Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The speculation is that he could be had for an over-payment. What's his value and what would it take to get him out of Buffalo?
Unfortunately we've already been over this. All you'll get are fans offering 3 quarters for a dollar. No one wants to offer a good young defenseman with term straight across for O'Reilly and that's all he should be traded for.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The speculation is that he could be had for an over-payment. What's his value and what would it take to get him out of Buffalo?
What team is asking?

FWIW, someone suggested he was a buyout candidate recently, so I wouldn't necessarily expect a great discussion coming your way.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
LOL. Buy out candidate.

The thread title is 'value of'. Doesn't mean what would you give up - it's what is his value. For instance, at one point Botterill was rumored to want a return for Kane of a roster player, an A prospect, and a first rounder. He was slapped around and only got a grade B prospect, and a conditional 2nd.

Would ROR have the same expectation for a return - maybe more considering he is under contract? Roster player, Grade A prospect, and high picks?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Age / Cap / Term
ROR 27 / 7.5 / 5
Toews 29 / 10.5 / 5
Bergeron 31 / 7.25 / 3 yrs

Last 3 years:

Points / Pts per game
ROR : 174 / 0.78
Toews : 168 / 0.74
Bergeon : 182 / 0.82

ES Points
ROR : 100 / 0.45
Toews : 123 / 0.54
Bergeon : 112 / 0.50

Faceoffs Taken / League Rank / Faceoff % & League Rank (Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 5664 / #1 58.3% / #2
Toews : 4678 / #8 58.2% / #3
Bergeon : 5105 / #4 57.9% / #7

Takeaways / League Rank / TK/GV Ratio(Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 168 / #9 / (+75)
Toews : 147 / #19 / (+40)
Bergeon : 184 / #4 / (+98)

Blocked Shots (Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 136 / #22
Toews : 94 / #64
Bergeon : 145 / #17

TOI / League rank (Centers Min 140 Games)
ROR : 21:18 / #1
Toews : 19:40 / #13
Bergeon : 19:34 / #17

SH TOI / League Rank (Centers Min 140 Games)
ROR : 1:58 / #22
Toews : 1:28 / #57
Bergeon : 2:04 / #17

Hopefull that brings some context to Ryan O'reilly's value....

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Perhaps something around O’Reilly to Minnesota for Dumba?

I feel like he’s the prototype defenseman that Housley wants.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Spurgeon? He might be older than Sabres fans would like, but he's only about a year older than O'Reilly and has proven to compliment Scandella very well. He should be a top pairing defenseman for the next 5 years pretty easily.

The question for the Wild would be if we're not addressing one need by creating an even bigger one. I'm back and forth on it, personally.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
His value should be nothing short of a similarly aged, similarly proven defenseman.

And i only trade him for that since the Sabres so desperately need help on the Blue line.

He's a very under rated player IMO even by a lot of Sabres fans. I'd trade any Sabre before him save for Eichel.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Off topic but would Sam Reinhart be available for the right price in Buffalo?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

No interest in moving him unless for a similar age-potential dman. The comparison that had been discussed adnaseum was for a guy like hanifan. While the value might be skewed towards buffalo in that case you're also asking for Reinhart at a bad time when he's coming off a stretch of basically ppg hockey where his value to sabres fans might be at its highest. Bad time to ask I guess...

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

Everyone is available except Eichel for sure.

But the "right price" I'm sure will differ here. Reality is, he is our ONLY top-6 winger, just had a 25+25 season despite a brutal start (I believe 37 points in the last 37 games to acheive this) AND he fits into our core age group. We would need a young top-4 D back I assume.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Man its only the first page and someone just referred to ROR as a buyout candidate. Hes arguably in the top 2-3 for 2 way Center man in the game and is only 27. Signed reasonably compared to some deals for 5 more seasons.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
LOL. Buy out candidate.

The thread title is 'value of'. Doesn't mean what would you give up - it's what is his value. For instance, at one point Botterill was rumored to want a return for Kane of a roster player, an A prospect, and a first rounder. He was slapped around and only got a grade B prospect, and a conditional 2nd.

Would ROR have the same expectation for a return - maybe more considering he is under contract? Roster player, Grade A prospect, and high picks?

wrong, he got a B-prospect, a 2nd and a 1st if kane resigns

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Spurgeon? He might be older than Sabres fans would like, but he's only about a year older than O'Reilly and has proven to compliment Scandella very well. He should be a top pairing defenseman for the next 5 years pretty easily.

The question for the Wild would be if we're not addressing one need by creating an even bigger one. I'm back and forth on it, personally.

How about Brodin

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How about Brodin
Maybe? I dunno, this whole Suter injury thing has really shaken my resolve to consider trading any of our defensemen :laugh: From where I'm sitting Spurgeon would probably do the Sabres more good, but if I wanted O'Reilly and they asked for Brodin I wouldn't hang up or anything.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Maybe? I dunno, this whole Suter injury thing has really shaken my resolve to consider trading any of our defensemen :laugh: From where I'm sitting Spurgeon would probably do the Sabres more good, but if I wanted O'Reilly and they asked for Brodin I wouldn't hang up or anything.

The sabres and wild need to stop trading with eachother lol.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Just like Brodin's age and the extra year of term.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Agreed, honestly.

The net positive of all our trades together hinges on the wild doing anything this year because of foligno and Ennis lol. That being said I'm sure the wild would trade both guys for scandella right now going into the playoffa. Trades between us have led to a lot of spinning wheels.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
How about Brodin
If your looking for a steady defensive defenseman to play on that second pair you'd be better served making a big push for Calvin De Haan. He'd cost nothing but cash and you wouldn't open a gaping hole that no one in this organization is anywhere close to being able to fill at this point. Not a slight on Brodin, but I'm aiming a bit higher if I'm moving a guy who scores 60 points a year and does all the other things that O'Reilly does for this team.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
If I'm the Flames I'm going after O'Reilly hard, I'd give up Brodie+Fox. I know Brodie gets a bad rap after a rough couple of seasons but I really think he needs a change of scenery, his wife has had health issues and Gulutzan has all but neutered him here. Buffalo is much closer to his hometown. I believe he can become that top pairing guy we thought we had a couple years ago, and he's only 27. Elite skater, really good offensive sense (multiple 40+ point seasons), has had a lot of brain farts the past couple seasons but I'll assume that his mind has been elsewhere with all that's going on. He's not in a good place right now.

I'm also not convinced Adam Fox wants to sign in Calgary, there are a couple guys ahead of him in the depth chart (Andersson, Valimaki). So if we get the sense he doesn't want to be here, I'd ship him out. He's also from NY state.

I really think the Flames and Sabres can be good trading partners, we're loaded on defence and need to add to our top 6. Honestly I'd throw in Backlund too but not sure if he has a NTC, and Buffalo would have to add a little bit.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
If I'm the Flames I'm going after O'Reilly hard, I'd give up Brodie+Fox. I know Brodie gets a bad rap after a rough couple of seasons but I really think he needs a change of scenery, his wife has had health issues and Gulutzan has all but neutered him here. Buffalo is much closer to his hometown. I believe he can become that top pairing guy we thought we had a couple years ago, and he's only 27. Elite skater, really good offensive sense (multiple 40+ point seasons), has had a lot of brain farts the past couple seasons but I'll assume that his mind has been elsewhere with all that's going on. He's not in a good place right now.

I'm also not convinced Adam Fox wants to sign in Calgary, there are a couple guys ahead of him in the depth chart (Andersson, Valimaki). So if we get the sense he doesn't want to be here, I'd ship him out. He's also from NY state.

I really think the Flames and Sabres can be good trading partners, we're loaded on defence and need to add to our top 6. Honestly I'd throw in Backlund too but not sure if he has a NTC, and Buffalo would have to add a little bit.
Id take that deal. Dont think Buffalo should add anything, even cap retention considering Brodie only has 2 years of control on him and that ROR is the more valuable player anyway- Fox who is an excellent D prospect provides good balance. Of course thats assuming we dont draft Dahlin.

PS: Im working with the assumption Fox would declare clearly to Buffalo that he would actually sign an extension, otherwise this deal is a non-starter for me as his rights expire after next season and its known hes going back to college for 1 more year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->