Orlov with the HOTY

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Wonder if that hit was done on AO you would be saying the same thing.

If that hit were attempted on AO, he never would have tried to cut to the middle like that in the first place.

He'd just try to see if he could hit Orlov all the way to the end boards.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
He low bridged him, It wasn't really a hip check. Entertaining either way.

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
Not sure how that isn't a penalty, it was CLEARLY clipping. He went way too low.

A hip check is at the hip, not the knees...

Untitled.jpg

Not sure how anyone could say that isn't directly at the knees...

You guys are all missing the point here. The PRINCIPLE POINT OF CONTACT was Orlovs shoulder to Duchene's hip. This impact makes Duch (lol) flip over Orlov.

Had Orlov delivered a hip check, the PRINCIPLE POINT OF CONTACT would have been the knees and this would have been clipping.

Marchands clipping penalty was justified because the PRINCIPLE POINT OF CONTACT was the knees.

Do you understand (mod)? It's all about the PRINCIPLE POINT OF CONTACT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Hopefully next time Orlov goes to hit someone like this, they skate through him and knee him right in the face.

If Duchene doesn't try and jump over him, he's probably got a blown out knee. Since that's where Orlov's hip/butt make initial contact. Your butt isn't 6 inches off the ice when you're making a hip check, for those confused, thinking this is a "beauty" hip check.

yeah, totally agree. I've neve runderstood why hip checks are even allowed. The potential for injury is so high and the only players that throw them are ***** players that arent man enough to throw a proper standing body check. You should never low-bridge a skater.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
yeah, totally agree. I've neve runderstood why hip checks are even allowed. The potential for injury is so high and the only players that throw them are ***** players that arent man enough to throw a proper standing body check. You should never low-bridge a skater.

Everyone throws hip checks, and they don't result in a low bridge if executed properly. That's not a low bridge BTW, Duchene's thighs and stomach are on Orlov's back and he did a front flip because he tried to dodge Orlov. If he didn't try to dodge, he would've been flipped sideways and sat down like a regular hip check.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Beautiful hit but it wasn't a hip check.

Hip check is hip to hip. That was crouching body to entire lower body, which is why many are saying clipping.

The reason it isn't dirty is because his position was excellent when delivering the point of contact.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Everyone throws hip checks, and they don't result in a low bridge if executed properly. That's not a low bridge BTW, Duchene's thighs and stomach are on Orlov's back and he did a front flip because he tried to dodge Orlov. If he didn't try to dodge, he would've been flipped sideways and sat down like a regular hip check.

No everyone doesnt. Most people hit like men, not like a baby with his butt sticking out in the fetal position.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No everyone doesnt. Most people hit like men, not like a baby with his butt sticking out in the fetal position.

Everyone throws hip checks bud. Scott Stevens, arguably the most physical player in NHL history used to throw hip checks. There's no such thing as a manly hit, LMAO.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Everyone throws hip checks bud. Scott Stevens, arguably the most physical player in NHL history used to throw hip checks. There's no such thing as a manly hit, LMAO.

So you say "everyone", and then give an example of someone retired for how long? And he was known for bone crushing hits, not bend-over-like-youre-taking-it hits.

If you dont understand hitting like a man and hitting like a *****, I guess to explain it would be pointless.

Edit: Not to say Stevens never did, but that wasnt his MO

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So you say "everyone", and then give an example of someone retired for how long? And he was known for bone crushing hits, not bend-over-like-youre-taking-it hits.

If you dont understand hitting like a man and hitting like a *****, I guess to explain it would be pointless.

Here's a compilation for you

Methot, Letang, Doughty, Boychuk, Emelin, Ellis, Goligoski etc.

Are they pansies because they throw hip checks? Hip checks have been around the game forever, and it's one of the reasons why hockey players are taught to always keep their head up. It's impossible to throw a hip check if the forward sees you coming, he'll just deke past you as if you were a traffic cone.

Orlov can also throw big regular hits

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Beautiful hit but it wasn't a hip check.
Hip check is hip to hip. That was crouching body to entire lower body, which is why many are saying clipping.
The reason it isn't dirty is because his position was excellent when delivering the point of contact.
The reason this isn't dirty is because it couldn't be.

That was clipping:

Ballard kept moving towards McGinn and caught him below the knees. Orlov was stationary and straightened up for a shoulder wheel throw. The target was Duchene's stomach. 5 points for you Orlov.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Marchand does this hit and people say it's lowbridging. I don't understand life

I think the difference is that Orlov has not repeatedly tried to injure other players with stupid plays and that's besides the fact that it was a good hit.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Honestly, that was a dangerous play by Orlov and borderline clipping.
Would not call that a hip check
Yeah, as a neutral fan, I thought it was a SPECTACULAR hit, but probably not legal. Seemed like a knee level hit, which is very dangerous, and should be a clipping penalty.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

A good hip check takes more skill then catching an opponent that isn't paying attention.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
A good hip check takes more skill then catching an opponent that isn't paying attention.
Huh?

All checks take skill. Hip checks, where you lower your center of gravity in order to low-bridge someone, takes less strength than standing up and hitting someone like a man. When you man up and hit someone while standing, you stand a chance to takng the worst of the hit if the other guy is big and ready. If you hit while in the "taking it while in the prison shower" position, you have an advantage since you have compacted your center of gravity under your opponants.

Here's a compilation for you

Methot, Letang, Doughty, Boychuk, Emelin, Ellis, Goligoski etc.

Are they pansies because they throw hip checks? Hip checks have been around the game forever, and it's one of the reasons why hockey players are taught to always keep their head up. It's impossible to throw a hip check if the forward sees you coming, he'll just deke past you as if you were a traffic cone.

Orlov can also throw big regular hits
Um, thanks. You said everyone. Thats not everyone. I never said then never happen, so I'm not sure of the point of your post.

They are rare becasue they are dangerous and sometimes dirty. I can see why they are entertaining to people though.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Um, thanks. You said everyone. Thats not everyone. I never said then never happen, so I'm not sure of the point of your post.

They are rare becasue they are dangerous and sometimes dirty. I can see why they are entertaining to people though.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Hip checks have been around since the dawn of hockey, thousands of players have thrown at least one hip check in their lives. They are rare because they are impossible to execute if the target has his head up. They teach you to keep your head up and on a swivel at all times, especially when you cross the blue line.

Hip checks serve one purpose beyond regular hitting. It disorients the target, you would know if you received one in your life. When you get flipped by a hip check, not only do you lose control of the puck, but you also lose track of the play because you're trying to land safely.

Trust me, if he has learned anything, Duchene will never cross the blue line with his head down again.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Are you being intentionally obtuse? Hip checks have been around since the dawn of hockey, thousands of players have thrown at least one hip check in their lives. They are rare because they are impossible to execute if the target has his head up. They teach you to keep your head up and on a swivel at all times, especially when you cross the blue line.

Hip checks serve one purpose beyond regular hitting. It disorients the target, you would know if you received one in your life. When you get flipped by a hip check, not only do you lose control of the puck, but you also lose track of the play because you're trying to land safely.

Trust me, if he has learned anything, Duchene will never cross the blue line with his head down again.

I'm not saying they haven't been around for a long time, so I'm not sure what your point is. You said everyone throws them. No they don't.

How many have you seen so far this year? If everyone throws them, we should have seen well over 100 hip checks so far this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad