Orr-Bieksa vs. Lidstrom-Karlsson

Which top pairing would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Weird pairings.

Orr is #1, Lidstrom is #2 or #3, Karlsson is probably top 20, and who is Bieksa?

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Bieksas biggest issue (in his time as a Duck) was that he thought he was as good as Bobby Orr and got himself into trouble over and over again

So many bad memories

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Orr is the best blueliner in history and by quite an obvious margin over the second best defender on this list (Lidstrom, a top 4-6 defender of all time). But would he be able to dominate today's game to the extent that it would make up the difference between Karlsson (a top 3-5 player in the NHL in his prime) and Bieksa (a solid #2/3D on a contender in his prime). I'm not so sure.

Voted Lidstrom/Karlsson, as there's less guessing there.

Last edited:

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Lidstrom and Karlsson pretty easily. No disrespect to Bieksa, who had a long career, but this is a comparison against the best in the game.

The strength of a team with two number one d-men, who are the best, is better than one number one d-man, even if he is the best ever, and a guy who was pretty good top 4 guy when he had the right coach.

You could probably play Lidstrom and Karlsson together. You could give them 30 minutes each. One guy goes down, the other picks up the slack. Orr goes down and your team is left with Bieksa up shit creek without a paddle.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I've been trying to think which partner for Orr would lead to the most balanced result in the poll. Someone with less offensive ability than both Lidstrom and Karlsson but with a very strong defensive game. Would Chara tip the scales too much? About a 50 point guy at his peak, but a shutdown monster.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I've been trying to think which partner for Orr would lead to the most balanced result in the poll. Someone with less offensive ability than both Lidstrom and Karlsson but with a very strong defensive game. Would Chara tip the scales too much? About a 50 point guy at his peak, but a shutdown monster.
Langway.

Reactions: Kreator

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You're looking at two of the three best all-time.

To balance the reasonably small edge that Orr has over Lidstrom, you need a player not quite as good as Karlsson, so somewhere in the high twenties. Someone like Keith, MacInnes, Blake, Chara, or Salming?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Orr-Bieksa for a less obvious reason.

If all four guys are 18, and just about to come into the league, I think Bieksa's development curve would be a lot better than what it was in Vancouver. Now, he's playing with the all-time best ever.

I know that Messier, Coffey, Anderson, and Kurri were all great players in their own right, but I'm also sure that their careers were elevated because they played with Gretzky. If Bieksa gets to start on the top pairing with Orr throughout his career, I'm sure his career looks very different.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

To balance the reasonably small edge that Orr has over Lidstrom, you need a player not quite as good as Karlsson, so somewhere in the high twenties. Someone like Keith, MacInnes, Blake, Chara, or Salming?
The difference between Orr and Lidstrom is by no means small. Orr's best offensive seasons, era-adjusted, are roughly in the 115-130 point rage. This is a guy who beat out the likes of Esposito, Lafleur, Mikita, Clarke, Dionne, and Mahovalich in the scoring race and almost doubled the production of top 5-10 defenseman of all time Denis Potvin in his second Art Ross win. All this while being the best defensive defenseman in the game. It takes a player of Bieksa's level to make this close (though I voted for Lidstrom and Karlsson).

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Orr is in a different tier compared to Lidstrom. Karlsson isn't that much better than any of those players, especially when we look at career value and how Karlsson fell off a cliff. Just using Chara for a quick reference, he has more Norris nominations than Karlsson (6-4), double the top 5 finishes (8-4) and double the top 10 finishes (10-5).

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
I’ll rather have two phenomenal talents than just one, even if he’s on top of the others by large margin.

Hockey is teamwork, thus Lidas-Karlsson.
I might take Orr-Chara thought

lawrence

May 19, 2012
like asking me would I rather have Mcdavid and Horvat or Matthews and Eichel.

Of course I take Orr man.

Reactions: bh53

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The difference between Orr and Lidstrom is by no means small. Orr's best offensive seasons, era-adjusted, are roughly in the 115-130 point rage. This is a guy who beat out the likes of Esposito, Lafleur, Mikita, Clarke, Dionne, and Mahovalich in the scoring race and almost doubled the production of top 5-10 defenseman of all time Denis Potvin in his second Art Ross win. All this while being the best defensive defenseman in the game. It takes a player of Bieksa's level to make this close (though I voted for Lidstrom and Karlsson).
I did say "relatively small", as in "smaller than the difference between Karlsson and Bieksa".

Considering that the voting is almost 4:1, I think a lot of people are agreeing with me. So I offered a few names that I thought might make the poll closer.

(I'm regularly surprised at how many people feel they have to jump to Orr's defence (sorry) at even the slightest perception of criticism. It's as though they didn't really believe he was the best, and ate trying to convince themselves.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad