sec 114 the clown comes over to our section once in awhile to talk to someone

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Found this on ohl prospects which I found interesting :

Oshawa Generals
In: Mason Kohn, Allan McShane, Ian Blacker, Matt Brassard, Draft picks (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 6, 10)
Out: Anthony Cirelli, Mitchell Vande Sompel, Daniel Robertson, Stephen Templeton, Draft picks (2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3)
Analysis: Easily one of the busiest teams at this year's deadline. They deal their two biggest stars, but also make a few subtle moves to try and improve next year too (Kohn, and Brassard). I do really like what they managed to do though. They got great value out of dealing Cirelli and Vande Sompel. McShane and Blacker are solid young players who will be a part of the Generals core for the next several years. Kohn will be a very valuable overager next year and Brassard provides more depth to a defense. Then there is all the picks, that the Generals will no doubt utilize to improve their club again either next year or the year after (depending on how the Memorial Cup process goes and whether it accelerates their mini rebuild). All in all, the Generals should still be competitive in the East this year (give themselves a chance to win a round), but also make themselves way better for the future.
Grade: A

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Can any Gens fans comment on the play of Danil Antropov this season? I've been intrigued since his Marlboro days and due to who is father is.

Last edited:

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
I found most of the people in my section (115) that I spoke to seemed to understand the trades and why they happened. But, there were a few people who were livid saying that you don't sell when you're in first. Like anything, there are different levels of understanding amongst fans so I'm not surprised some people didn't get it.

The Browns got beat by Kingston again last night getting swept in the home and home series. Simply put, the East sucks this year. Whoever wins the East is going to get slaughtered by the winner of the West. The Generals were smart to sell. There was no chance (outside of a Windsor win of the West) that they were going to the Memorial Cup this year.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Right on, Jeephockey! Hunt read the situation correctly. Look at the results since the 10th. The Gens do not have the firepower to get past more than one round (if they are lucky!). Missy is picking up steam and will surpass the Gens by the end of next week. The Petes were on a roll until they ran into Kingston, I predict the Gens will end up 3rd or 4th in their Conference. Not to be demeaning...just reality. We see a clearer pic after tonight.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
You know what? I think this McShane kid is going to be just fine. Gutsy win by the boys. Peccia played really well for the Fronts too

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Today's game just reinforces my comment above about the Gennies lacking snipers. They miss so many opportunies. But, they usually work hard.

Mayday3*

Today's game just reinforces my comment above about the Gennies lacking snipers. They miss so many opportunies. But, they usually work hard.

That's to be expected with such a young team. To me the most important thing is that they constantly work their ***** off. Manchurek is the only forward who won't be back next year. And he could be replaced by DeBoer and/or Tolvanen...

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Can any Gens fans comment on the play of Danil Antropov this season? I've been intrigued since his Marlboro days and due to who is father is.

Antropov's progress has been typically slow. He's had his moments but, by and large has looked like a normal OHL rookie. He's got good size and you can see he's talented. It will be interesting to see what he's like when reunited with Allan McShane. Antropov is currently on the shelf with an injury. He's expected to be out for a few more weeks. At the end of the day, he's pretty much where I figured he'd be at this point. He's the youngest player in the league so way too early to really evaluate.

Mayday3*

I've heard multiple scouts say they wouldn't be surprised if he's the best power forward in the OHL in 2-3 years. His game will be physical and puck protection and crashing the net but right now he is the youngest guy in the league so he hasn't had the impact yet that he will in future seasons. Excited to see him back from the shoulder injury though, he and McShane put up monster numbers together last year

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
On Antropov you have to remember the kid just turned 16 in late December. Playing three months of the OHL season as a 15 year old is pretty impressive.

Antropov started out passive and kind of kept away from the high traffic areas, didn't hold onto the puck for very long and because of that was unable to muster much offense.

However as his confidence grew he became more and more like the player that was strong with the Marlies and Don Mills the season prior. Antropov isn't the strongest skater, an likely never will be. However he thinks the game at a high level and his ability to anticipate the play and process the game quickly allows him to overcome average skating and a lack of quickness. Antropov uses his physical attributes to his advantage (size & strength) however he will never be a bone crushing physical player. Having seen him for a full two seasons in minor hockey he rarely throws body check. He more or less lays his body into a puck carrier to separate player from puck, using contact the "smart" way as some may say.

As most bigger bodied forwards do, Antropov will likely take some more time to adjust, which is fine given his 2019 NHL Draft year. But should he maximize his potential he will undoubtedly be one of the top players in the league by his 3rd/4th OHL season. He has all the tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad