OT: Orlando Solar Bears Thread - Baby I'm ready to go!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Query, should the mascot still be named 'Shades'?

The use of the term 'shades' was sort of cheese then.

Can anyone think of a better name for a Polar Bear wearing sunglasses, or is it just unquestionable with the team going to be called the Solar Bears?

Another question, should he keep #95?

I think I'd freak out if I saw Shades IRL again. As a kid, I was never really impressed by mascots, but my god would it hit home for me now that the bear is back.

If they put Shades at the end of the tunnel leading from the Geico garage into the arena itself before the first game, grown men will begin weeping before they can get their picture taken with him.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You know what? Keep Shades.

Changing mascots would make it seem like it's a 'new' Solar Bears, and we don't want that.

You can change everyone on the staff, but Shades is a constant. He is our rock.

We are here to guide him in life after hibernation, and he is there to guide us in the unending ways of the bear.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Shades kinda sounds like blades. Hence it should stay.

Florida Everblades?

Unrelated to that, but I think that a Tampa Bay affiliation is more important than ever with this Orlando team, whatever they're called.

The team's fan culture is going to largely have to exist on the internet, and isolating the Lightning and Solar Bear fans like that into separate groups was something you could get away with 10 years ago, but probably not now. When the bear went away, MySpace was still nearly two years away from being launched, and Apple was closer than ever to just being bought by Microsoft and done away with. Social networking and twitter didn't exist, and there wasn't an app for any of that.

But there is now.

The Solar Bears fanbase is going to be more infused with Lightning fan culture then it ever was, as the Lightning were allowed to develop one while the Bear was in hibernation. Not affiliating makes people have to start to take sides, and schisms the community, in which both sides will end up losers.

When the modern Solar Bear fan culture is established, I can't see 'intensity' not making the leap.

I mean, take a look at these wireless statistics. The reference points are interesting: June 96', or one season into the Solar Bears life; June 01', the month they played their last game; followed by June 06' and 11'.

http://www.ctia.org/advocacy/research/index.cfm/aid/10323

The high speed rail, although I think it'll flop, threatens to help break down the wall between Tampa and Orlando. The cultures and fanbases need to be one in the same this time around.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It also occurred to me that if we do affiliate with Tampa Bay, we will likely be very, very French.

Might as well call us le 'Orléansdeux Ours Solaires'.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What will you wear? What will you say?

What? Me? No, I'm not going to be able to go to the presser, but I've just wanted the Solar Bears to come back for a long, long, time.

I think this is the day, but after the Seals adventure, I've learned to expect anything.

What makes this partly so nerve wracking is that I don't even know who to follow on twitter for up-to-the-second updates for this.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm passing the time, and my nervousness, by finding this:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: SOLARBEARSHOCKEY.COM
Created on: 12-Sep-11
Expires on: 12-Sep-12
Last Updated on: 12-Sep-11

Administrative Contact:
Ohrablo, Robert

How many Bob Ohrablos could there be in Hollywood, FL?

The address is just parked though. Nothing to see yet.

This address was just waiting to be found though. I'd have thought they'd go with the more discreet registration and have that information blocked out for a few dollars.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I was thinking about going but decided not to. Not worth the hassle of downtown right now, and Im feeling lazy haha.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's already 1:32. WHAT'S TAKING THEM SO LONG?

City of Orlando Welcomes Home
the Orlando Solar Bears

Orlando, FL - When the Orlando Solar Bears last skated off the ice 10 years ago, they carried the IHL’s final Turner Cup. Today owners of the Orlando ECHL team (Joe Haleski, Jason Siegel and Bob Ohrablo) were joined by City of Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, Orlando Magic President Alex Martins and ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna, to announce that the team will be named the Orlando Solar Bears.

“The Solar Bears were a strong part of our community and it is with open arms that we welcome them back to Orlando,” said Mayor Buddy Dyer. “The new Amway Center was designed with the goal of housing a hockey team and features amenities specific to hockey. We look forward to showcasing our new state-of-the-art Amway Center to hockey fans here in Central Florida and giving them an experience they will never forget.”

“The Orlando Solar Bears are coming out of hibernation,” said Bob Ohrablo, Chief Operating Officer/Managing Partner of Orlando Pro Hockey Operations, L.P. “We are honored to bring the Solar Bears back to Orlando. Once the ECHL announced that we were awarded an expansion franchise, fans from throughout Central Florida made it clear to us to what the team’s name should be. We want to continue the proud tradition established by the DeVos family.”

The Orlando Solar Bears, owned by RDV Sports, competed in the International Hockey League from 1995-2001. In their six seasons, the Solar Bears won three Conference Championships and in 2000-2001 won the IHL championship trophy – the Turner Cup. It was the last Turner Cup ever awarded.

"On behalf of the Orlando Magic family, we welcome Orlando Pro Hockey to Central Florida. We are excited that we have formed a partnership with Orlando Pro Hockey that will enable them to revive the tradition of pro hockey established here by our organization in the past,” remarked Orlando Magic President Alex Martins.

“On behalf of the ECHL Board of Governors, I am pleased to welcome the Orlando Solar Bears to the ECHL. Orlando is a dynamic city,” said McKenna. “That, combined with a world-class facility in theAmway Center and an experienced and enthusiastic ownership group, create a very positive outlook for the future of hockey in Orlando.”

“We are looking forward to bringing another family affordable entertainment option to Orlando and we are pleased with the initial response,” said Jason Siegel, President/Managing Partner. “We anticipate that at least 60% of our lower bowl seats will be priced at $15 and under. So far more than 700 season ticket deposits/information requests have come in through our website since the ECHL announced the approval of the expansion franchise two weeks ago. We urge fans to visit our website and place a deposit. ”

The Orlando Solar Bears will begin play at the Amway Center in October 2012. Fans will be able to obtain ticket plan information by visiting www.orlandosolarbearshockey.com. Season tickets plans will range in price from $195-$1350 per season seat. Full and half season ticket plans will be available.

The team will unveil its’ team logos and jersey designs, announce its NHL and AHL affiliations, and introduce its coaching staff over the next 6-8 months. The team has retained The Joe Bosack Graphic Design Company (joebosack.com) to design its primary and secondary logos along with new jersey designs and wordmarks. Joe Bosack designed the Colorado Avalanche logo and a number of current ECHL team marks.

Looks like they're getting a new look though. :unsure:

Johnny8242

May 29, 2008
Greenville, SC
Welcome

Welcome Orlando I look forward to seeing the Road Warriors beat you many times during the year.

In all seriousness glad to have another team in the SE. It will make the schedule a little less bland as playing SC,FLA, GWT 48ish times a year!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Oh god we have to wait 6-8 months to know if the Lightning will affiliate with them. :cry::help:

Well of course, the Lightning aren't going to be classless and announce an affiliation with another team during the season.

Based on the wording of the article though, which I believe was written by someone with the team, there will be affiliations. The ECHL doesn't require them, but there's a certainty to what I'm reading.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Welcome Orlando I look forward to seeing the Road Warriors beat you many times during the year.

BmXPq.jpg

Huh, what was that?

Congrats to FP and to all the other Solar Bears! ;)

Thank you. I'm very relieved in a way, but with a redesign, another set of problems could prevent themselves.

These people are new to Orlando, they don't know the Solar Bears, and if they don't bring in the people who get 'it' quickly enough, they could miss the mark. We need Shades now more than ever.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Joe Bosack is a really solid designer though.

True, and the Colorado Avalanche's sweaters do bear a certain similarity to a modern take on somewhat what the Solar Bears could look like, but the key thing about what makes a 'Solar' Bear a 'Solar Bear' is it's a bear wearing mother****ing sunglasses.

This is cannon. If Bosack comes back with something that does not involve this concept, take your business elsewhere.

It's also why the mascot is going to be called 'Shades' as what else do you call a Solar/Polar Bear wearing mother****ing sunglasses?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
True, and the Colorado Avalanche's sweaters do bear a certain similarity to a modern take on somewhat what the Solar Bears could look like, but the key thing about what makes a 'Solar' Bear a 'Solar Bear' is it's a bear wearing mother****ing sunglasses.

This is cannon. If Bosack comes back with something that does not involve this concept, take your business elsewhere.

It's also why the mascot is going to be called 'Shades' as what else do you call a Solar/Polar Bear wearing mother****ing sunglasses?

If they were going to redesign the logo etc, why trademark the old logo? Odd no?

Maybe protection of the brand name?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad