Organization Speak and the Result

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Geez, if Mario wanted a team similar to Montreal, he's not even close. Hell, the Pens don't even look in the same league as Ottawa

There's only one way this team will ever look anything like Montreal. Is anyone questioning Therrien's decision to bench Subban during last season? Nope. The proof is in the pudding.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Honestly that interview reeked of pr damage control more than anything else. The team isnt much more than an investment to burkle and I doubt mario gets involved much other than with major deals and salary decisions.

They said the right things, hired Rutherford for whatever god awful reason, and hit the links.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
If we'd stayed the course we could have had Maatta and Despres ready for top 4 level and Bennett for top 9 plus one of the other young dmen being brought along and maybe a young forward in the bottom 6. As is, Pouliot and Dumoulin will both be in the NHL next year but not in a top 4 role, Bennett, the organisation has no clue what they're doing with him and then maybe Sundqvist will get a bottom 6 role if we're lucky.

Perfectly said. Id add after that that we get at least 1 more genuine top 6 winger and we get a couple bottom 6 forwards that are better suited and we'd be a very dangerous team.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
The root cause of everything in this thread is Mario Lemieux. Literally nothing will change as long as he is still around.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
As we know the famous interview with DK, Lemieux, and Burkle. I want to bring up some points 1 year ago from that interview for discussion. Link to interview: http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2014/05/16/exclusive-interview-mario-lemieux-ron-burkle/

(when asked about players such as Letestu, Lovejoy, Despres,etc.)

It's something that needs a thread of it's own. We have had a year to live up to words. Is it time to blame ownership? Do you think they've done a good job? What sey you?

Yes. Ownership is to blame more than ANYTHING else

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think Burkle has as much say as people think he does, he seems to be the one that is annoyed the most about the way the Penguins handled youth and yet, they continue to do so.

Either Mario has his ear in a big way, or Morehouse, or whatever...it doesn't seem right at all. The fact that they talk about drafting forwards and what not...where is that? Even going out to sign young forwards, they haven't even done that with UFA's around the world.

We've had Wilson and Rust getting chances, even Uher, and various others this year for the first time in a long time, if it was the Shero/Bylsma Pens, we'd see even more of Ebbett and probably Kostopolous some how.

I am still pissed that Rust isn't up, Adams is still there, and while Downie has heart, he has a target painted on his back in bright neon green with a lazer show coming out of his ass, bench the guy for the sake of the team also maybe send a message to Perron to smarten the hell up...

This team lacks so much discipline at every level from management down to the ice level it's not even funny.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They don't view their youth as worthy. They didn't like Despres and Bennett, and Pouliot and Maatta were injured.

After that, who is there? Dumo and Harrington? Dumo looks like a 3rd pairing guy to me and Harrington... I don't know.

It's a two-part issue: their "youth" is nearly nonexistent and the youth hey do have, well, are they judging it properly?

I don't know. I don't think so. I think part of the issue will be fixed when the season ends.

You could trade away experience for more youth.

Or so I've heard . . .

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i had another conversation with the person affiliated with the penguins. i was had been reluctant to ask him about sid's concussion but i broached the subject. he was quite willing to discuss it, did not seem sensitive about it at all. he said ideally dr. burk would have recognized sid's injury in the winter classic and held him out, but that the problem, generally speaking, is hockey players are extremely reluctant to admit to injuries. worst of all athletes, he said. "they are afraid to look like p******." sid didnt mention that he was having any problems, and then the hedman hit happened. he didnt assign blame, just said it was a rough situation. he said that was a very stressful time for burk. also said that it was probably just a concussion (forget to ask him if he thinks sid's had one vs more concussions) with some soft tissue damage, and that spinal concussion theory seems unlikely. he said that "chiropracter in LA" (Carrick) may have had some weird therapies that suibjectively helped sid but, again, that it was probably just a concussion.

also mentioned that burk's contract was up with the pens when he was "fired," that he just didnt have his contract renewed. troy crosby was the one to push hard for a new medical staff, and i pushed him further asking if troy was involved/interfered alot with the pens and he said no, that the only instance he knew of troy getting involved with the pens was when the medical staff was due for a new contract. had positive things to say about troy and said he's definitely not meddling.

once again said sid was good but nervous guy. he would get about 3 second opinions for everything, medical and non-medical. seems like a product of having a lot of people in his camp and having microphones shoved in his face since he was ten. he thinks the pressure the past few years has been getting to sid somewhat, that the lack of success recently is bothering him. he said the oft-repeated line that sid could use a vocal veteran like guerin/dupuis to take some of the leadership of off sid, which made me cringe a bit. but dismissed the idea that sid would want out of pittsburgh. aside from the above, nothing but glowing remarks about sid.

he also said he thinks sid/locker room miss dupuis, that he was the sort of guy who would simply and sternly tell players to knock of dumb penalties, that he had a lot of credibility in the lockerroom. he compared/contrasted dupuis with roberts and tocchet, who had a similar sort of role but they would swear and scream and flip out on people. he said roberts would cuss you out about taking a bad penalty, he didnt care who or how many people were in the room. tocchet was similar, he flipped out on people when they were undisciplined, that in addition to swearing, players would be afraid tocchet was going to fight them. he said tocchet would "fight his own mother if it would help the team." he said both tocchet/robrets were effective because they were respected players and practiced most of what they preached. he said barnaby tried to do similar things with getting in peoples faces about discipline but then he would go do something stupid himself so the lockerroom didnt listen/respect him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It is simple Pens leaned on two super stars and they milked that for years. Now they have to actually make real hockey decisions as to draft, development and smart player roster decisions. Who is going to do that? Mario, JR, the three amigos, the political smoozer CEO? Not clear. What I do see is the bloom is off the rose here and playoff tickets and next years season ticket base and waiting list are heading south

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
It is simple Pens leaned on two super stars and they milked that for years. Now they have to actually make real hockey decisions as to draft, development and smart player roster decisions. Who is going to do that? Mario, JR, the three amigos, the political smoozer CEO? Not clear. What I do see is the bloom is off the rose here and playoff tickets and next years season ticket base and waiting list are heading south

Did I hear right that 40% of the tickets for the Pens next two playoff games were sold to NJ or NY folks. If so, it shows how Pi_____ off Pens fans are.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I've been saying, boos and harsh words aren't gonna make a damn bit of difference to the powers that be. This organization's gonna take notice and change when people stop shelling out money for their product.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Did I hear right that 40% of the tickets for the Pens next two playoff games were sold to NJ or NY folks. If so, it shows how Pi_____ off Pens fans are.

Sounds high but wouldn't surprise me. It is a rational response by the fan base to what the Pens have been doing. Not losing, but worse, refusing to cut ties with the real problems.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/8190181-74/penguins-tickets-game

About 500 tickets remain for Monday's Game 3 against the New York Rangers at Consol Energy Center and nearly 1,000 for Game 4 on Wednesday, said Tom McMillan, Penguins vice president of communications.

“We still believe we're one of the strongest brands in the NHL and one of the strongest brands in sports, in one of the best markets in sports,†CEO and President David Morehouse said. “However, given the challenges this season, selling playoff tickets required a little more creativity.â€

SeatGeek analyst Connor Gregoire said about 2,000 tickets for Games 3 and 4 purchased earlier by fans were available on his company's website, starting at $73.

While the number of tickets is not unusual, Gregoire said, the lower prices reflect a drastic difference from prices of Penguins playoff tickets from last year's opening-round series against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Gregoire said tickets on the secondary market for that series started at $123.

The $73 price tag on SeatGeek is more than 10 percent below the face value of $82.25

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
It's something that needs a thread of it's own. We have had a year to live up to words. Is it time to blame ownership? Do you think they've done a good job? What sey you?

At the time I felt that that interview was just Mario and Ron telling the fans what they wanted to hear. Nothing more. This season has only confirmed that view.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i had another conversation with the person affiliated with the penguins. i was had been reluctant to ask him about sid's concussion but i broached the subject. he was quite willing to discuss it, did not seem sensitive about it at all. he said ideally dr. burk would have recognized sid's injury in the winter classic and held him out, but that the problem, generally speaking, is hockey players are extremely reluctant to admit to injuries. worst of all athletes, he said. "they are afraid to look like p******." sid didnt mention that he was having any problems, and then the hedman hit happened. he didnt assign blame, just said it was a rough situation. he said that was a very stressful time for burk. also said that it was probably just a concussion (forget to ask him if he thinks sid's had one vs more concussions) with some soft tissue damage, and that spinal concussion theory seems unlikely. he said that "chiropracter in LA" (Carrick) may have had some weird therapies that suibjectively helped sid but, again, that it was probably just a concussion.

also mentioned that burk's contract was up with the pens when he was "fired," that he just didnt have his contract renewed. troy crosby was the one to push hard for a new medical staff, and i pushed him further asking if troy was involved/interfered alot with the pens and he said no, that the only instance he knew of troy getting involved with the pens was when the medical staff was due for a new contract. had positive things to say about troy and said he's definitely not meddling.

once again said sid was good but nervous guy. he would get about 3 second opinions for everything, medical and non-medical. seems like a product of having a lot of people in his camp and having microphones shoved in his face since he was ten. he thinks the pressure the past few years has been getting to sid somewhat, that the lack of success recently is bothering him. he said the oft-repeated line that sid could use a vocal veteran like guerin/dupuis to take some of the leadership of off sid, which made me cringe a bit. but dismissed the idea that sid would want out of pittsburgh. aside from the above, nothing but glowing remarks about sid.

he also said he thinks sid/locker room miss dupuis, that he was the sort of guy who would simply and sternly tell players to knock of dumb penalties, that he had a lot of credibility in the lockerroom. he compared/contrasted dupuis with roberts and tocchet, who had a similar sort of role but they would swear and scream and flip out on people. he said roberts would cuss you out about taking a bad penalty, he didnt care who or how many people were in the room. tocchet was similar, he flipped out on people when they were undisciplined, that in addition to swearing, players would be afraid tocchet was going to fight them. he said tocchet would "fight his own mother if it would help the team." he said both tocchet/robrets were effective because they were respected players and practiced most of what they preached. he said barnaby tried to do similar things with getting in peoples faces about discipline but then he would go do something stupid himself so the lockerroom didnt listen/respect him.

asked him about fleury, said he was class act, very unassuming. outside of the arena he is very quiet and respectful to everyone, very very nice to the support staff. he eats cereal before every game and people always give him crap for not eating fleury flakes, but he says fleury flakes are for fun and are not appropriate pre-game food.

also apparently quotes ricky bobby all the time (have not seen the movie) and says to everyone when he stops a shot "you may be fast ricky bobby but i am faster," i guess stealing a line from a french guy who looks/sounds like fleury.

he reiterated that max was the all-time nicest guy in the organization since mario was drafted.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007

so sick of hearing about leadership and veterans. This team needs better hockey players.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Thanks for posting TtEoT, interesting information there.

I agree with the thought that a veteran vocal leader who could take on a lot of the off-ice responsibilities is something that could help Sid out. It's definitely worn on Sid to have maximum responsibility and expectations for his whole life. He's dealt with it well and seems like the kind of guy who feels obligated to do whatever he's required in a professional way, but I think it would do him some serious good to be able to just focus on hockey. It'll never happen, but he could sure use it.

Glad to read that about Max.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
lol @ people blaming Lemieux....brings 2 cups, saves the team from bankruptcy and moving then lives long enough to become the villain. Nice. :naughty:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
lol @ people blaming Lemieux....brings 2 cups, saves the team from bankruptcy and moving then lives long enough to become the villain. Nice. :naughty:

If their goal is to win another Cup, they're failing big time. Mario has earned the right to run this franchise how he sees fit. Doesn't mean we can't criticize how he does it.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
If their goal is to win another Cup, they're failing big time. Mario has earned the right to run this franchise how he sees fit. Doesn't mean we can't criticize how he does it.

Yeah, I don't really see Mario micromanaging things going that well either. If anything, he keeps too far a distance. I think all the evidence points to a problem with Morehouse and making the right hire at GM. No good GM (less a really good up and comer, maybe) is going to want to report to Morehouse.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

It's ultimately Lemieux's responsibility. He is the owner. If he's happy with the way things have gone since the Cup in '09--and it appears as though he is, considering nothing's changed for the better since--then it's his fault the team's been allowed to crash and burn this hard. Fair or not, that's the way it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad