Player Discussion Oscar Lindberg

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Check this out:

http://therangerzone.com/2015/12/05...tunity-for-lindberg/?winst=1449341182797&of=0

Excerpt:

After a disappointing performance against the Avalanche, mustering just 25 shots on goal, Alain Vigneault switched up the lines to try and make a spark for a team that has won just one of their last six games.

Here were the lines from practice;

Chris Kreider-Oscar Lindberg-Rick Nash :amazed:

Kevin Hayes-Derick Brassard-Mats Zuccarello

JT Miller-Dominic Moore-Jesper Fast

Tanner Glass-Jarret Stoll-Viktor Stalberg

Spare: Etem

I'd love to see Hayes and Lindberg flipped. I get the feeling Oscar would greatly benefit from Zucc's playmaking. He seems like the kind of player who would "know" where Zucc wanted him to be for the pass.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
60 pts is a #1 C these days

Last season it would been about 25-30 of centers in PPG, and I think that was a down year for scoring in the NHL. I think point production will be a little better this season, so its probably very good 2C point production. Its 30-35 this season, if we look at PPG for centers this season.

Either way, I'm wondering whether Lindberg can be a 2C. I don't think he'll be putting up a PPG, but can he be between .70-.75 PPG? I think he might be able to do that, and his defense is already very good.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'd love to see Hayes and Lindberg flipped. I get the feeling Oscar would greatly benefit from Zucc's playmaking. He seems like the kind of player who would "know" where Zucc wanted him to be for the pass.

I agree. Lindberg seems to have a knack of being the right place at the right time to get a goal. Zucc is a wizard with passing. Should be easy to put them together.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

I wouldn't have a problem with that, either. It would seem more the right thing to do.

Having Lindberg Center a guy like Nash should be extremely interesting to watch, though. The Veteran Superstar flanking the surprising Rookie.

I'm confident that given enough time, Linberg would be able to feed physically strong guys like this if they can establish themselves in front of the net. We know the nose Lindberg has and how well he thinks in regards to areas in close proximity to the crease. I think this could turn out very cool.

In addition, we get to see Nash on his off-wing with a better angle at the net. Don't expect him to be OV in that regard, but maybe some more-threatening wristers on net.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
line works in my mind bc having Nash on the other wing frees up Kreider in the neutral zone some, he can lead the charge down the ice, win puck battles, fill a puck retriever role, and then head to the net. Meanwhile, Nash spends the bulk of the time with the puck in the O-zone, which is how he generates chances, rather than off of quick touches or one-timers. Lindberg is your classic do a lot with a little type scorer. Will find soft spots in coverage, make you pay. I think it'll go well

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I forgot when exactly I posted this, but I said that Lindberg had the raw tools/talent of a third liner, but the mind of a top-six player. I still stand by that. He is always in the right place at the right time. He's solid defensively, going to be a mainstay on the penalty kill. He's going to be very valuable to us. He has a great hockey IQ, and always seems to make good plays/passes, kind of like what Zucc brings.

Not sure if I'm totally in love with those combinations, but he deserves to play next to Kreider and Nash. I would like to see:

Miller/Lindberg-Brassard-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Zucc
Lindberg/Miller-Hayes-Stalberg
Stoll-Moore-Fast

Once Stepan is back in the fold, obviously.

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
didn't know as of tonight, he's tied for 2nd among all NHL rookies for goals with 10. Good job to him for sure.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I thought he was quietly effective this evening. Compliments Nash well because Nash is really good at carrying into the zone, and Lindberg is really good at getting in position to shoot, so he gives Nash an option to pass to or just toss one towards the net for a rebound.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who would you guys give as an eventual comparable to a developed Lindberg? What role do you see him playing in the future, and what is his point potentially? Is he playing as well still as when he broke in this season?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
1 point the entire month of December.

Considering his hot start and the fact that the rest of the team has been total dookie through December, I am willing to overlook that.

The thing lately that bothers me most is the penalties. He seems to be finding himself in the box more often than is preferred. Part of that may be the frustration from the rest of his game lacking what it did prior.

He's still been better than Kevin Hayes the goof.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Who would you guys give as an eventual comparable to a developed Lindberg? What role do you see him playing in the future, and what is his point potentially? Is he playing as well still as when he broke in this season?

Too soon to say. He broke out majorly to start the season, and now people have raised their expectations to perhaps an unrealistic level. He's a rookie battling consistency issues, and I said earlier in the season that the real test is seeing how he responds to adversity. He's battling through that right now.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a comparable would be Jochen Hecht in terms of upside. A responsible, versatile middle-six forward who can play PP, PK and ES at any position up front and contribute 40-50ish points each year while bringing a decent physical presence. Though Hecht definitely had a couple shortened seasons where he produced a better PPG than on average.

Pretty damn good value in exchange for a guy who will never play an NHL game.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Too soon to say. He broke out majorly to start the season, and now people have raised their expectations to perhaps an unrealistic level. He's a rookie battling consistency issues, and I said earlier in the season that the real test is seeing how he responds to adversity. He's battling through that right now.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a comparable would be Jochen Hecht in terms of upside. A responsible, versatile middle-six forward who can play PP, PK and ES at any position up front and contribute 40-50ish points each year while bringing a decent physical presence. Though Hecht definitely had a couple shortened seasons where he produced a better PPG than on average.

Pretty damn good value in exchange for a guy who will never play an NHL game.

The offensive outbreak caught me by surprise, and as you stated, almost certainly raised expectations to an unfair level. That's one of the reasons I tend to be a bit more conservative when it coems to young forwards.

He's going to be a very good, long-time NHL player, but I don't think it was ever fair to expect him to continue to produce the way he did earlier in the season.

Similarly, I tend to see his best production to be in the 15 goal, 40-45 point range.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
1 Goal in his last 23 games. That's almost half of what has currently been played....consecutively.

I see him out there forechecking hard, digging in corners, making decent passes, and getting high quality chances...but he just can't bury.

Often, he seems to shoot too quickly and not take that extra millisecond to aim more accurately. I think that may be a problem over the last 2 months. Firing away too quickly when he has an awesome scoring chance. It's like he goes into fight or flight and just fires away mindlessly. A little like Staalberg...

But for some reason, I'm not upset with him, lol. A few times when he got off quality shots he was straight out robbed. Should I be more upset with Lindberg than I am? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad