News Article: Opposing fans treatment at the Bell Centre

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Still doesn't make it right. Takes a special kind of moron to start physical fights or even contact for being a fan of a sports team.

Seriously warped priorities and values. People that do that type of stuff need to be banned for life.

And for people blaming it on alcohol, well if you can't handle your beer, you shouldn't be drinking.

I didn't mean it was right. I just think people need to grow thicker skin, because there are *******s everywhere in life. The only reason this story got press was because it's Montreal and it's the playoffs.

Seriously, 100s of girls were murdered in Nigeria and it got less attention from CBC.

WHY LIE GUY

Nov 28, 2011
Let's be honest, this crap happens every game. The only reason we're hearing about it is because it allegedly happened to 2 girls.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I find this post ironic and sad seeing that you dont live that far from Columbine.

:help:

I can see why you would see irony but not sure what part is sad.

Should we just encourage fans to open carry at sporting events where large quantities of alcohol are consumed? Hopefully, that's not what you imply.

It's not because some insanity happened in CO that we should just invite more violence. Actually, is there a state left that hasn't had some kind of school or other shooting?

Anyway, I'm probably violating some site rule responding to your post. Cheers.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Should we just encourage fans to open carry at sporting events where large quantities of alcohol are consumed? Hopefully, that's not what you imply.

It's not because some insanity happened in CO that we should just invite more violence. Actually, is there a state left that hasn't had some kind of school or other shooting?

Polytechnique massacre happened well before Columbine :(

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

You missed the point. You attempted to present Southern people as some wild eyed gun fiends based on your prejudice. The sad part is that there was a very tragic shooting close to you in Colorad .

I think the point is that there are idiots wherever you go, much as what most of the people have posted on this thread. The big issue is when people allow their misguided preconceived notions to cloud their senses and paint with a broad brush.

No guns allowed in arenas in the South.

Cheers back at you.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You missed the point. You attempted to present Southern people as some wild eyed gun fiends based on your prejudice. The sad part is that there was a very tragic shooting close to you in Colorad .

I think the point is that there are idiots wherever you go, much as what most of the people have posted on this thread. The big issue is when people allow their misguided preconceived notions to cloud their senses and paint with a broad brush.

No guns allowed in arenas in the South.

Cheers back at you.

I mentioned two very specific states that have hockey teams: FL and TX. TX has an open carry movement so it's a legitimate question from a poster to wonder what to expect at a hockey arena in the US.

Rest of your post makes it clear we don't share similar values but at least we root for the same (hockey) team.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Sorry to hear that some stuff happened at the CTC. It happens everywhere, even on Elgin street (Sens mile) where some Hab fans were pretty brutish after Game 2.

It happens with all fanbases so it shouldn't be just a Montreal thing.

What I advise for anyone is to just stick to your seat after the game and wait half an hour to leave. Let the masses go before you head off before you go to your car/bus. That goes for Sens and Hab fans.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
There are only 2 rinks in NA where I wouldn't wear my jersey and feel safe, and yours is for sure one of them. Only place I ever got a beer spilled on me. It's not particularly fun having to look over your shoulder while you watch the game or between periods. Never had that problem in almost any other market. Just how it is.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Unfortuntely like in every building, Ottawa and Montreal have a few idiots who make the rest look bad.

Exactly. And in both cities many are embarrassed by it, as many of you are here. I know that many here did not like that a moment of silence could not be observed in either building, it is highly embarrassing.

I just wish that fans from opposing teams would just cheer for their team and not antagonize the home team fans. Leafs fans are pretty bad, stuck in the glory years of their playoff domination from a decade ago, and still came in droves this year as their team circled the drain.

Montreal fans are not like that when they sucked. They didn't go as many as the Leafs when they suck at the CTC. To me it is no comparison. And I have been a STH from 1996. What I do notice is the "rubbing it in" factor is the worst with the Montreal group, because they are more passionate...or the most passionate crazy fans.

Still, it does not excuse Ottawa fans acting like tools and retaliating/instigating. It's just a freaking hockey game!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I mentioned two very specific states that have hockey teams: FL and TX. TX has an open carry movement so it's a legitimate question from a poster to wonder what to expect at a hockey arena in the US.

Rest of your post makes it clear we don't share similar values but at least we root for the same (hockey) team.

Next time try to omit the prejudicial words "ground zero for insanity" in your post.

It is the same bull **** on this thread where people try to use their prejudice and ignorance to paint Montreal and the Bell Centre with a broad brush for the sake of sensationalism.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Still doesn't make it right. Takes a special kind of moron to start physical fights or even contact for being a fan of a sports team.

Seriously warped priorities and values. People that do that type of stuff need to be banned for life.

And for people blaming it on alcohol, well if you can't handle your beer, you shouldn't be drinking.

Get off your high horse. Its cool to be the morality police on the internet. The reality is, your expectations are 100% unrealistic. The very nature of sports naturally pits fans against other fans. Its 100% normal for people's emotions to escalate and do things they normally wouldn't do.

Secondly, there is such a thing as mob mentality and its real and it happens every where. Montreal is probably the worst for this as we have a long history of riots for sports.

Rscorpio

Epic Meal Time!
Feb 9, 2004
Santiago, Chile
There are only 2 rinks in NA where I wouldn't wear my jersey and feel safe, and yours is for sure one of them. Only place I ever got a beer spilled on me. It's not particularly fun having to look over your shoulder while you watch the game or between periods. Never had that problem in almost any other market. Just how it is.

you're welcome

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I don't know what's going on this year, but there's been an unusually high number of incidents in the Playoffs. The newest one being Orpik hit by beer after the Caps won.

CheerySpiritedHomalocephale.gif

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007

that's probably because you haven't been around much, the bell center is probably one of the most welcoming, safe places to go out and watch a game. The only reason this story got ''some'' attention is because the ''victim'' is a girl and she gets the benefit of the doubt, even if she was, hypothetically, a little ***** yapping around. I don't care about these stories, they won't make me feel bad I know we are way more classy than other big markets, doesn't mean we poke and rage on an internet site that we are bad people.

And im glad that arrogant and violent or verbally abusing traveling fans get their money's worth (again, 10 times less than in say toronto, philadelphia or boston), and that respectfull traveling fans get to enjoy a nice game and a nice rivalry without any problems.

you want to disrespek ? GTFO.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Right back at you. You would have to pay me a tidy sum to wear a Habs sweater to a game in Boston. Went to a game there a few years ago against St. Louis when a friend of mine was playing for the Blues. I didn't stand up when the B's scored and I got a barrage of insults hurled at me, told to "go the ******* back to Quebec, beer spilt in my direction. Lucky for us St. Louis won and I went out for dinner with some of the boys that night :yo:

I think the overarching rule is simply that there are idiots everywhere. If you incite them take the high road. If you see someone acting inappropriately towards someone who is vulnerable, step in, or direct someone who is capable of stepping in to them.

The world has much bigger problems than someone spilling a beer on you, or insulting how you look, dress. Be the bigger man and it will pay off in the long run of your life. It's embarrassing that people are still steeped in neolithic behaviours but it is what it is - there are massive disparities in education and income in the Western world and one of the places that these disparities best manifest themselves is in the spectacle of sport.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
I don't know what happened here, but colour me a little skeptical that a chick with great huge circles around her eyes who looks hungover to s*** did absolutely nothing that would annoy a Habs fan.

I'm not saying she deserved getting beer thrown on her but it's rather interesting the Habs came out and said nobody on the security staff is being disciplined. That tells me that they talked to some of the people working that section and got some stories back that contradicted what she's saying.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
went to Tampa last year for game 2, was 3 rows behind Tampa's bench.

We got the name calling, the looks, told to sit down when habs scored, the "go back to canada", etc etc. You just roll with it.

If you come into an opposing team's building with a different jersey, expect to get some heat, its just the way it is. Man or woman.

And ill say it again, were in the age of instead of standing up for ourselves, we run to social media to get attention and justification.

These two girls got heckled like millions before them, but she created a FB post and got all sorts of media attention and free tickets. Its the "give everyone a trophy" generation.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

We got the name calling, the looks, told to sit down when habs scored, the "go back to canada", etc etc. You just roll with it.

If you come into an opposing team's building with a different jersey, expect to get some heat, its just the way it is. Man or woman.

And ill say it again, were in the age of instead of standing up for ourselves, we run to social media to get attention and justification.

These two girls got heckled like millions before them, but she created a FB post and got all sorts of media attention and free tickets. Its the "give everyone a trophy" generation.

Indeed. Just two pathetic little ***** who victimize themselves. I mean, she took a while to know the towel thing was done on purpose. I can't imagine it being that violent :shakehead

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
It is sad that being said

1976 had to remove our jerseys at MSG
1977 attacked at MSG
1979 attacked at MSG (playoffs)
1978 attacked at Boston Garden
1983 attacked at Quebec City
1985 Car vandalized in Philly slashed tires,shattered windshield,dented hood.........
1986 attacked at Quebec City ( had Nordiques fans come to our aid)

DD51*

The other one is Boston, I guess... :sarcasm:

DD51*

She's got her 15 minutes of fame.... Good for her, and adios.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

People could also stop assaulting each other over sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad