#OReillyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0ngr31

Did the Hawks and the Kings have the same problems with such an ego player like ROR?
They should all stick together and build a championship team. That would be more
fun than an extra 500k bugs in my opinion.

Doughty

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's a big deal whether or not they can trade him before the ruling.

If things don't go anywhere in negotiations again, he may not want to sign long term no matter what. Even if they come to him with the number he wants. For fear of a sign and trade to a team he doesn't get to choose.

He'll probably just take the arbitration and wait for a likely trade and/or UFA to choose his next team.

It would basically work where the team he is getting traded to would work out a deal, and then he would be traded to them. The only concern if he can't be traded pending arbitration is if he would refuse to sign the the ideal trade partner (say Columbus for arguments sake).

Sign and trade have happened eventhough they are fairly rare. It could easily be the same situation here.

That said, McKenzie didn't mention anything about not being able to be traded, so who knows if there is really that stipulation anymore.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It would basically work where the team he is getting traded to would work out a deal, and then he would be traded to them. The only concern if he can't be traded pending arbitration is if he would refuse to sign the the ideal trade partner (say Columbus for arguments sake).

Sign and trade have happened eventhough they are fairly rare. It could easily be the same situation here.

That said, McKenzie didn't mention anything about not being able to be traded, so who knows if there is really that stipulation anymore.

when has sign and trade happened in situation like this?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
when has sign and trade happened in situation like this?

It's a unique situation because of the offer sheet. RFAs don't have a $6.5M qualifying offer coming out of a bridge deal.

So since this is a unusual situation, it may require Avs using an unusual solution to solve it. Ie, agree to whatever demand O'Reilly has on a long term deal and then ship him out. They don't need O'Reilly's approval to do it. It's probably easier not to seek it, seeing as how stubborn a young man he is and how willing he and his agent are when it comes to ****ing things up.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Adrian Dater @adater · 37s
Sakic: "We're still trying to sign Ryan. He's part of our core"

Stig

Apr 15, 2014
Minnesota
Adrian Dater @adater · 37s
Sakic: "We're still trying to sign Ryan. He's part of our core"

Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche · 1m
"We have a structure here, and we believe in taking care of our core guys, and (@Ryan_OReilly90) and Paul are part of that," - Sakic #Avs

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Drew Spevak ‏@DrewSpevak 13s
Sakic: We just have a different point of view on the starting point with ROR

Does not sound good IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Adrian Dater @adater
Sakic: "Our intention is to have Ryan a Colorado Avalanche for a long time"

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
We already knew that. O'Reilly's camp wanted to start from the QO number and the Avs wanted to start from the theoretical arbitration number.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It really sounds like we're pushing for close to 5M though, which is ridiculous.
I think that's jumping to a pretty big conclusion, considering what they paid Landy and Duchene. It's likely that ROR's camp is just stuck at 6.5M. The Avs know arb won't lower his salary below 5.5M, so no point starting below that.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Honestly I'm pretty optimistic about this. Given the assumed starting positions of the two parties, they're less than $1M apart.

I bet we don't hear a thing until they start talks with Stastny though. If I'm the Avs, I view Stastny as a much more transparent negotiation and I'll probably know how much money I have left for forwards much faster by talking to him first. I think they figure out pretty quickly if Stastny is coming back (and for how much), and negotiate accordingly with ROR.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think that's jumping to a pretty big conclusion, considering what they paid Landy and Duchene. It's likely that ROR's camp is just stuck at 6.5M. The Avs know arb won't lower his salary below 5.5M, so no point starting below that.

This... Both parties know the low end of the salary, and that is where things start from the Avs perspective.

I'd guess they will offer something in the 5.75-5.9 for 5-7 years as their final offer to ROR.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado

Ah my bad. Forgot about the minimum arbitration price. I'd have to agree then, that I think we could should be able to get long-term deal done. Common sense says it should end up something around 6. But I'm worried that they heavily believe in the "duchene cap" and won't go above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad