Prospect Info: Oscar Fantenberg (D)

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13743

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Sheng-Peng/Stevens-Hired-Get-to-Know-Oscar-Fantenberg/240/84726

The Kings are expected to officially announce the signing of 25-year-old defenseman Oscar Fantenberg soon.

Most recently, the Swede suited up for KHL side HC Sochi, earning an All-Star Game selection. Despite missing 16 regular season games, the 6'0" left-hander tied for 10th in the league in assists among defensemen (20 in 44 appearances). He was also Sochi's most-used blueliner and a special teams fixture.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Tom Gilbert, Peter Harrold, Randy Jones, Tom Preissing or Jamie McBain?

Probably not good comps...Euro defenseman at 25 and played on National Swedish Team last year and has had 2 great seasons, third leading scorer for Frolunda last year
and this year an Allstar in the KHL.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Probably not good comps...Euro defenseman at 25 and played on National Swedish Team last year and has had 2 great seasons, third leading scorer for Frolunda last year
and this year an Allstar in the KHL.

I'm just guarding my optimism. Hope he's a contributor and not in the way of new "whipping boy". It's just that over the years I've grown to be a skeptic when it comes to bringing in mid-20 Europeans and their impact. Hasn't been great in LA. I hope that'll change with the new changes taking place.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'm just guarding my optimism. Hope he's a contributor and not in the way of new "whipping boy". It's just that over the years I've grown to be a skeptic when it comes to bringing in mid-20 Europeans and their impact. Hasn't been great in LA. I hope that'll change with the new changes taking place.

It's hard to get a read on the KHL. There are guys who are tearing it up who couldn't crack an NHL roster when they were younger, but a lot of that is play style and how well they are suited to the size of the ice. Would be difficult to be a scout and try and figure out how well their games are suited to the NHL. For every Visnovsky there are 10 that can't make the transition.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
It's hard to get a read on the KHL. There are guys who are tearing it up who couldn't crack an NHL roster when they were younger, but a lot of that is play style and how well they are suited to the size of the ice. Would be difficult to be a scout and try and figure out how well their games are suited to the NHL. For every Visnovsky there are 10 that can't make the transition.

It's really hard to gauge and to know how a Euro / Russian player will do in the NHL.
There are some that are projected to be awesome and are less than stellar and there
are no names that come over and become very adept and productive players.

In 2016 playoffs, Frantenberg was #2 defenseman scorer in the SHL playoffs, with 10 points. Tied for 8th overall, playoffs top scorers. He was 24 that year. At 25, he goes to KHL in Russia and is an allstar. Sounds like he may well be an NHL ready player now. Sweden always produces very good defensemen. Hope he truly signed. Weird, there is not an official release.

2016 SHL playoffs.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/postseason.php?leagueid=SHL&postseasonid=Playoffs&season=2015

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I actually think this guy is better than Gravel/LaDue.

More Skilled, with Better vision.

Pretty disappointed with Gravel, he got muscled off pucks way too easy.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I actually think this guy is better than Gravel/LaDue.

More Skilled, with Better vision.

Pretty disappointed with Gravel, he got muscled off pucks way too easy.

Have you seen Fantenberg play?

Here's a link about rumors of the Kings signing him. Seems their source is Hoven.
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/04/swedish-defenseman-fantenberg.html

More on RH Defenseman Neal Pionk. Apparently, he's down to 2 teams and may be Chi and LA. Seen him listed at 5'11 and 175, but he's apparently 6'0" 190 now.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2017/04/27/odds-ends-pionk-sutter-vegas/

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Have you seen Fantenberg play?

Here's a link about rumors of the Kings signing him. Seems their source is Hoven.
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/04/swedish-defenseman-fantenberg.html

More on RH Defenseman Neal Pionk. Apparently, he's down to 2 teams and may be Chi and LA. Seen him listed at 5'11 and 175, but he's apparently 6'0" 190 now.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2017/04/27/odds-ends-pionk-sutter-vegas/

Not live in person.

Plenty of video though, guy has very good hands, and NHL level vision. His skating is good, speed not so much, but he is rarely (caught) out of position.

He is a very good 1 on 1 Defender.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Can't remember a time where a guy was rumored to be signed/signing for awhile like this with no official news.

You have to wonder what the delay is. Rosen said he was doing a story on him after he talked to a few more scouts, so it's likely the rumor is true, but not sure why no announcement.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Looks like Fantenberg officially signed!

http://lakingsinsider.com/2017/05/01/pionk-signs-rangers-plus-fantenberg-note/

Meanwhile, the Kings have signed Swedish defenseman Oscar Fantenberg, who totaled three goals and 23 points in 44 games of his 25-year-old season in HC Sochi, where he was selected to the KHL All-Star Game but could not participate due to injury. A more thorough evaluation of Fantenberg will be posted here in the next day or two, but I’m told he’s another transition-comfortable defender who “creates pace with the puck, recognizes options quickly and skates smoothly with authority.â€

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If the team can strike gold with one of these types, it would go a long way towards helping the cap situation and helping the transition game. Odds are always against them, but you never know what a guy from the European leagues can do until you see him over here and on the small ice.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If the team can strike gold with one of these types, it would go a long way towards helping the cap situation and helping the transition game. Odds are always against them, but you never know what a guy from the European leagues can do until you see him over here and on the small ice.

I think Fantenberg can play in the NHL. He may never be a legit top 3/4 guy, but he can carve out a career as a solid 4/5 guy.

Maybe better.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I think Fantenberg can play in the NHL. He may never be a legit top 3/4 guy, but he can carve out a career as a solid 4/5 guy.

Maybe better.

Excellent. I would not think he would commit to coming here, from going to an allstar
with Sochi, or back to Sweden, to play in Ontario AHL. Makes me wonder if they have penciled him in at 5/6 LD and are planning on moving either Muzzin or Martinez.

Honestly, if he's very solid overall, he could conceivably be DD's partner. High hockey IQ, good 1 on 1, good defensively and good at transition, making right decisions...etc. Used to larger ice surfaces. Nobody thought McNabb or Forbort could play with DD, but they did...or even Muzzin. The ideal partner for DD is a true top pairing, but how and where do the Kings obtain one?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Maybe better.

Sounds like he has the potential to play pretty much anywhere on the D. It's worth a shot.

You can never have too many defensemen in the organization.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Sounds like he has the potential to play pretty much anywhere on the D. It's worth a shot.

You can never have too many defensemen in the organization.

The Mayor John Hoven‏
More on @OscarFantenberg - this isn't a "make NHL or go back home" scenario. Is committed to achieving NHL dream, incld AHL stint, if needed

The Mayor John Hoven
No. Told he will be given every opportunity to make NHL roster. Also, he is leaving more $ on the table overseas. Says this is his dream.

Lawrence Poleschuk @echlined
is Oscar Fantenberg penciled in for ontario or la next year?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Now it's official.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2017/05/02/scouting-report-recent-signee-oscar-fantenberg/
“He’s going to make a push, for sure,” said Ruuttu, who noted the defender’s “smarts” and ability to stay strong on his skates even though he’s not the most sizable defender. But as well as Fantenberg can move the puck, there are still the question of whether there will be an adjustment to playing in an NHL-size rink, and how familiar he becomes with the Kings’ systems and styles of play. As Los Angeles’ systems evolve with John Stevens replacing Darryl Sutter behind the bench, and with the added emphasis in the modern game in skating, transition and pace, Fantenberg could continue to develop into an interesting option who has good vision and has a skill set that could work in concert with what appears to be a prevailing style of play in the modern game.

“You have to evolve in the NHL,” Yannetti said. “Again, I like our model. I really like our model. But you have to continually be tweaking and have your model evolve. If you stop swimming, you sink.”

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I see this move as Expansion/Trade protection. If Vegas decides to take McNabb, or the Kings try to trade Martinez/McNabb/Muzzin, we have a tweener already signed to fill a spot.

if the Kings are serious about retooling, a trade from D is the smartest move. With Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, McNabb, Forbort, Gravel, LaDue, and now Fantenberg, we have an a clear position of strength they can move from, if the right deal becomes available.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
I see this move as Expansion/Trade protection. If Vegas decides to take McNabb, or the Kings try to trade Martinez/McNabb/Muzzin, we have a tweener already signed to fill a spot.

if the Kings are serious about retooling, a trade from D is the smartest move. With Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, McNabb, Forbort, Gravel, LaDue, and now Fantenberg, we have an a clear position of strength they can move from, if the right deal becomes available.

Oh please, oh please, oh please.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4