Recalled/Assigned: Oscar Klefbom Recalled From The OKC Barons 11/26/14

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd change it a little bit. And yes, Klefbom is a LD. He has enough talent that I think he'll be able to play both sides in a few years, but for now he should play on the left side. But I would go with:

1st pair:
Marincin - Petry -- Marincin really carried Petry in the NJ game. With Marincin on the ice, only 2 attempted shots against were allowed compared to 30 Oiler shots FOR. (Petry was 28 for, 5 against. It's very clear who carried whom). Pretty amazing stat. This is why we hold on to Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse for dear life. If anyone asks for one of these three as a throw in on a trade in the trade board, you tell them where to go. Those 3 are our future and only hope.

2nd pair:
Klefbom - Fayne -- Fayne has had a very quietly solid year, and is just the type of vet that would help Klefbom's game in the NHL. I still think Klefbom should play out the season in OKC, but if he is played, I hope it's with Fayne. I think they'll be a good shut-down pair and complement each other well.

3rd pair:
Ference - Schutlz -- Ference has actually had a pretty solid season defensively speaking. Not too many major gaffes or mistakes. He could help cover for Schultz, and Schultz really should be sheltered on the bottom pairing until he can develop his defensive game further. This should've happened from the start, instead of treating him like a #1/2 guy straight out of college. And people wonder why his game isn't well rounded. They completely ****ed his development. You don't develop a defenseman coming straight out of college by playing him against the top opposition and playing 22 minutes a night. He actually averaged over 23 minutes a game last season; his first full season in ANY pro league! Utter and complete insanity by the management and coaching staff. And again, people wonder why he has holes in his game. It's not hard to see why when you look. But I digress.

I'd actually prefer we send both Marincin and Klefbom down to OKC to stay for the season, and play them monster minutes and develop them as much as possible. Play Nikitin and Aulie for the rest of the year. This season is done, anyway. Is it better than we get a few more wins and finish 5th last, or stick with the terrible Nikitin and draft one of Eichel or McDavid. We're screwed either way. At the very least, let's not screw up Marincin and Klefbom's development.

This to me seems like the best blue line we could ice. I think their thinking is that limiting Marincin/klef's exposure to this team will actually help their development which is true. Also probably has something to do with contracts. Marincin needs a new one this year and Klefbom the following season if we put them in the lineup and they fair as good or better then the likes of Nikitin/Ferrence/schultz (let's face it not that hard) then their agents might try and hardball us, whereas if they spend most of their time in OKC and play say 25 games each with the big team then they don't really have a leg to stand on negotiations wise and maybe we can get them on some sweetheart 1 way deals since it's likely they will both be in the lineup full time as soon as next year barring any massive developmental fall offs.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
This to me seems like the best blue line we could ice. I think their thinking is that limiting Marincin/klef's exposure to this team will actually help their development which is true. Also probably has something to do with contracts. Marincin needs a new one this year and Klefbom the following season if we put them in the lineup and they fair as good or better then the likes of Nikitin/Ferrence/schultz (let's face it not that hard) then their agents might try and hardball us, whereas if they spend most of their time in OKC and play say 25 games each with the big team then they don't really have a leg to stand on negotiations wise and maybe we can get them on some sweetheart 1 way deals since it's likely they will both be in the lineup full time as soon as next year barring any massive developmental fall offs.

This seems to me the most likely explanation of their handling of MM/Klef this year. I was initially puzzled at some of the moves and lack of moves but this fits with my own brand of conspiracy theory. I figure they wrote off this year in the offseason and have been treating it as an 82 game training camp.

I'm really happy it looks like Schultz is finally getting some pb time, I think they've been throwing him out game after game to see what they have in him. They want him to be the golden boy offensive defenseman, and he wants the big contract... this year is put up or shut up.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
just a thought here but maybe management is letting Eakins play the team his way? I have a feeling after what renney said that upsatirs was telling him which players to play, or to play them more.

some of the decisions with D, I do very much wonder how much of this is Eakins & Ramsay vs. Mac T.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
Logic says they'd only do this if they planned to give Klefbom major ice time, perhaps because a trade was incoming.

History says they have no clue what they're doing and Kelfbom will sit in the press box for a few games, maybe be the 7th d once or twice then mysteriously be sent down again.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Logic says they'd only do this if they planned to give Klefbom major ice time, perhaps because a trade was incoming.

History says they have no clue what they're doing and Kelfbom will sit in the press box for a few games, maybe be the 7th d once or twice then mysteriously be sent down again.

Well it's confirmed that Klefbom will be playing tonight as Petry's partner, so in this case maybe logic won out for one night?

Who knows about an incoming trade...and tomorrow they very well could be pressboxing Klefbom again.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
God he could be dominating AHL competition this entire year without worrying about this gong show

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
some of the decisions with D, I do very much wonder how much of this is Eakins & Ramsay vs. Mac T.

I've never really been a huge "Fire Lowe" guy because I honestly don't know how much his job effects the play o the ice. But the more I think about it the more I think this team is Lowes baby and even Mac T and Eakins are just following orders. There is far too much similarity between the Oilers now and 4 coaches ago to be coincidence.

They always pinch too much and play an offense first game. Try to over think the PP by adding more forwards then needed. The defense always backs off too far from the attacker.

Think Lowe has lost touch with the game and is pushing his team to play an outdated style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad