Player Discussion Oscar Lindberg

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
No I would say he's living up to expectations. He had a hot start, but he's been as good as advertised. He plays responsible defense, he can win face offs and kill penaltys. It should be noted that he wasn't expected to contribute a ton of offense. He's always been known as a defensive guy. If he hits 30-35 points I'd be ecstatic.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
1 Goal in his last 23 games. That's almost half of what has currently been played....consecutively.

I see him out there forechecking hard, digging in corners, making decent passes, and getting high quality chances...but he just can't bury.

Often, he seems to shoot too quickly and not take that extra millisecond to aim more accurately. I think that may be a problem over the last 2 months. Firing away too quickly when he has an awesome scoring chance. It's like he goes into fight or flight and just fires away mindlessly. A little like Staalberg...

But for some reason, I'm not upset with him, lol. A few times when he got off quality shots he was straight out robbed. Should I be more upset with Lindberg than I am? :dunno:

Offense was never supposed to be his strong suit at the NHL level. Before he got off to a hot start, I think my comparison was that he was in the mold of a Dom Moore.

So his proper offensive level is somewhere between his start to the season, and the last 8 weeks.

But he doesn't look lost out there either, and he is still a rookie, so I think there's some slack to be given.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Offense was never supposed to be his strong suit at the NHL level. Before he got off to a hot start, I think my comparison was that he was in the mold of a Dom Moore.

So his proper offensive level is somewhere between his start to the season, and the last 8 weeks.

But he doesn't look lost out there either, and he is still a rookie, so I think there's some slack to be given.

This, he was never brought into the lineup to be an offensive player. He can chip in as we've seen but he's not a goal scorer by any means imo. He's good in the dot and is a very responsible defensive player, perfect bottom 6er who as we have seen can pot some goals here and there.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think he needs to work on not taking so many bad penalties as well

He took a lot of minors last year in the A, but I really think it's because of his tenacity rather than just being stupid, he's a smart player and he plays with an edge something I think people were not expecting from him but he's a hard player to play against because he's a little chippy, I like that about him. Im thinking a Sarge Nemchinov upside here.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
He took a lot of minors last year in the A, but I really think it's because of his tenacity rather than just being stupid, he's a smart player and he plays with an edge something I think people were not expecting from him but he's a hard player to play against because he's a little chippy, I like that about him. Im thinking a Sarge Nemchinov upside here.

To me he plays a very heavy game. While he is not throwing thunderous hits, he makes hard plays against the puck carrier. I think his strength is very underrated and was evident in his tussle with Read the other day.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
To me he plays a very heavy game. While he is not throwing thunderous hits, he makes hard plays against the puck carrier. I think his strength is very underrated and was evident in his tussle with Read the other day.

And he's going to get stronger, he's still young.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think he needs to pick up his scoring a bit...I'm not going to expect him to score 20 goals per season or something but being a bit more of an offensive threat would go a long ways.

But...rookie fatigue, etc.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
He started off good offensively when the Lines were pretty much intact, injuries developed and I'm sure he's played with every single forward since then.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

I think av has stripped away his confidence and it may take awhile for him to get it back. He has been flipped around in the lineup to accommodate Hayes and others so I think he'll pick it up a bit as time goes on.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
interesting read. i wonder how/if it will effect him.

Here's hoping the NYR medical staff/resources are looking at every solution and course of treatment.

The surgeries done to Forsberg's foot/ankles was just short of barbaric and really want any issue w/ Lindberg treated right the first time.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Was just going over some of Lindberg's stats, and am very hopeful for a solid season once he returns from hip surgery. I realize his stats are front-loaded (big early season production)...but there was so little production later in the season (due to hips?) that I think it averages out to a decent representation of what Lindberg can do.

Examples: (This is for NYR Forwards @ 5v5 with at least 500 TOI. 12 Forwards met this criteria)

Lindberg had the 7th best CF%, which put him in the middle of the pack. Better than Brassard and Nash...and pretty much tied with Zuuc.

Lindberg was in 6th place for Goals per 60 min played...significantly better than Nash and Hayes.

Lindberg tied for 4th on the team with Zuuc in Assists per 60 minutes played. Only Hayes, Nash, and Stepan performed better in A60. Not bad Company.

Of Lindberg's 13 5v5 Assists, 9 were primary. Very nice.

Now I understand that Lindberg will likely be a 4th Line Center at best next year...but with the right wingers...our 4th line should be much more productive than it was last year. Lindberg needs to work on his faceoffs a bit, but was still over 48% in that category last year...which is better than Stepan and a hair under where Brassard finished.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
A year ago this time, everyone expected Lindberg to be a career 4C for the Rangers. Then he went hot to start the season and expectations got built up that he could be a top 6 center. That was never gonna happen in real life. Let him be a good 4C who can step in as a 3C when someone gets injured.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
A year ago this time, everyone expected Lindberg to be a career 4C for the Rangers. Then he went hot to start the season and expectations got built up that he could be a top 6 center. That was never gonna happen in real life. Let him be a good 4C who can step in as a 3C when someone gets injured.

his status was elevated from 4c to a potential 3c. i don't know anyone that had him penciled into the top 2 lines

darko

Feb 16, 2009
his status was elevated from 4c to a potential 3c. i don't know anyone that had him penciled into the top 2 lines

Yeah the talk was that he could be a good 3rd liner. I still believe he'll be a good 3rd liner for us.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
One of the only disappointments I felt about his year last year was that he struggled in the faceoff dot, which was supposed to be a strength. That should come though, and otherwise I thought he played a smart, responsible, physical game.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Bluenote13 is the poster that believes Lindberg has 2nd line center capabilities. BN has been his biggest booster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad