Opposing Announcers? SJS and NSH

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
I have taken to watching opposing announcers recently after the Coyotes game to see what buttons are pushed at certain times for instance-

Nashville- started off complimentary of the Hawks being the elite power house no doubt expecting their to lose however when the game got out of hand the Hawks became very adequate and that made the two in the press box relieved since they felt Chicago's standing was within Nashville's grasp for the future- Whether it was just to hype it to their own fans or it really was their opinion I can only speculate.

San Jose- I've heard a lot about these two being one of the game's best if not THE best due to their more than neutral standing in regards to homer bias and much of it appears to be true but towards the end of the game last night when it seemed to be slipping away from the Sharks their Home guys seemed to get a little testy when Johnny Oduya started shoving guys away from Crawford when they were in the crease after the whistle blew one said something the effect of "Apparently it's okay to shove and punch guys after the whistle" and then later Crawford made another stop and the whistle blew but the Sharks continued slapping at the puck-no big deal- Hawks players came in grabbing players clearing them from Crawford, Sharks announcer "Well apparently no one is allowed to get too close to Corey Crawford according to the Hawks"- Now I don't if it's just me but aren't you a bit of a moron if you don't try to protect your goaltender?

Anyway that's what I took with me from both broadcasts at least as I viewed them from my perspective. also I was wondering if this would interest the board in general if we had an active thread about opposing announcers and their views of the Blackhawks just to have something else to discuss on slow days? If I'm the only one and the idea is stupid go ahead and say so but I think it would be a bit interesting to get a general idea of what the league thinks of us beyond the garden variety media praises for the Hawks accolades.

Nothingman*

I think the SJ guys are good. Of course there will be some homer ism but if the Sharks do something silly they call them on it. They pump opposing tires a little but they know where their check comes from.

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
I think the SJ guys are good. Of course there will be some homer ism but if the Sharks do something silly they call them on it. They pump opposing tires a little but they know where their check comes from.

I don't blame them at all, I wanted to punch someone during the Nashville game so I understand them getting a little worked up and I respect them for being able to stay professional which is why I hold them in much higher esteem than say... The Phoenix crew.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I have taken to watching opposing announcers recently after the Coyotes game to see what buttons are pushed at certain times for instance-

Nashville- started off complimentary of the Hawks being the elite power house no doubt expecting their to lose however when the game got out of hand the Hawks became very adequate and that made the two in the press box relieved since they felt Chicago's standing was within Nashville's grasp for the future- Whether it was just to hype it to their own fans or it really was their opinion I can only speculate.

San Jose- I've heard a lot about these two being one of the game's best if not THE best due to their more than neutral standing in regards to homer bias and much of it appears to be true but towards the end of the game last night when it seemed to be slipping away from the Sharks their Home guys seemed to get a little testy when Johnny Oduya started shoving guys away from Crawford when they were in the crease after the whistle blew one said something the effect of "Apparently it's okay to shove and punch guys after the whistle" and then later Crawford made another stop and the whistle blew but the Sharks continued slapping at the puck-no big deal- Hawks players came in grabbing players clearing them from Crawford, Sharks announcer "Well apparently no one is allowed to get too close to Corey Crawford according to the Hawks"- Now I don't if it's just me but aren't you a bit of a moron if you don't try to protect your goaltender?

Anyway that's what I took with me from both broadcasts at least as I viewed them from my perspective. also I was wondering if this would interest the board in general if we had an active thread about opposing announcers and their views of the Blackhawks just to have something else to discuss on slow days? If I'm the only one and the idea is stupid go ahead and say so but I think it would be a bit interesting to get a general idea of what the league thinks of us beyond the garden variety media praises for the Hawks accolades.

Most of the time they were great, but they got a little homerish in that situation. Technically they may have been right but that's a situation that happens 1-3 times in a given hockey game, and every team does it. If they wanted to gripe about it they needed to generalize and say "I hate this stuff. Guys should be penalized when they start pushing and shoving like that after a play." If they had it would have been fine. Instead they came off like they Hawks were the only team that does it.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Phoenix was flipping horrible to listen to.

Since I have hockeystreams I can chose either feed to listen to. Since I can't stand Eddie I like to listen to the other teams' feed to get a feel for the other booth tandems around the league. I somehow made it through 1 period before I couldn't take it anymore and switched. Tyson Nash is a ****ing idiot; 99% of their fanbase could do a better job than him. He wasn't just a homer, he's simply not an intelligent human being.

I will never watch another Yotes cast. Along with Pitt, StL, and Detwat.

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
Since I have hockeystreams I can chose either feed to listen to. Since I can't stand Eddie I like to listen to the other teams' feed to get a feel for the other booth tandems around the league. I somehow made it through 1 period before I couldn't take it anymore and switched. Tyson Nash is a ****ing idiot; 99% of their fanbase could do a better job than him. He wasn't just a homer, he's simply not an intelligent human being.

I don't mean to contradict you man but 99% is probably educated in hockey by that idiot :laugh:

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago

What's your name on hockeystreams? I'm needbiggerboat.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

From what I have watched on Gamecenter there really aren't that many great announcers out there these days. As crazy as it sounds, I think we should all feel blessed to have Edzo announcing for the Hawks. The organization could do a lot worse.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
I like watching the Sharks guys. Drew Remenda can be a homer like anyone else but what's really amusing about him is that he rarely passes on an opportunity to lay into the officials. Not calling that a bad thing either. I enjoy listening to it.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The colour commentator for the Sharks the other night called the game like a fan.. and both the good and bad of that was on display.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
John Garrett (Canucks colour guy on Rogers Sportsnet Pacific) is brutal. Every goal Luongo let's in "he had no chance on" or every goal they score is a thing of beauty. You won't get to hear him in action this Saturday though as its a HNIC CBC Canadian TV feed. The regular radio guys aren't too bad.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I like the Sharks guys as well. Big fan of the Ducks crew, their color guy is very knowledgeable. Watching Kings games is great, Bob Miller is always a treat.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah I was forced to listen to both those broadcasts for the entire game(s) (dang you Center Ice!) and it was almost enough to make me cancel my subscription!

What you say is very accurate, the Nashville guys where whinny but the color commentator for SJS was over the top with his childish stupidity. I thought their PBP guy tried his best to reel him in at times.

Tough broadcasts to listen to for sure but what was apparent to me was their envy of the perch in which our Hawks have been sitting, and will continue to sit at....which is just fine by me.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I liked the SJ crew a lot. I didn't find their homering anything out of the ordinary. It's a local broadcast, so slanted towards it's own viewers. Nothing different than you'd get with the Chicago broadcasts.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I like the SJ crew a lot as far as opposing crews go. They're an easy listen and when I had the NHL package I'd watch SJ games a lot. Solid crew.

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
Yeah I was forced to listen to both those broadcasts for the entire game(s) (dang you Center Ice!) and it was almost enough to make me cancel my subscription!

What you say is very accurate, the Nashville guys where whinny but the color commentator for SJS was over the top with his childish stupidity. I thought their PBP guy tried his best to reel him in at times.

Tough broadcasts to listen to for sure but what was apparent to me was their envy of the perch in which our Hawks have been sitting, and will continue to sit at....which is just fine by me.

Yeah but frankly I don't mind since I do the same thing with Cubs games (Brewers and D-Backs are the worst) and they're a lot worse off than Hawks so I think I'm a bit of a masochist in that regard I guess.

I'll check out the Colorado announcers tonight if anyone is interested- I'm curious to see how they view their club in comparison to the Hawks now that they've become something of a force in the division although I imagine I'll hear a lot about how the Avs broke up our streak but I wonder if they'll ignore the fact that the Hawks ran'em of the Ice in the following match-up between the two last year?

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
San Jose, LA, TB, and the NYR have good crews. Boston and Pittsburgh's are terrible....

Detroit's crew is ok, but Redmond can be kind of annoying sometimes. He's a pretty big homer too, but most people are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad