Orpik's role

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ehrhoff and Seidenberg have nothing left in the tank. They're done in the NHL. I'd rather play Chorney over them at this point. The easiest way to upgrade on defense is to be patient with Orlov and Schmidt. Maybe we can even call up Bowey for a game or two and see if he's ready as we get closer to the TDL.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ehrhoff and Seidenberg have nothing left in the tank. They're done in the NHL. I'd rather play Chorney over them at this point. The easiest way to upgrade on defense is to be patient with Orlov and Schmidt. Maybe we can even call up Bowey for a game or two and see if he's ready as we get closer to the TDL.

We don't know that. They're not that old and not flat out shot like Heatley. Plenty of players bounce back after really bad seasons, especially vets. Ehrhoff killed it in worlds, Seidenberg may heal up after a long offseason. Put them into a position to succeed with managed minutes and they may surprise and play way above expectations. At the very least they're both decade long veterans of the NHL with complementary games who used to each be top pairing. Everyone thought Orpik was flat out DONE DONE DONE after we signed him but he was respectable as a top 4 his first season here and might have been last season too if not for injuries.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We don't know that. They're not that old and not flat out shot like Heatley. Plenty of players bounce back after really bad seasons, especially vets. Ehrhoff killed it in worlds, Seidenberg may heal up after a long offseason. Put them into a position to succeed with managed minutes and they may surprise and play way above expectations. At the very least they're both decade long veterans of the NHL with complementary games who used to each be top pairing. Everyone thought Orpik was flat out DONE DONE DONE after we signed him but he was respectable as a top 4 his first season here and might have been last season 2 if not for injuries.

Seidenberg is a pylon at this point. He still has the vision and anticipation, but the legs are gone. Ehrhoff was so bad for the Kings that they traded him for Scuderi.

Ehrhoff was in a position to succeed, he played 40 games next to Doughty, the best or second best D in the league.

We have one struggling vet on the blue line already, let's trust our young defensemen.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Seidenberg is a pylon at this point. He still has the vision and anticipation, but the legs are gone. Ehrhoff was so bad for the Kings that they traded him for Scuderi.

Ehrhoff was in a position to succeed, he played 40 games next to Doughty, the best or second best D in the league.

We have one struggling vet on the blue line already, let's trust our young defensemen.

Orpik was a pylon too when we got him... Seidenberg had a bad year but he's never been fast and his game isn't based on it, if he heals up there's no reason he can't hang on in a 3rd or even 2nd pairing role with the right deployment and partner.

Ehrhoff is the exact opposite type of defenseman you want next to Doughty, that's him getting the toughest minutes next to one of the league's best PMDs and being put in charge of covering him... literally the worst you can use him for, it's a position to fail... they traded him for Scuderi because they won 2 cups with Scuderi next to Doughty.

That said it's not happening

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Orpik was a pylon too when we got him... Seidenberg had a bad year but he's never been fast and his game isn't based on it, if he heals up there's no reason he can't hang on in a 3rd or even 2nd pairing role with the right deployment and partner.

Ehrhoff is the exact opposite type of defenseman you want next to Doughty, that's him getting the toughest minutes next to one of the league's best PMDs and being put in charge of covering him... literally the worst you can use him for, it's a position to fail... they traded him for Scuderi because they won 2 cups with Scuderi next to Doughty.

That said it's not happening

We got lucky with Orpik bouncing back like he did in 2015. He's trending downwards again, I hope we're not getting the pylon version of Orpik permanently.

How is being next to Doughty being put in a position to fail? I could understand if he was playing with Karlsson or Subban or Letang who like to jump on the rush, but Doughty is perhaps the most balanced D in the league. He only pinches when it's safe to do so. I've never seen him get caught up the ice on a turnover. Yes, they had some tough minutes to play, but Ehrhoff had the best possible partner in the league.

What's the ideal scenario for Ehrhoff? A stay-at-home guy like Alzner or Vlasic?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ehrhoff maybe has something left in the tank, but Siedenberg is 100% donezo. He's been absolutely awful since his injury a few years ago. His mobility is shot, and that in turn has also resulted in plenty more bad turnovers he's forced to commit because he can no longer win 1-on-1 battles. He was a great player, but tearing both his ACL and MCL effectively ended his career as a useful NHLer.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
We got lucky with Orpik bouncing back like he did in 2015. He's trending downwards again, I hope we're not getting the pylon version of Orpik permanently.

How is being next to Doughty being put in a position to fail? I could understand if he was playing with Karlsson or Subban or Letang who like to jump on the rush, but Doughty is perhaps the most balanced D in the league. He only pinches when it's safe to do so. I've never seen him get caught up the ice on a turnover. Yes, they had some tough minutes to play, but Ehrhoff had the best possible partner in the league.

What's the ideal scenario for Ehrhoff? A stay-at-home guy like Alzner or Vlasic?

Ehrhoff's best hockey ever was played with Edler, and 2nd best with Vlasic in San Jose. Edler is a stay at home guy who is an average skater with a booming shot and good offensive (but not puck rushing) skills, Seidenberg was a very similar player in his prime. He's better on the right than on the left and needs that kind of partner. Doughty is definitely not a babysitter and plays on the right, his best hockey was done with Scuderi and Muzzin who played a stay at home role. Ehrhoff is not a stay at home guy, his defense is based on skating back really fast during a rush and checking people as they're carrying the puck down his side. Also with Doughty he was facing the toughest competition and as such got slaughtered.

Right now his best partner is of an Hjarmalsson/Edler/Vlasic/McDonaugh/Alzner (with a bit more puck moving skill) mold, but facing 2nd/3rd pairing QC where it can be a 2nd pairing version of those players, he's no longer capable of going up against the best but he can still be very good. If you put him up against top lines the only one in the league who could carry him right now is Keith and possibly Suter.

I can buy that Seidenberg is done I guess, but I feel like he might have a slight improvement in mobility with enough rehab where he's a suitable bottom 3 D again. I remember he was a monster in the Bruins' cup run and he wasn't the fastest skater than so it's not like that is a core part of his game.

I'm fine with what we have, provided they put out Carlzner as the top pairing and Niskanenov as the 2nd pairing, then put Orpik with Schmidt for sheltered minutes/use Orpik for PK. I think Orlov will surprise a lot of people after getting a healthy year under his belt in which he broke out offensively, and could be a good #3 for us if we play him with Niskanen. Hopefully Trotz isn't stubborn about Orpik-Orlov and Schmidt-Carlson.

Orlov actually kind of reminds me of a Russian Ehrhoff.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ehrhoff's best hockey ever was played with Edler, and 2nd best with Vlasic in San Jose. Edler is a stay at home guy who is an average skater with a booming shot and good offensive (but not puck rushing) skills, Seidenberg was a very similar player in his prime. He's better on the right than on the left and needs that kind of partner. Doughty is definitely not a babysitter and plays on the right, his best hockey was done with Scuderi and Muzzin who played a stay at home role. Ehrhoff is not a stay at home guy, his defense is based on skating back really fast during a rush and checking people as they're carrying the puck down his side. Also with Doughty he was facing the toughest competition and as such got slaughtered.

Right now his best partner is of an Hjarmalsson/Edler/Vlasic/McDonaugh/Alzner (with a bit more puck moving skill) mold, but facing 2nd/3rd pairing QC where it can be a 2nd pairing version of those players, he's no longer capable of going up against the best but he can still be very good. If you put him up against top lines the only one in the league who could carry him right now is Keith and possibly Suter.

I can buy that Seidenberg is done I guess, but I feel like he might have a slight improvement in mobility with enough rehab where he's a suitable bottom 3 D again. I remember he was a monster in the Bruins' cup run and he wasn't the fastest skater than so it's not like that is a core part of his game.

I'm fine with what we have, provided they put out Carlzner as the top pairing and Niskanenov as the 2nd pairing, then put Orpik with Schmidt for sheltered minutes/use Orpik for PK. I think Orlov will surprise a lot of people after getting a healthy year under his belt in which he broke out offensively, and could be a good #3 for us if we play him with Niskanen. Hopefully Trotz isn't stubborn about Orpik-Orlov and Schmidt-Carlson.

Orlov actually kind of reminds me of a Russian Ehrhoff.

If Orlov miraculously learned to play actual DEFENSE over the summer, he'll surprise pretty much everyone. Not sure the health excuse is even worth mentioning at this point. That leash you Orlov fans are wielding is mighty long... ;)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
it bares repeating. If Orlov made the same decisions that Schmidt makes, he would be a top 4 defenseman. They are essentially the same player with Orlov having far more dynamic ability. If Schmidt could shoot and skate with the puck like Orlov, he would be a top 4 d.

The thing I dont understand is that Orlov has been in the NHL far longer than Schmidt and he should be making better decisions than Schmidt and he doesnt.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
it bares repeating. If Orlov made the same decisions that Schmidt makes, he would be a top 4 defenseman. They are essentially the same player with Orlov having far more dynamic ability. If Schmidt could shoot and skate with the puck like Orlov, he would be a top 4 d.

The thing I dont understand is that Orlov has been in the NHL far longer than Schmidt and he should be making better decisions than Schmidt and he doesnt.

Orlov has played 60 more games than Schmidt and they are 7 days apart in age. Their experience is nearly identical, even if Orlov has played in more NHL seasons. Both players will hopefully benefit from a full healthy offseason and provide an upgrade to the blue line for next season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orlov has played 60 more games than Schmidt and they are 7 days apart in age. Their experience is nearly identical, even if Orlov has played in more NHL seasons. Both players will hopefully benefit from a full healthy offseason and provide an upgrade to the blue line for next season.

Orlov played 60 NHL games in 2011-2012. Schmidt didnt play an NHL game until 2013-2014. While he missed an entire season, most of that he was skating with the team. He was in all the meetings. He was getting NHL coaching. He's had two full seasons in the NHL more than Schmidt.

Look at it another way. Schmidt stepped into the NHL from an NCAA career and was already making better decisions than Orlov was.

I am not buying that Orlov's advantage in NHL time was of no value.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Many would say the difference is simply....hockey IQ.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Looks like the echo chamber doesn't need training camp. It's humming right along.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Banged up Orpik struggled but he was a boss his first season here. If he gets healthy and I suspect he will be considering he's a fitness freak and returns to the way he played his first year here and suddenly this thread will be laughable. There's a chance he doesn't obviously but I have a good feeling he has something to prove this coming season.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I believe in best Orpik's intentions. But every minor injury will set him few steps back most probably. I mean in terms of shape, sharpness.

I expect him to train like a madman and still make dumb mistakes here and there. With some luck in health department he's as good as Orlov but obviously different.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Orlov on his game > Orpik on his game
Orlov in garbage pizza mode = Orpik in garbage dumb penalties mode

Yeah no. Orlov on his game plays mediocre at best Defense....and has Great offense. Mike Green anyone? ;)

Orpik is a shutdown impact Defender 'on his game'.

We'll just agree to disagree on how fantastic Orlov is. I patiently await for his defensive game to improve this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad