Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Previous Thread

MOD WARNING from last Thread

This seems to be a sensitive subject, there will be NO TOLERANCE for Flaming/Trolling. Those who break that rule will be subject to a Thread Ban and Infraction

What we know so far:

The Avs have filed for Team Elected Arbitration, they can still work out a deal before the Arbitration date. No concrete information has been verified that negotiations have began in earnest yet (nothing has been said one way or another besides Morris commenting that they are "not close to a deal at this time")

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'll repost what I said in the last thread. A prediction of sorts.

I'm more in the camp of this is typical Newport BS vs an irreparable relationship. I understand the situation is a bit unique but I think ultimately he stays. It's going to take 6 weeks of posturing, complete horse crap garbage, empty words, threats, headaches and he'll emerge with a contract worth 250k more than he would have received today.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Trade him. We need a top 2 dman and he is the best way to get it. The bonus is that we wouldn't have to deal with his contract stuff anymore.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I really want O'Reilly to stay, he's a great player and would be a big part of the team. If I was management I'd offer him 5.75 for 4-6 years, then 6 for 4-6, then 6.25 for 5-6, then 6.5 for 6 years (more term for more money) anything more than that then it's time to trade him for D help. I really want him here and I think 6.5 million is worth it. But if him and his agents won't go for anything less than 7 million then it's time for him to go because he's truly about himself and not his team.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
nothing groundbreaking in that podcast (so far at least).

dater thinks avs are going to wait out a bit and see how this plays out. avs will keep negotiating and make their long-term offer, which will be 'take it or leave it' offer. if ROR says no, they will go to arbitration.

and which leads to ROR getting pissed and likely traded, soon.

stastny stuff should come soon, will update this post once it comes up.

''a lot of people still think avs have internal salary cap and no one will make more than matt duchene''. says they will ask more on that in press conference tomorrow.

not much more on ROR except same talk and speculation we've had here.

stastny stuff coming up now.

dater 'all i know is avs are quietly optimistic they'll be able to re-sign stastny'. mentions bobby mac's report and says we will know more tomorrow.

thinks avs won't let stastny walk for nothing, he'll be re-signed.

but says stastny might say no, screw it, you had your chance, i go to st. louis', he's born there, mysterious guy.

marek says armstrong is looking to shake things up with blues RE: center position and stastny is one option.

seems like that's about it.

i got the feeling that he doesn't have much inside info and is mostly speculating. marek doesn't know more than us. dater mentioned the press conference tomorrow couple of times and how they'll know more after that.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I hate hearing about the "No one can make more than Matt Duchene" line of thinking...because as the Cap increases if they want to keep and re-sign their better players or attract UFA's at some point they're going to HAVE to go above $6M...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For all of the talk that Matt Duchene "did right by the team" when taking a bridge deal (and Duchene is one of my favorite players on the team, not meaning this to slight him at all) surely he would understand that at some point others will make more than him on the team.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
For all of the talk that Matt Duchene "did right by the team" when taking a bridge deal (and Duchene is one of my favorite players on the team, not meaning this to slight him at all) surely he would understand that at some point others will make more than him on the team.

I think all that "no one makes more than Duchene" stuff is a bunch of nonsense. Just because no one does now doesn't mean that they're going to just steadfastly refuse to ever pay anyone more than him. If MacKinnon continues on his path and EJ cements himself as a true #1, they're not going to have a choice.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He probably does understand that. I don't think this is a Duchene issue.

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
nothing groundbreaking in that podcast (so far at least).

dater thinks avs are going to wait out a bit and see how this plays out. avs will keep negotiating and make their long-term offer, which will be 'take it or leave it' offer. if ROR says no, they will go to arbitration.

and which leads to ROR getting pissed and likely traded, soon.

stastny stuff should come soon, will update this post once it comes up.

''a lot of people still think avs have internal salary cap and no one will make more than matt duchene''. says they will ask more on that in press conference tomorrow.

not much more on ROR except same talk and speculation we've had here.

stastny stuff coming up now.

dater 'all i know is avs are quietly optimistic they'll be able to re-sign stastny'. mentions bobby mac's report and says we will know more tomorrow.

thinks avs won't let stastny walk for nothing, he'll be re-signed.

but says stastny might say no, screw it, you had your chance, i go to st. louis', he's born there, mysterious guy.

marek says armstrong is looking to shake things up with blues RE: center position and stastny is one option.

seems like that's about it.

i got the feeling that he doesn't have much inside info and is mostly speculating. marek doesn't know more than us. dater mentioned the press conference tomorrow couple of times and how they'll know more after that.

Again, Dater with incorrect information. Stastny is born in Québec City, lived here for 4 years and a couple of months before Peter was traded to New Jersey.

Peter finished his career in St-Louis where Paul was raised.

St-Louis is Paul Stastny's hometown, not where he was born, as almost everybody on this board knows.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I hate hearing about the "No one can make more than Matt Duchene" line of thinking...because as the Cap increases if they want to keep and re-sign their better players or attract UFA's at some point they're going to HAVE to go above $6M...

As soon as someone comes along that is better than Matt Duchene, most likely MacK in a couple years, then the Avs will pay more. Ryan O'Reilly is not better than Duchene. Duchene will be a ppg player in this league, probable top 10 scorer, elite skater, ect. What kind of season does ROR have without Duchene setting him up? How did Minnesota like playing against ROR with Duchene out of the lineup? How did Stastny, Landy, and MacK like it when they were carrying us with little to no help? The internal Duchene ceiling is fine until someone proves they are better.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

It's not a Duchene thing. It's a potential Avs one.
On one hand it makes sense. You can say "This is the best player on our team and he makes the most money. If you want more than you need to outplay him."
On the other hand, it isn't likely to hold up for long as the salary cap goes up and Duchene did take a kind of team friendly deal.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Again, Dater with incorrect information. Stastny is born in Québec City, lived here for 4 years and a couple of months before Peter was traded to New Jersey.

Peter finished his career in St-Louis where Paul was raised.

St-Louis is Paul Stastny's hometown, not where he was born, as almost everybody on this board knows.

i listened to it again to double check and dater says 'i know he's born in st. louis and loves st. louis, who knows, maybe he wants to be st louis blue'.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ok, I caved, This one was better than the one from the other night.

The "nobody makes more than Duchene" is all Dater's speculation. Hopefully he just flat out asks Roy about it so they can put it to bed. However then they both agreed that O'Reilly isn't worth more than Duchene. Marek's point was the agent is going to ask for more because the cap will go up, as in pay me what I'm worth when the cap is at $80 but do it today. (To which I say then everyone has the right to ask to be paid for what they will be worth in 5 years but they don't).

Dater seems to have calmed down slightly from the "trade O'Reilly tomorrow" stance. He thinks they'll keep negotiating and if they get through the actual arbitration then they'll trade him then (I agree with this). They both don't understand why the Avs would be so cheap after such a good year and why mess things up (even though neither have any idea what the Avs have offered to pay thus far) but they also agree that if O'Reilly made the bold move to do the offer sheet last time then its time to put on your big boy pants and not whine about what the team has to do in response.

On Stastny they both think he will stay. Marek says he fits well on the Avs and wouldn't be the best fit for the Leafs as much as they'd love to have him. The Blues are going to aggressively look for a center but it may be in a trade (Kesler, Spezza, Thornton) and he would look for there to be a lot of action at the draft. One thing he heard is St Louis might send back Oshie for Kesler. (If St Louis is Stastny's "hometown" then why is he STILL in Denver right now?).

Actually pretty funny part where Dater compliments Marek on his hockey passion and knowledge and Marek goes on about the day he loses passion then he's going to quit and he hates those people who hang on just because its a job. Dater kind of hems and haws after that.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
yeah and they also think that this sends little awkward message, how avs were while ago accused of being cheap and here they are at it again, looking to save couple of hundred thousand bucks, dater mentions avs low payroll this past season.

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
i listened to it again to double check and dater says 'i know he's born in st. louis and loves st. louis, who knows?'

Thanks. I am not surprised to say the least. :laugh:

I mean, he just has to check the Avs website: Paul Stastny , born on Dec 27, 1985, in Québec City.

But, that extra work...:shakehead :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
yeah and they also think that this sends little awkward message, how avs were while ago accused of being cheap and here they are at it again, looking to save couple of hundred thousand bucks, dater mentions avs low payroll this past season.

I absolutely hate when he does that because. a) this is not the NBA/MLB and that all franchises are within ~10 million of each other (save for maybe Buffalo who is hoarding draft picks anyway) b) the Avs are already guaranteed to not be 28th because the trio of Duchene, Varly and Landy are already making 10 million more than they did last year and its the SAME players. c) the reason why they had a lower payroll is to not overpay like morons to people like Clarkson and put themselves in a position to need buyouts and to abuse LTIR.

Now obviously its what are they going to do with that savings remains to be seen. If we find out the Avs are being cheap then I'll change my opinion but nobody has any idea what the Avs want to pay O'Reilly or what they are asking for. And we do have evidence with those contracts handed out to Landy and Varly especially that were fair and generous.

Oh and Dater brought up the whole "leave their FAs hangining" bit. Well they didn't need to sign Duchene, Landy, Varly, Mitchell, Berra but they did. And they wanted to sign Stastny at the deadline and they already made him an offer. What else are they supposed to do? What players around the league have signed thus far? A few backup goalies and ancient guys on one year contracts. Yeah, the Avs are lagging behind.

I understand filing is not good PR, and thats probably what the press conference is about tomorrow. But there was a deadline for them to file, they had to do it. Even if they were already talking there is no way in hell Newport was agreeing to anything with that much time remaining. If anything its a problem with the rule that leads to misleading circumstances.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
For all this talk about Duchene, the list of 'NHL' players with cap hits around 6M is a long one, and by no means is O'Reilly the best player on that list.

Landeskog & Benn are not even on the list either.

I've posted it before but here it is again :

Lcomp.jpg

I maintain that he is going to have a really difficult time convincing anyone he should make 6.5M per year. Colorado's case will include two of their own players around the same age as well. Hell he sits 5th in our own player rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad