GDT: Oscars

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm not disappointed Argo won because of the lack of credit they gave Canada, I'm disappointed it won because it's not that great of a movie. It was good but nothing special imo and the runway chase scene at the end was flat out laughable. 'Django Unchained' is a much better movie as is 'The Master'. I'm happy for Ben Affleck though, I've always thought he seems like a good guy and he's really turned his career around the last 5 years.

blurbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Somerville, MA
Visit site
I'm not disappointed Argo won because of the lack of credit they gave Canada, I'm disappointed it won because it's not that great of a movie. It was good but nothing special imo and the runway chase scene at the end was flat out laughable. 'Django Unchained' is a much better movie as is 'The Master'. I'm happy for Ben Affleck though, I've always thought he seems like a good guy and he's really turned his career around the last 5 years.

This is exactly how I felt. I will preface by saying I only saw Argo of all the nominated movies, but I thought while entertaining, it was nothing special... and the chase scene actually annoyed me, it just seemed like the need to add an action scene.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
This is exactly how I felt. I will preface by saying I only saw Argo of all the nominated movies, but I thought while entertaining, it was nothing special... and the chase scene actually annoyed me, it just seemed like the need to add an action scene.

That's exactly what it was, especially if you've read the book. I enjoyed the movie, but the book was fascinating if you're into the cloak and dagger type stuff. No way they'd be able to portray that all in a high profile studio film though.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

I feel the same way. It is a good movie, maybe even a really good movie, but far from a great movie. To your point, a lot of the drama in the film was very contrived. It had some fun, edge of your seat moments, but the movie didn't really connect for me on any other level besides that. The screenplay was well written, the performances were good, but not great, and ultimately it's not a movie that stays with you after you are done watching it. I didn't see all the movies, but I did see several, and I would put Lincoln, Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Django ahead of it. I would even go as far to say that I liked "Searching For Sugarman," the best Doc winner, ahead of it (by the way, all of the docs were really good). I am happy for Affleck, and I did like the movie, I just don't think it should have won best picture, and I don't think it will stand up fifty years from now.

blurbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Somerville, MA
Visit site
That's exactly what it was, especially if you've read the book. I enjoyed the movie, but the book was fascinating if you're into the cloak and dagger type stuff. No way they'd be able to portray that all in a high profile studio film though.

One movie I really liked (never read the book) where there was tons of suspense but no need to fabricate action/explosion scenes was Tinker Tailor Solider Spy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad