Oshawa Generals 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Camp opens up tomorrow, with the scrimmages beginning Wednesday morning. Training camp roster was released as well.

Team White
1- Logan Gauthier (G)
33- Jeremy Brodeur (G)
3- Tyler Dam (D)
5- Jalen Smereck (D)
17- Colton Culbert (D)
19- Connor Matton (D)
32- Josh Chiarot (D)
36- Ben Kerry (D)
38- Ben Sellars (D)
40- Greg Allen (D)
7- Nate Mueller (F)
8- Zac Treen (F)
10- Cameron Robinson (F)
11- Ethan Nother (F)
12- Domenic Commisso (F)
13- Michael Kelaiditis (F)
14- Brock Welsh (F)
15- Kyle McLean (F)
22- Anthony Cirelli (F)
29- Joe Manchurek (F)
34- Hunter Smith (F)
71- Michael Dal Colle (F)

Team Red
1- Eric Jackson (G)
31- Liam Devine (G)
3- Jaimen Allison (D)
4- Dan Harris (D)
5- Matthieu Franche (D)
16- Riley Stillman (D)
21- Misha Moor (D)
28- Anthony Kotsovos (D)
32- Austin Jeffers (D)
37- Stephen Desrocher (D)
41- David D'Agostino (D)
10- Matt Latin (F)
11- Owen McDade (F)
18- Michael McArthur (F)
19- Eric Faith (F)
20- Matt Mistele (F)
22- Adam Kozlowsk (F)i
23- Jack Studnicka (F)
24- Cameron Harris (F)
25- Kenny Huether (F)
27- Zachary Senecal (F)
34- Shelby Rienstra (F)

Team Blue
1- Barrett Mundell (G)
35- Ken Appleby (G)
3- Matt Stoia (D)
4- Jacob Graves (D)
5- Reilly Smith (D)
6- Keegan Ferguson (D)
24- Stephen Templeton (D)
26- Daniel Robertson (D)
42- Dawson Shackelton (D)
43- Dakotah Woods (D)
58- Mitchell Vande Sompel (D)
7- Sullivan Sparkes (F)
8- Jeff Jordan (F)
10- Gage Stephney (F)
11- Noah Matteson (F)
12 Brandon Yeamans (F)
14- Matthew Ray (F)
18- Michael Turner (F)
20- Dan Hardie (F)
21 Jason Pineo (F)
27- Lukas Lofquist (F)
89- Sam Harding (F)

Some things to note, no Pedersen and wow I completely forgot about Owen McDade. Just assumed after last season he was probably done with the team.

http://www.oshawagenerals.com/article/training-camp-roster

Last edited:

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Hunter Smith was added to team white. I don't expect him to be playing in the OHL this year, but it cant hurt to have a vet like him hanging around at camp.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Hunter did sign a contract in the summer so I'm sure he won't be back, more than likely just getting some ice time. But would love to have him back.:)

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Earlier scrimmage saw Team Red beat Team White 4-3. 2 goals for Studnicka and Huether, Commisso and Manchurek got 2 goals for Team White. Don't know who got the 3rd goal for them though. Wasn't able to take in this game, but ill be heading down for the game at 5, between Blue and White

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Earlier scrimmage saw Team Red beat Team White 4-3. 2 goals for Studnicka and Huether, Commisso and Manchurek got 2 goals for Team White. Don't know who got the 3rd goal for them though. Wasn't able to take in this game, but ill be heading down for the game at 5, between Blue and White

Studnicka looked good. Nice pick for a late round. Commisso and Stillman impressed. I think MacLean will fit the OHL.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Geeze the Gens twitter/website are dropping the ball with updates from this afternoons game.

Team Blue beat Team White 7-3. Lofquist was one of the biggest standouts for me. Always noticed him out there, had some really nifty goals for Blue, Brodeur and Gauthier just couldn't stop the guy. Was really impressed at how Cirelli and Templeton looked to have gotten even better. Templeton had some nice simple defensive plays and Cirelli was just flying all over the ice. I was also impressed with Michael Kelaiditis. He didn't do anything flashy, but he was very hard on the forecheck, finishing all his checks.

Oh and I dont know what got into Harding, but he absolutely decked Tyler Dam towards the end of the game. Got a pat on the head from Appleby and chuckle from Hunter Smith, who was sitting in the crowd.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Since the Coverage is lacking I was there today scouting and I'll leave my impressions,

Anthony Cirelli - Cirelli looked a cut above, very confident in possession, showing more patience in possession. Took the puck into high traffic areas, continued to display strong positional play. He looks like he's added some weight to his frame, and the offensive side of his game was noticeably better.

Joe Manchurerk - While Manchurek didn't exactly light the scrimmage on fire, you can see him continue to develop. I thought his skating more precisely his stride has improved, he looked quicker, and was another player who looked more confident in possession.

Kenny Huether - Huether's speed stood out, he looks stronger, he was heavier on the puck, won puck battles and improved his positional play. I really believe he can be a nice piece in a third line checking role.

And of the returnees that I don't need to speak of because we expect them to be good. Appleby impressed, as did Desrocher and Mistele.

Of the draft picks the last few seasons,
Kyle McLean displayed quick hands, strong puck control and a quick release. He was tenacious on the forecheck and read the play extremely well displaying his high hockey IQ and overall on ice awareness. He drove the net with authority and showed a willingness to play in high traffic areas.

Dom Commisso, I came away impressed with Commisso's offensive game. He excelled in possession and he continually was making or trying to make things happen. He showed his quick hands and offensive creativity. Very patient in possession, he didn't rush or force anything, and showed his quick release. Commisso struggles some in his own zone which will be exposed at the OHL level if not corrected.

Dawson Shackelton, Shackelton quietly had an effective day and for a player that plays his style that's a ringing endorsement. Shackelton kept his game simple, made crisp outlet passes, spaced the ice well, showed good gap control. Player with in his skill set and showed his deceptively strong skating ability.

Jason Pineo, Pineo impressed me more than anyone today, and that half has to do with expecting Lofquist and other returnees to excel, but the other half was all him. Pineo reminds me a lot of Anthony Cirelli, extremely strong skater, high hockey IQ and excellent compete level. The difference is Pineo comes in much more physically developed then Cirelli did last year and his offensive skill set is further along than Cirelli's was last season. Creative offensively, tenacious on the forecheck, forced turnovers, strong positionally, great vision... If he doesn't make the team I'll be shocked.

Of the free agent invites I thought Ethan Nother was the biggest stand out of the bunch. While he lacks size and strength his offensive ability is undeniable. A player that played Midget AAA last season Nother wanted the puck on his stick every time he was on the ice showing a confidence most rookies dont have. Not only did he want the puck, he excelled with it, showing impressive playmaking ability and vision. Elusive in possession Nother uses his explosive first stride and impressive speed to elude bigger opponents.

I can't comment on every player but a couple other players that weren't on my radar that did somethings well in my eyes where, defensemen Ben Sellars and Jaimen Allison. Forwards Dan Hardie,Brandon Yeamans and Cameron Robinson.

Kelaiditis is a player I've watched since minor midget, and he's always done things I like, and want him to be good so badly but he just isn't at the OHL level. His foot speed is a big downfall as he lacks explosiveness and straight line speed. While he's effective positionally and on the forecheck and even works the boards well.. his puck skills are below average and his offensive creativity is minimal.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If I'm picking the team after Day 1,

Dal Colle - Cirelli - Mistele
Lofquist - Harding - Studnicka
Huether - Commisso - Manchurek
MacLean - Pineo - McDade
Sparkes, Nother, Hardie

Vande Sompel - Graves
Desrocher - Stillman
Kotsovos - Templeton
Moor - Robertson
*Shackleton, Smereck

*On side note I was not impressed by Moor or Smereck and they are guys who have signed already. I'd easily take Kotsovos and Shackleton over those to.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
If I'm picking the team after Day 1,

Dal Colle - Cirelli - Mistele
Lofquist - Harding - Studnicka
Huether - Commisso - Manchurek
MacLean - Pineo - McDade
Sparkes, Nother, Hardie

Vande Sompel - Graves
Desrocher - Stillman
Kotsovos - Templeton
Moor - Robertson
*Shackleton, Smereck

*On side note I was not impressed by Moor or Smereck and they are guys who have signed already. I'd easily take Kotsovos and Shackleton over those to.

I haven't seen Moor play yet, but I agree on Smereck. Wasn't really impressed yesterday. Seemed kinda slow, also looked like he was to go to shot from the point for Team White's PP, but he never really generated anything effective.

Team Blue beat Team Red 3-2 at today's morning scrimmage. Michael McArthur and Kenny Huether scored for Red, while Graves, Robertson, and Templeton scored for Blue.

Haven't been able to take in a scrimmage with Huether playing, but it sounds like hes improved a ton. He quietly put up 11 goals last season, playing 4th line with Wallace and Manchurek. I can't wait to see what he has in store for this season

mooseiamcdn

Aug 21, 2008
Whitby, ON
ourhometowngennies.ca
Jeremy Brodeur?

Morning all,

I was at the Gens annual red and white game yesterday at lunchtime.
One notable player from last year not dressed was Brodeur. Does anyone know if he has left the team or why did he not play?
The pre-season coverage has been lacking thus far, so it's hard to know 'generally' what's been going on from day-to-day in Gens land.

I am off to Peterborugh on Labour Day to check out the team's second pre-season game.

Cheers everyone!

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Morning all,

I was at the Gens annual red and white game yesterday at lunchtime.
One notable player from last year not dressed was Brodeur. Does anyone know if he has left the team or why did he not play?
The pre-season coverage has been lacking thus far, so it's hard to know 'generally' what's been going on from day-to-day in Gens land.

I am off to Peterborugh on Labour Day to check out the team's second pre-season game.

Cheers everyone!

I had the same ? but ask Gen's staff Jason and he said he just had the day off, as the team were looking @ the rookie goalies before they have to be sent back.

mooseiamcdn

Aug 21, 2008
Whitby, ON
ourhometowngennies.ca
I had the same ? but ask Gen's staff Jason and he said he just had the day off, as the team were looking @ the rookie goalies before they have to be sent back.

Thanks Naz,

I agree, the local rag and even the Oshawa Generals' site is slow at updating its fans on what's going on during training camp.
It almost makes me want to return to blog writing about "OurHometown Gennies". :)
Not enough hrs in the day when raising a young family I guess.

I can update you here post-Monday's game in PBO of what I observe...

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
ColtsLeafs123, This may sound far fetched, but after seeing the Gens through camp, I wouldn't assume that they'll be moving Dal Colle despite the need for picks. The Generals have retooled their roster pretty well, younger guys have stepped up, Studnicka looks great, and they return arguably the leagues top goaltender. With the Petes lacking offensive depth, Kingston retooling, Hamilton a year away from making a true run, and Ottawa, I think the Generals will be a threat to win the East Division this season.

Tuckerfan, Latin is an Oshawa Minor Midget and Midget AAA product from what I was told. I haven't been able to find much by way of his production from last season however.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Preseason roster is on the Gens website now. No real surprises in terms of big names being cut. Some invites that passed the recent cuts were Matt Latin, Matthew Ray, Greg Allen, Dakotah Woods, and Logan Gauthier

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
t
TuckerFan1: Brodeur is not listed on the roster. What do you make of that?

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
t
TuckerFan1: Brodeur is not listed on the roster. What do you make of that?

Could be a mistake. He was at the rink yesterday signing autographs for the kids, and hanging out in the tunnel watching the scrimmage. I would think Appleby would have been the name left off, since he's leaving for the Devils rookie camp next week

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
ColtsLeafs123, This may sound far fetched, but after seeing the Gens through camp, I wouldn't assume that they'll be moving Dal Colle despite the need for picks. The Generals have retooled their roster pretty well, younger guys have stepped up, Studnicka looks great, and they return arguably the leagues top goaltender. With the Petes lacking offensive depth, Kingston retooling, Hamilton a year away from making a true run, and Ottawa, I think the Generals will be a threat to win the East Division this season.

Tuckerfan, Latin is an Oshawa Minor Midget and Midget AAA product from what I was told. I haven't been able to find much by way of his production from last season however.

The gens for sure will be a top 7 team in the east but imo, i believe it would be smart to trade Dal Colle teams with be throwing the whole farm and some for Dal Colle with his experience, skill and winning pedigree, a great kid too. I think that they should cash in. With all that in mind what are you're thoughts on this gens fans?

darmitage

May 13, 2012
The gens for sure will be a top 7 team in the east but imo, i believe it would be smart to trade Dal Colle teams with be throwing the whole farm and some for Dal Colle with his experience, skill and winning pedigree, a great kid too. I think that they should cash in. With all that in mind what are you're thoughts on this gens fans?

depends on how many players we let go if we are 7th in the East we actually have a good squad if no trades but the down slide would be sitting in last place for 10 years with no draft picks so my opinion is wait till January to get into a playoff spot before trading returning players but we have to keep some of our players from last year too to help the rookies

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

I guess it would depend on if guys like Cirelli, Huether, and Harding move onto that next step and become constant contributors this season. I think after the trade deadline, a lot of the real contenders are going to separate themselves from teams like the Gens, who don't have the goods make any big splashes. Last thing I would want is for the Gens to get rid of Dal Colle and then watch as we pull a Frontenac Special and get ousted quickly in round 1. Dal Colle wasnt the big difference maker in last years run, but he makes this years team a lot more competitive.

It's a tough situation. We have kids like Studnicka, Sparkes, and McLean who will be here for a while. Don't want to waste their years by not providing them with a supporting cast. Going to be something to keep an eye on for the first half of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce