Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
IF Buffalo gets the #1 pick ( ha ha), would the Blues be interested in a trade with Reinhart and Schwartz being the two primary pieces? Imo, Reinharts talent is being wasted playing wing, and with Dahlin added to the D, Buffalo could use a speedy winger more then a center playing wing. What would it take?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
IF Buffalo gets the #1 pick ( ha ha), would the Blues be interested in a trade with Reinhart and Schwartz being the two primary pieces? Imo, Reinharts talent is being wasted playing wing, and with Dahlin added to the D, Buffalo could use a speedy winger more then a center playing wing. What would it take?
No, because Schwartz is and will most likely always be a better player then Reinhart. Blues aren't looking to get slower.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
We just don't have the group of defensemen that allows us to trade one of our more valuable guys. If you move him, our defensive core is no longer a strength.
I think Edmundson & Dunn are definitely good pieces to build around Pietrangelo and we currently have the depth at the position to cope for at least a season. I never said Parayko for O'Rielly straight up is the move. I never included him in this deal actually. Ideally we'd receive a RHD in return if we were to package him. It would need to be addressed but I think solid D-men are easier to acquire on the market. I just don't think there's just one way to build this St Louis team up to contender. If you look back before we had Parayko we were still a top defensive team. Its a tricky game but I you need to give to get. We obviously disagree on this which is fine but I just don't like Parayko's current trajectory and think maximizing his value at the right time could give us the forward core we need to contend

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Schwartz along with Pietrangelo was our best player this past season. We'd need strong incentive to move him. Reinhart moves the needle, but not enough. Even if Reinhart would stick at center like Schenn did, I don't like the idea of having 2 poor faceoff centers in the top 6.

Reactions: 67Blues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Edmundson & Dunn are definitely good pieces to build around Pietrangelo and we currently have the depth at the position to cope for at least a season. I never said Parayko for O'Rielly straight up is the move. I never included him in this deal actually. Ideally we'd receive a RHD in return if we were to package him. It would need to be addressed but I think solid D-men are easier to acquire on the market. I just don't think there's just one way to build this St Louis team up to contender. If you look back before we had Parayko we were still a top defensive team. Its a tricky game but I you need to give to get. We obviously disagree on this which is fine but I just don't like Parayko's current trajectory and I think maximizing his value at the right time could give us the forward core we need to contend

If Dunn develops a bit more, then I'd be more open to moving a defenseman. If you move Parayko and Dunn stagnates, then you are in trouble. You need a complete roster to win a Cup. If we move Parayko/Dunn/Edmundson/Petro, we'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Buffalo isn't doing any team a favor by taking on a cap dump just because they'd have the cap space to do so.
I don't see a fit between these two clubs for ROR. Dallas could certainly use him, but they don't have the good young defenseman available that Buffalo would need in return.

I wasn't saying Buffalo should do the trade in the OP, they shouldn't. That wasn't the point.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
We wouldn't want Spezza he has negative value and would have to give extra just to take him.

ROR for Honka, Faksa, Spezza +1st

The first is for taking Spezza.
Spezza would be to even out the cap. He is also done in a year, there is no way Dallas would add a first just put Spezza in the deal.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I would love O'Reilly. Something like Honka + 2018 first + Spezza for cap balance + maybe something else not too big.

Trade done one draft day so Dallas PR can keep the action for the draft

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think Edmundson & Dunn are definitely good pieces to build around Pietrangelo and we currently have the depth at the position to cope for at least a season. I never said Parayko for O'Rielly straight up is the move. I never included him in this deal actually. Ideally we'd receive a RHD in return if we were to package him. It would need to be addressed but I think solid D-men are easier to acquire on the market. I just don't think there's just one way to build this St Louis team up to contender. If you look back before we had Parayko we were still a top defensive team. Its a tricky game but I you need to give to get. We obviously disagree on this which is fine but I just don't like Parayko's current trajectory and think maximizing his value at the right time could give us the forward core we need to contend
That's because we had Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Blues have always had a stacked right side

Reactions: 67Blues

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
They'd need to add something, but a first for spezza seems out of line.
Really dont think they would. Trading for O'Reilly is adding 7.5 in cap. Not many teams that want to compete can just add that much cap in a trade. We just happen to have an equal cap player that expires in a year and can still play semi decently. Its quite literally the perfect way to even out the cap.

If Spezza had term left I would agree but this would be the simplest way to make a ROR trade work

WildThingRickVaughn

Apr 7, 2016
That's not an overpayment for O'Reilly. That offer is garbage.

It might be an overpayment for Dallas, but a prospect who could be in the NHL next year in Hintz (or Tufte), a young defenseman with upside in Honka, and a young middle six forward like Shore with a conditional first or second in 2019 is a fair offer O'Reilly, and it's in the ballpark of what Buffalo paid for him, and it's actually more than what Buffalo paid for him in Colorado.Neither of those guys are Heiskanen or Klinberg, and although ROR has a ton of value, he's not quite on that level to get one of those guys straight up.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Yep and Shatty was not the greatest of defenders. Yet the team was still more than solid defensively.

Did great things for us offensively but Dunn seems to be a guy capable of providing offensive punch.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Schwartz along with Pietrangelo was our best player this past season. We'd need strong incentive to move him. Reinhart moves the needle, but not enough. Even if Reinhart would stick at center like Schenn did, I don't like the idea of having 2 poor faceoff centers in the top 6.

Just wanted to see if there was anything there. I know Tarasenko's off limits but maybe there might be a chance at getting a pure winger into the top 6.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yep and Shatty was not the greatest of defenders. Yet the team was still more than solid defensively.

Did great things for us offensively but Dunn seems to be a guy capable of providing offensive punch.
They were solid because of Hitchcock, he made a terrible Dallas team solid this year.

Blues should not be looking to move any of the top 4. Blues have enough currency in futures to get what they need.

WildThingRickVaughn

Apr 7, 2016
Really dont think they would. Trading for O'Reilly is adding 7.5 in cap. Not many teams that want to compete can just add that much cap in a trade. We just happen to have an equal cap player that expires in a year and can still play semi decently. Its quite literally the perfect way to even out the cap.

If Spezza had term left I would agree but this would be the simplest way to make a ROR trade work

Spezza would also have to agree as well, but maybe its an arrangement where he agrees to be traded if Buffalo buys him out, putting the 2.5 million cap hit on Buffalo instead of Dallas for the final 2 years making him a free agent.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I would love O'Reilly. Something like Honka + 2018 first + Spezza for cap balance + maybe something else not too big.

Trade done one draft day so Dallas PR can keep the action for the draft

Why would Buffalo trade 5 years of proven 1st line center play.... for a few assets that very likely amount to nothing?

ROR is not a rental... he cannot be had for Prospect, Pick, and Filler returns.

He only goes in a hockey trade.

1st line center for 1st pair D.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I don't recall ever seeing geographic location of the draft ever being a factor on whether or not the host city/team trades a pick. I'm a Stars fan. Unless they win the lotto, I prefer that they trade the pick. Give me an established, second line center over some kid who will likely be another bust in 2022.

And yes, I know ROR will likely cost more than just a 13oa pick.

Galiardi himself said in an interview they would try to hold on to 2018 picks if possible because the draft is in Dallas. He didnt say he would never trade one but he 100% hinted to the fact that it seems to be a strong PR move to keep the pick when the draft is in your city. That could be to make the selection or to make a draft day trade but the fact is he wanted to hold on to the 2018 picks for the time being

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Fixed your post for you.

Edit; and no, while being a great defensive center that can produce, he's still not worth an elite 1D on an incredible contract.

Name one forward who has played more minutes per game over the last 3 years than ROR.

1st line center.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
They were solid because of Hitchcock, he made a terrible Dallas team solid this year.

Blues should not be looking to move any of the top 4. Blues have enough currency in futures to get what they need.

Yeo's has had very good defensive teams as well but his teams cant score. I don't think Parayko has been only the only reason the Blues have remained a top defensive club since Hitch left. Its their identity regardless. They are still one of the most structured teams in hockey without Hitch.

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Am I missing something here? I think there is some serious undervaluing of ROR here. He is in my books passable 1C with very strong two way game. He'd be amazing 2C for Stars. You don't think about losing Faksa in that kind of scenario where you can obtain a second 1C (albeit a low level 1C) for your team.

Having ROR to take hard defensive match ups and letting Benn & Seguin feast on easier competition? Sounds dangerous.

Reactions: Punished ROR

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
It might be an overpayment for Dallas, but a prospect who could be in the NHL next year in Hintz (or Tufte), a young defenseman with upside in Honka, and a young middle six forward like Shore with a conditional first or second in 2019 is a fair offer O'Reilly, and it's in the ballpark of what Buffalo paid for him, and it's actually more than what Buffalo paid for him in Colorado.Neither of those guys are Heiskanen or Klinberg, and although ROR has a ton of value, he's not quite on that level to get one of those guys straight up.
I don't think it's an overpayment by Dallas at all. It's a winger prospect that's at best a coin flip to become a top 6 player. A middle six 30 point forward in Shore (pretty much more meh) and a defenseman prospect that probably has no more than a 2nd pairing ceiling. A conditional pick doesn't mean jack shit either. It's really just a grab bag of ok assets, not anything I'd trade a 1st line center with 5 years of control for.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Age / Cap / Term
ROR 27 / 7.5 / 5
Toews 29 / 10.5 / 5
Bergeron 31 / 7.25 / 3 yrs

Last 3 years:

Points / Pts per game
ROR : 176 / 0.79
Toews : 168 / 0.74
Bergeon : 184 / 0.83

ES Points
ROR : 100 / 0.45
Toews : 123 / 0.54
Bergeon : 112 / 0.50

Faceoffs Taken / League Rank / Faceoff % & League Rank (Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 5727 / #1 58.3% / #2
Toews : 4678 / #8 57.1% / #8
Bergeon : 5158 / #4 58.2% / #3

Takeaways / League Rank / TK/GV Ratio(Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 170 / #10 / (+76)
Toews : 147 / #23 / (+40)
Bergeon : 187 / #4 / (+88)

Blocked Shots (Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 136 / #22
Toews : 94 / #64
Bergeon : 145 / #18

TOI / League rank (Centers Min 140 Games)
ROR : 21:18 / #1
Toews : 19:40 / #14
Bergeon : 19:34 / #17

SH TOI / League Rank (Centers Min 140 Games)
ROR : 1:58 / #22
Toews : 1:28 / #57
Bergeon : 2:04 / #17

Hopefull that brings some context to Ryan O'reilly's value.... He's a younger Bergeron/Toews level player... on a shitty team

Reactions: Grabner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad