Player Discussion Oscar Lindberg

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Movement not so good...looks a bit crippled. But I suppose that's what to expect when he is still over 2 months away. Good to see him on the ice.

That's why Jooris is in the mix.

They're both very very good 4th line centermen. Lindberg has a ceiling of a low-end 3C in my opinion

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
too bad rehab will take a while,
was thinking of him this week,
with Giancarlo Stanton, Greg Bird, Bryan Mitchell all rejoining their teams

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Almost no accent. English sounds really good.

People from Scandinavia and Finland are known for their easy transition to other cultures and languages. A lot of Swedish football players who come over to play in the Netherlands need 1 year to get used to the Dutch language.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
People from Scandinavia and Finland are known for their easy transition to other cultures and languages. A lot of Swedish football players who come over to play in the Netherlands need 1 year to get used to the Dutch language.

The Swedish education system has always been serious about English as a second language from what I hear. They start teaching English in school early, so guys like Lindberg already have an edge over others.

Found this article from a few years back: http://www.thelocal.se/20131107/swedes-ranked-again-best-world-english

So why are Swedes so good at English?

"There are several reasons," explained Ejsing. "We learn early in school, there are TV and radio shows in English, even commercials... but even outside of school English is considered to be a high status language, kids think it's cool. And it helps that English is also Germanic-based."

I see the Dutch are pretty darn good at English, too. I remember when I was younger I used to play online games with Dutch guys, and their English was outstanding.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Swedish education system has always been serious about English as a second language from what I hear. They start teaching English in school early, so guys like Lindberg already have an edge over others.

Found this article from a few years back: http://www.thelocal.se/20131107/swedes-ranked-again-best-world-english

I see the Dutch are pretty darn good at English, too. I remember when I was younger I used to play online games with Dutch guys, and their English was outstanding.

Yeah. But to be fair, there is a clear distinction between 2 groups of young adults and kids.

The one group are the ones who, form a very young age, listen to English when watching movies and tv-shows with subtitles, and are taught English in school. That starts at age 5.

The other group are the kids with a lower education who don't put in the effort and watch dubbed movies and tv-shows.

Dutch, like Swedish, Norwegian, Danish etc is a language which is not really helpful the moment you cross the border. This is not the same in countries like France, Spain, Portugal etc. Those languages are quite common.

I also speak Afrikaans, after living in South Africa for a few years, and it's really helpful to know different languages, because it makes you more aware of the little nuances in for instance the English language.

Their/They're/There
Straight/Strait
Too/Two/To
Though, Tough, Through, Thorough

We don't want to mess those up :laugh:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

I grew up in the US, moved to Sweden at 16, and have moved back & forth Europe/NA (add asia too) throughout my life living in 10 countries in total so far. IMO the reason Swedes speak as good English as they do (in the young/middle aged generations at least) has its roots in 4 things:

1) The education system starts early with English. Most Swedes have some level of education meaning they speak/hear English a lot through their upbringing. An incentive is often to go out and work abroad later in life.

2) TV & media do not (unlike most larger European countries where English is dubbed) dub English speaking programs and movies. They are instead texted - basically giving the viewers constant & free English lessons. Sweden is also heavily Americanized culturally (although not politically on the surface at least)

3) Swedes travel a lot and also work abroad a lot. Guess what - being an avid passport user means you need to communicate with people when abroad!?! English being the main choice of preference and need...

4) Swedish girls like new things and therefore like foreign men. So to keep up, Swedish guys need to speak good English to compete and feel adequete on the meat market ;)

Peace

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Also mentioned in all the information coming out of camp is that Lindberg has been skating for two weeks now.

Yep, I remember the practice skating vid from a couple weeks back. He didn't look nearly as mobile as he should be, but that's to be expected. Gliding around on your own is much different from skating hard with the best in the world. That said, early November is not that far away, and I'm sure he'll be ready by then. Looking forward to his return.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
5 games does not a season make...

On a team where nearly every player has been largely discussed, Oscar Lindberg has been all but forgotten. 5 games in, 10 mis of icetime per night...and an empty stat sheet.

With the recent injuries to #20 and #89, Oscar might be safe for the now. Upon their return, safe to say Oscar is playing himself off this roster.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lindberg will likely be part of whatever trade package we make for a defenseman. Or...just traded.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Oscar's skating looks a lot worse than pre-surgery and he already wasn't a great skater.

Concerning.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
*Whispers* Fast has more value than Lindberg right now so he should be the one traded. Putting bias aside, the two are pretty similar but Oscar has more offensive upside and can play center.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not sure why anyone worried about Lindberg. He's good depth , was hurt and needs some time . Cheap spare

If another team sees value he could go in a deal for a D but he's also a better defensive C than Pirri

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
ok Oscar, you have been eased in following rehab,
but team needs to be good enough for more minutes now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad