OT: Orlando Solar Bears Thread - Baby I'm ready to go!

HJimm

I will be reporting every single post as trolling.

Why? Are you jealous some of the Tampa thunder is being stolen? I live in Orlando. I was the 1st Bears STH back in 1994 when they announced the team. I've put my deposit down for SB 2.0. I've attended Lightning games at the Orena, Fairgrounds, ThunderDome, and Ice Palace. I've held partial ST for several years. I am a Wings fan 1st (since 68) but I follow this team.

The team owners have ties to the Devils.
The Devils don't have a full time affiliate.
1+1=2

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The team owners have ties to the Devils.
The Devils don't have a full time affiliate.
1+1=2

The team owners also have ties to the Penguins. Doesn't mean they're going to affiliate.

The Devs also have the Trenton Titans right there.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I hope they at least clean up the logo with some less jagged lines.

Those are artifacts from the scanning process, but it's there more as a rough approximation to protect themselves against potential copyright infringement. The more detailed they make it, the easier it also gets for someone else to just change small details and make a reasonable case that it's not a ripoff.

True.... I would HATE it if we became a Penguins affiliate. It's the only team in the NHL I completely loath.

The Penguins aren't so bad. They got irritating when they got Crosby, but before that, they weren't too terrible.

They even drafted former Solar Bear Pat Neaton.

The Pens' ECHL affiliate, the Wheeling Nailers, also employs Stan Drulia. Who was the Seals coach for that one good year they had, and a former Bolt. I wouldn't mind springing him loose from their grip.

He's a young guy with a lot of minor league connections, and a preference for unconventional systems. He's coached the only team I've ever seen run a diamond defense on ES.

He also played against the Solar Bears enough to know what it means.

Otherwise, let's see...Mark Beaufait is retired, Shawn Carter is retired, Todd Richards seems to not be doing anything, Curtis Murphy is still playing, Dreger is/was strength & conditioning along with player development coach for the Columbus Cottonmouths.

We could get somebody from those days in here.

There's also like 400 Sutters, and while the bear never had any real association with the family, like I said, there's hundreds of them.

Last edited:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Just like to point out that as of right now, @OrlandoHockey is being followed by @TBLightning. And is not being followed by any other NHL team.

Also being followed by a couple of PR types and interns from the Lightning

:yo:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Jim Paek is an assistant coach with Grand Rapids of the AHL, the Red Wings affiliate. Perhaps Yzerman brings him back to Central Florida.

Curt Fraser used to be the Solar Bears head coach. He's now in charge of keeping Jim Paek from ruining the Griffins.

AHL assistant coach > ECHL head coach

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Looking at the standings...uh...where do they put them? There will be 13 teams in the east and eight in the west. Not that many may like it, but they may have to move a few teams to the West or create a Central Division....

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
They're not going to. The ECHL could care less about Division and conference size. There was one year when the South Division still had 9 teams that the Ice Pilots played 72 games, 3 against Northern teams and 69 against he other 8 South Division teams and 8 of the 9 teams in the division made the playoffs.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It's not that they have 30+ teams. They could get rid of all that division stuff and just do it European way: One division for everybody.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think the State Department should put together a video for Shades on what's happened since he began his hibernation.

Like they did for the Embassy hostages in Iran.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm not sure anyone is really doing anything in regards to the website. Not totally surprising, as there's only got to be 5-ish people total in the organization right now.

I e-mailed them on Wednesday, but I still haven't seen any changes to the website, or a response from them yet.

Also no call about season tickets yet. This is partly why I didn't put down a deposit yet for this exact reasoning. If no one's there, who is keeping the books on this type of stuff?

Or maybe I just shouldn't have asked them about employment opportunities. :sarcasm:

HJimm

I think it's the worst kept secret since Desert Storm in 91. Anyone want odds? :)
If you put a deposit down for season tickets or If you liked them on Crapbook you got notified. I'd be there but I signed up to teach for an hour at my daughter's school on Wed. I'll definitely be talking some hockey.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Do sweaters in the ECHL have the league's logo on them?

If they do, it'll severely cut down on retro sweater names. (assuming this all goes to plan)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad