Oshawa Generals 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Look at who his starts were against though. Like most backups, he played majority of his games against the weaker teams and with that roster in front of him, not surprising he succeeded. I just thought you'd give the OHL goalie of the year your faith, guess not.

I had Kingston walking away with the East fairly easily but now I think Barrie/Niagara have a chance with Helvig in there. I don't trust him

I think you would be surprised who he has played and beat.
And over the last half of the year has been the better goalie, you can say the older guy deserves the start but it's certainly not because helvig isn't worthy of the job.
I really have trouble thinking that they become the underdog going forward because of a goalie that only lost a handful of games all year is in the net, that's pretty silly.

Mayday3*

I think you would be surprised who he has played and beat.
And over the last half of the year has been the better goalie, you can say the older guy deserves the start but it's certainly not because helvig isn't worthy of the job.
I really have trouble thinking that they become the underdog going forward because of a goalie that only lost a handful of games all year is in the net, that's pretty silly.

To me Kingston's biggest threats are Barrie and North Bay

Peressini played all 4 against Barrie and 3/4 against North Bay this year.

So against the 2 legit teams in the East (other than Kingston), Helvig started 1 out of the 8 games

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
But Peressini went 2-2 against Barrie and gave up nine goals in the two wins over Barrie. Started three of four against North Bay but was pulled in one giving up 4 goals on 19 shots (which was also the last time Kingston played North Bay). His two wins came early in the season when North Bay was struggling and I was at one of those two games, he was awful and got bailed out by a strong team effort.

Peressini was the unquestioned starter at the start of the season and was given a significant amount of rope despite poor efforts. Did he win games.. yes. But look at the team playing in front of him his numbers should be what they were if not better. Peressini's play has tailed off more an more as the season went on while Helvig's has got better.

Helvig beat London twice.. there pretty good, 2-0 vs arguably the best team in the league. Beat Niagara three times, 2-0 vs North Bay, 3-0 vs Oshawa, 2-0 vs Ottawa, 1-0 vs Owen Sound that's 13-0 vs playoff teams. He's showed his ability to play well against good teams. Yeah he picked up victories against Hamilton, Guelph, Sudbury and Flint but its not his choice who he starts against, he simply went out and won and put up good numbers in the process.

Bottom line Helvig has been the better goalie all season regardless of opponent. Peressini has won games he shouldn't have won against good teams because of Kingston's talent, while Helvig has stole games against playoff caliber teams. Helvig is hot, Peressini is cold. Helvig proved himself in games against opponents of quality while Peressini was average to bad on some nights.

Peressini has been great throughout his career, but he just hasn't been great this year and with Helvig hot, having proved his capability to win against good teams it was the right call by Paul McFarland. Im a big fan of Lucas Peressini, he's battled for everything he's got, I was stoked he got a rookie camp offer from the Leafs but he hasn't been good. Sometimes we let past accomplishments cloud our judgement of players.

Mitts Marner*

But Peressini went 2-2 against Barrie and gave up nine goals in the two wins over Barrie. Started three of four against North Bay but was pulled in one giving up 4 goals on 19 shots (which was also the last time Kingston played North Bay). His two wins came early in the season when North Bay was struggling and I was at one of those two games, he was awful and got bailed out by a strong team effort.

Peressini was the unquestioned starter at the start of the season and was given a significant amount of rope despite poor efforts. Did he win games.. yes. But look at the team playing in front of him his numbers should be what they were if not better. Peressini's play has tailed off more an more as the season went on while Helvig's has got better.

Helvig beat London twice.. there pretty good, 2-0 vs arguably the best team in the league. Beat Niagara three times, 2-0 vs North Bay, 3-0 vs Oshawa, 2-0 vs Ottawa, 1-0 vs Owen Sound that's 13-0 vs playoff teams. He's showed his ability to play well against good teams. Yeah he picked up victories against Hamilton, Guelph, Sudbury and Flint but its not his choice who he starts against, he simply went out and won and put up good numbers in the process.

Bottom line Helvig has been the better goalie all season regardless of opponent. Peressini has won games he shouldn't have won against good teams because of Kingston's talent, while Helvig has stole games against playoff caliber teams. Helvig is hot, Peressini is cold. Helvig proved himself in games against opponents of quality while Peressini was average to bad on some nights.

Peressini has been great throughout his career, but he just hasn't been great this year and with Helvig hot, having proved his capability to win against good teams it was the right call by Paul McFarland. Im a big fan of Lucas Peressini, he's battled for everything he's got, I was stoked he got a rookie camp offer from the Leafs but he hasn't been good. Sometimes we let past accomplishments cloud our judgement of players.

One thing that always sticks out in my mind too, was the 2014 playoffs. Mahalak went in as the starter, but the backup, Lucas Peressini, was clearly the hotter goalie at the time, and Kingston went on to lose that series. I thought from the start that Gill should have playhed Lucas but he didn't.

I'm glad that Helvig is getting the starts. The records don't lie, and if he had played even 3 more games he would actually qualify to count toward goaltending stat leaders for the regular season, and he would be leading 2 of them.

core33

Feb 22, 2015
Bang on macker, you gotta go with who is playing better regardless of past performance. I've always been impressed by him. If he faulters at all along the way, you always have Lucas to come in. How can you argue with a SO first game regardless of the opponent.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Game 3 becomes a stiffer test for the Gens with SportsNet swooping in. Extra TV timeouts = more rest & more playing time for the Fronts big guns.

Man are Dal Colle & Watson ever a treat to watch, those two make some magic together for sure!

Clear that Oshawa is outmatched in this series but hey, if Gens fans are ever feeling down just look up at the banner that says 2015 MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS

Mayday3*

Interesting thought: with Bode Wilde and Blade Jenkins apparently going to sign with USNTDP, would it make sense for the Gens to draft someone like Blade Jenkins because they have every skater eligible to come back next year (plus a top 25 Euro pick). Could afford for someone like Jenkins to play a year with USNTDP and then come to the Gens the next year (like Tkachuk did with LDN) because then the Gens will be more ready to win.

Thoughts?

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Interesting thought: with Bode Wilde and Blade Jenkins apparently going to sign with USNTDP, would it make sense for the Gens to draft someone like Blade Jenkins because they have every skater eligible to come back next year (plus a top 25 Euro pick). Could afford for someone like Jenkins to play a year with USNTDP and then come to the Gens the next year (like Tkachuk did with LDN) because then the Gens will be more ready to win.

Thoughts?

I say stay away from Wilde we don't need a defenseman
The stage where the Generals are I think they can't afford not to have there 1st pick play next season especially when we're picking 7th, now if they are there in the 2nd rd then grab one of those players.I also say that the generals have to draft size.

Mayday3*

I say stay away from Wilde we don't need a defenseman
The stage where the Generals are I think they can't afford not to have there 1st pick play next season especially when we're picking 7th, now if they are there in the 2nd rd then grab one of those players.I also say that the generals have to draft size.

That's why I said Blade Jenkins, not Wilde....

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
That's why I said Blade Jenkins, not Wilde....

Oops:laugh: I still wouldn't take Jenkins as high as the Generals are picking in the draft the year for a player already committed south.
I like McShane but don't think he is rated that high in the 1st. I think the generals have to take the best forward available

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Also if I am not mistaken signing with the USNTDP is a 2 year commitment with a very high buy out if you leave after 1 year

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Wilde and Jenkins are about as close to signing with the NTDP as they are any OHL team that selects them. This is why twitter is ridiculousone person tweets a rumor an has everyone buying into it.

Wilde and Jenkins both have visited OHL teams and facilities, they both have excellent NCAA offers which will play into things as they'll dictate where they go. Don't be surprised to see Wilde go to Guelph and Jenkins to Hamilton or Saginaw.

Keep in mind Tkachuk came to the O but he went to London it was pre-arranged which is why they took a risk selecting him. No saying Jenkins gets picked then comes to the Gens a year later he has to want to come.

Fairly certain the Generals will go forward in the first round, with Jack McBain, Aidan Dudas or Connor Roberts being the pick. However I wouldn't completely sleep on Tyler Weiss despite his NCAA commitment. If the go defense look Owen Lalonde followed by Declan Chisholm (Bowmanville kid) or Giovanni Valati.

Mayday3*

Wilde and Jenkins are about as close to signing with the NTDP as they are any OHL team that selects them. This is why twitter is ridiculousone person tweets a rumor an has everyone buying into it.

Wilde and Jenkins both have visited OHL teams and facilities, they both have excellent NCAA offers which will play into things as they'll dictate where they go. Don't be surprised to see Wilde go to Guelph and Jenkins to Hamilton or Saginaw.

Keep in mind Tkachuk came to the O but he went to London it was pre-arranged which is why they took a risk selecting him. No saying Jenkins gets picked then comes to the Gens a year later he has to want to come.

Fairly certain the Generals will go forward in the first round, with Jack McBain, Aidan Dudas or Connor Roberts being the pick. However I wouldn't completely sleep on Tyler Weiss despite his NCAA commitment. If the go defense look Owen Lalonde followed by Declan Chisholm (Bowmanville kid) or Giovanni Valati.

There have been some pretty legit people who follow the OHL that have been talking about them signing with the USNTDP

And obviously I meant if Roger Hunt talked to the Jenkins camp and thought he would come in a year or two, not just picking him blindly (that doesnt workout too well i.e. the Petes). I was more just saying hypothetically taking someone who you knew wouldnt come right away, would you guys think that would be something you could get behind or no, Jenkins was just an example because he's the one that is most recently linked to the states

Mayday3*

Last night might've been their only chance to win a game this series. Jeremy Helvig tried as hard as he could to make sure it wasn't a sweep..... Like I expected (as we talked about before) Helvig cannot be trusted

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
To me Kingston's biggest threats are Barrie and North Bay

Peressini played all 4 against Barrie and 3/4 against North Bay this year.

So against the 2 legit teams in the East (other than Kingston), Helvig started 1 out of the 8 games

Actually Peterborough is likely Kingston's biggest threat. Peterborough was 5-2-0-1 against them this past season. They could be there opponent in the 2nd round, as the Petes are currently leading in their series against North Bay 2 games to 1.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Last night might've been their only chance to win a game this series. Jeremy Helvig tried as hard as he could to make sure it wasn't a sweep..... Like I expected (as we talked about before) Helvig cannot be trusted

I think he's lost one game since Christmas time, you really can't trust that guy!

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Helvig faltered last night. He was fighting the puck in warm up, fought the puck right from the first shot. Looked uncomfortable on the road.

With that being said he was the hot goalie going into the playoffs and looked good in Games 1 & 2 and was full deserving of starting Game 3. Peressini wasn't exactly lights out when he came in, but credit to him as he saved the game for Frontenacs. This is the beauty of a team with two talented goaltenders, if one guy struggles you can go to option two.

Mayday3*

The Kingston coach thinks he is the one to play. He dose not listen to you Gen fans. He is right. Three wins so far.

It's 1 vs 8...
A team who went all in and a team who gave up everything to get picks...

He could've put himself in net and they'd be up 3-0

Mayday3*

Actually Peterborough is likely Kingston's biggest threat. Peterborough was 5-2-0-1 against them this past season. They could be there opponent in the 2nd round, as the Petes are currently leading in their series against North Bay 2 games to 1.

I personally don't trust Peterborough at all because 1) I'm a Gens fan so I can't and 2) they play absolutely no defence and defence wins championships. I wouldnt be overly surprised to see PBO knock off NB because NB isn't deep at all this year, but PBO beating Kingston would shock me

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think we are forgetting Mississauga has a 2-1 series lead over Barrie and game 4 is at home, could have the Colts on the ropes.

Mississauga underachieved during the regular season, that club is not a true seventh seed. The split up the top line a bit and have given themselves three lines of excellent depth. Emerson Clark's line has neutralized Kevin Labanc and Julius Nattinen. While the McLeod-Bastian-Burnside line has gone head to head against Mangiapane's line which. The difference has been the team creating a third quality line in splitting up the big three. Mississauga's defense is underrated. Nic Hague has been unreal, Sean Day despite all the negativity surrounding him has stepped up. Austin Osmanski is vastly underrated and then you have key guys like Walsh and LeBlanc. Throw in a on the ball Jack Flinn and Kingston could see Mississauga next.. a team that has played Kingston well.

I think the Petes have the ability to knock off the Battalion, strong goaltending, depth and their offense is going. But the team has been very inconsistent. The Battalion have strong goaltending, great coaching and an excellent defense core/defensive scheme. Despite a 2-1 series lead for the Petes going into game 4 at home I can't sway one way.

I honestly believe the next round will likely be Kingston vs Mississauga and Ottawa vs North Bay. Now it would not shock me to see Barrie, Niagara and Peterborough win. I know the OHL well enough that a one game lead literally means nothing but having watched 2 of the 3 Missy games live thats one upset I can definitely see.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
we talked about this before, all those were against the worst teams except 2 games

In fact after Christmas he didn't even have a game where he gave up more then 3 goals. And only lost 1 game after October.
Personally, I wouldn't have had a problem with either goalie getting the playoff starts, I think they're both great goalies and both give the team a chance to win. I was surprised that helvig got the game 1 start, but at the same time I do think based on performance for most of this season he probably deserved the start.
Really it's quite tough to say that he somehow gives them less of a chance to win, you could say that peressini has more experience, but he is lacking in playoff games played.
I would think peressini gets the next start and they'll see if he can roll with it. Which ever guy is hot will likely get the bulk of the starts, if you have 2 good goalies why force yourself to only stick with 1?

Mayday3*

I think we are forgetting Mississauga has a 2-1 series lead over Barrie and game 4 is at home, could have the Colts on the ropes.

Mississauga underachieved during the regular season, that club is not a true seventh seed. The split up the top line a bit and have given themselves three lines of excellent depth. Emerson Clark's line has neutralized Kevin Labanc and Julius Nattinen. While the McLeod-Bastian-Burnside line has gone head to head against Mangiapane's line which. The difference has been the team creating a third quality line in splitting up the big three. Mississauga's defense is underrated. Nic Hague has been unreal, Sean Day despite all the negativity surrounding him has stepped up. Austin Osmanski is vastly underrated and then you have key guys like Walsh and LeBlanc. Throw in a on the ball Jack Flinn and Kingston could see Mississauga next.. a team that has played Kingston well.

I think the Petes have the ability to knock off the Battalion, strong goaltending, depth and their offense is going. But the team has been very inconsistent. The Battalion have strong goaltending, great coaching and an excellent defense core/defensive scheme. Despite a 2-1 series lead for the Petes going into game 4 at home I can't sway one way.

I honestly believe the next round will likely be Kingston vs Mississauga and Ottawa vs North Bay. Now it would not shock me to see Barrie, Niagara and Peterborough win. I know the OHL well enough that a one game lead literally means nothing but having watched 2 of the 3 Missy games live thats one upset I can definitely see.

Especially if Blackwood really is hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad