OPPF 2019 Draft Thread

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
ATTENTION !!!

Regular season voting is open until Friday August 23 at 17H EST. PMs were sent to every GM.

Rank the teams within their division and send your votes to @Theokritos.

Vote your own team #1 as a bonus for voting.

Division 1

Montreal Wanderers
Hershey Bears
San Jose Rubber Puckies
Pittsburgh Professionals
Orlando Solar Bears
California Golden Seals

Division 2

The Renegades
Parry Sound Shamrocks
The Unified Team
Quebec Aces
Chicago Cougars
Brampton Beavers

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
A surprisingly standard team coming from you.

Toe Blake is the greatets coach of all-time, so he will be able to handle guys like Hull and Tkachuk rather easily.

Crosby is now a great captain even on an all-time scale. I'd give an ''A'' to Rocket Richard over Alfredsson, but who cares.

This assassination will be short and sweet given the standard nature of your lineup. Not much to comment on chemistry-wise.

1st line: Major duo in Crosby-M.Richard. I love it a lot. It's gritty, offensively talented, clutch, and Crosby is responsible defensively. Syd Howe is a nice complement for them, fits right in with the description I just laid out. Definitely a strong 1st line and a strenght.

2nd line: Very standard. Forsberg-Hull is a weaker replica of Trottier-Bossy, and it obviously works. Bentley is good there on a 2nd line. He's in reality your best LW, so he bonifies the level of your line. Strong Top 6 overall with defensively responsible centers withotu sacrificing offense.

3rd line: Not sure what to make of Malone's two-way game. Admittedly I never ''digested'' overpass' work on him, and that's on me. Alfredsson is fine as some sort of jack-of-all-trades. He and Malone will be strong on possession; Alfredsson was tough to get the puck away from. Tkachuk is OK there as a fat ass goalscorer. If there's any critic to this line is the playmakign feels thin, but probably Malone was in reality a strong playmaker.

4th line: I guess it's OK nothing more. Not sure Giroux has any usefulness here but who cares. 4th line gonna 4th line.

1st pairing: Solid and standard. Fetisov the last clear cut #1 who can do it all. Horton great partner for him.

2nd pairing: Also solid and standard. By this point you won't lose any point from chemistry or construction, at least not from me unless someone points out osmething I don't see. You can only lose on the value-level when compared to what your opponent will ice.

3rd pairing: OK. Zubov is strong for a 3rd pairing.

Goalie: Fck you. Brimsek was mine. He's good if unimpressive at this level. Holtby is OK.

1st PP: Zubov over Fetisov ?

Overall a very solid, near flawless team. There aren't any major flaw there. It won't lose intrinsically, only from inferiority against opponents, if it loses at all. A contender.

Perhaps the one thing that I'm on the fence about is Crosby's value defensively given the unequal defensive prowess he displayed in his career. If you give him maximum credit for defense, then all is good. If you give him minimum credit, then Forsberg has a lot on his shoulders, and he's injury prone. Then it depends on Malone too.

Thanks BB. Much appreciated!

I think the team I put together is going to be very tough to beat, because it has such crazy flexibility, on top of talent. Those 2 things with Toe Blake as the brains behind it all makes for a lethal combination. This is a roster that I think Blake will be able to move around as he needs/sees fit, whether it be an offensive/defensive matchup, special teams, or just rolling different line combos and pairs. I've certainly not put together a roster like this, and am not sure I've ever seen a line up with so many interchangeable parts.

To get to your few points of emphasis.

Sorry about Brimsek bud. It was obvious when I took him, who I was going to take and had I not, would have lost him to you (or one of the few other guys on the way back down who hadn't drafted a G and had Boston available). I was able to wait a long time and still not end up with a bottom tier goalie. One of a handful chances I took that paid off.

Zubov over Fetisov on the PP?

I have a few reasons. One, I don't know if enough people realize how good Zubs was on the PP. His usage and effectiveness there are certainly great, if not elite, whether you look at regular or postseasons. While he had a good shot, his true calling was his vision (keeping his head up better than most blueliners I've seen in my lifetime) and play making. With arguably the greatest point shot in history in MacInnis also on the 1st unit, I want a guy who is a true QB, and while I think Fetisov certainly is that, he is more valuable to me (Blake) at ES and on the PK IMO. If Fetisov can get an extra minute or 2 at ES and be used more on the kill, that's a good thing IMO.

When you're trotting out Hull-Crosby-Richard-MacInnis as your other 4 on the 1st PP, you can move some things around with the 5th guy. Zubov would be a bit over his head playing on the 2nd pairing in a 12 team league, and certainly on the kill as well, there is zero doubt he's at least great as a PP QB given his career resume and numbers and the players he'll be surrounded by. I want to maximize Zubov's value and that is best done on the PP. But make no mistake, if Blake thinks a change is needed, Fetisov is the obvious choice.

The 3rd line, like my whole roster is mainly built around 2 way play rather than the uber traditional scoring-scoring-checking-checking/mashup. I think with the revelations overpass made about Malone, coupled with a pretty strong 200 foot player in Alfredsson to his right, it's a line that is going to exploit a lot of favorable match ups offensively speaking, while not giving up a large number of chances going the other way. When your 3rd line has the offensive resume these guys do, and they're going to see a lot of 2nd and 3rd pairings, it is likely they'll pot some goals. And the line is very puck possession based. You have 2 guys who can really bang in the corners and win puck battles (especially Tkachuk). They're going to wear on people. But unlike most 3rd lines, they have the skill and finishing ability to essentially give us a 3rd scoring line without the glaring defensive weaknesses that generally accompany trying to go away from the traditional 3rd line style.

I've been on record a million times saying Crosby's career arc would be/is eerily similar to Yzerman in terms of style and output (Crosby is just simply a more dominant offensive force and is already equal to, if not slightly head of Yzerman defensively speaking age wise) . It is no surprise, given Yzerman was Crosby's boyhood idol growing up.

Consider Sid has now been a top 10 Selke guy the past 4 seasons. He's also been in the top 10 of scoring those 4 years which puts him into pretty rare company:

Top 10 in Scoring & Selke Voting

The only player with more consecutive seasons of top 10 Scoring/Selke finishes is Kurri with 5. Crosby, like I said is at 4 and there's no reason he can't challenge Kurri, health being the only real obstacle I see. Ron Francis also had 4 in a row.

Now, I don't think Crosby was quite a top 10 Selke guy 3 and 4 years ago but he was certainly above average. That was when he really started turning a corner in terms of defensive deployment throughout the year. Started under Mike Johnston but really took off under Sullivan 3 years ago and he's steadily been more impactful defensively at ES year to year. I still go back to the Cup finals against Thornton and Pavelski 3 years ago. Sid went power on power and while his line didn't score much, neither did SJ. He and his line completely shut down Thornton and Pavs. Gets overlooked unless you were watching closely. He was just as good in the 2nd of the back to back runs. When he goes all in defensively, he's very very good. And those instances are beginning to happen more often.

As well respected folks like @seventieslord and @Mike Farkas have attested this past season was where Crosby REALLY moved the needle in a big way. His 4th place Selke finish wasn't egregious at all. There were numerous games I watched last year where Sid put on a clinic defensively and was used more on the kill as the year went along. I'd be very surprised to see him not win a Selke before it's all said and done. His work ethic is legendary, he obviously possesses the hockey IQ and will to do it. Just a matter of it all aligning and I think he already understands the impact he can make will be more and more defensively slanted as he continues to age and slow down.

Again, thanks for the review. I'm going to try and knock out a few before regular season voting ends.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Zubov over Fetisov on the PP?

I have a few reasons. One, I don't know if enough people realize how good Zubs was on the PP. His usage and effectiveness there are certainly great, if not elite, whether you look at regular or postseasons. While he had a good shot, his true calling was his vision (keeping his head up better than most blueliners I've seen in my lifetime) and play making. With arguably the greatest point shot in history in MacInnis also on the 1st unit, I want a guy who is a true QB, and while I think Fetisov certainly is that, he is more valuable to me (Blake) at ES and on the PK IMO. If Fetisov can get an extra minute or 2 at ES and be used more on the kill, that's a good thing IMO.

i totally agree that zubov is a premier pp point man all time. but i would be wary of having two RHS on the blueline if i didn't have to. add the fact that zubov will almost never shoot the puck and if it's me it's a no-brainer to put fetisov there in his place. if nothing else, having a second shooting threat on the blueline means they're not expecting a pass to macinnis every time so you also get a better effective macinnis out of the swap. imo that's more valuable than redistributing fetisov's icetime when you've got horton, ching johnson, and schoenfeld to eat big defensive minutes.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
i totally agree that zubov is a premier pp point man all time. but i would be wary of having two RHS on the blueline if i didn't have to. add the fact that zubov will almost never shoot the puck and if it's me it's a no-brainer to put fetisov there in his place. if nothing else, having a second shooting threat on the blueline means they're not expecting a pass to macinnis every time so you also get a better effective macinnis out of the swap. imo that's more valuable than redistributing fetisov's icetime when you've got horton, ching johnson, and schoenfeld to eat big defensive minutes.

Oh I completely get the argument for Fetisov over Zubov.

But I think, from a value standpoint the key is getting as much as you can out of your depth guys (bottom 6 F's/3rd pairing D) because ultimately, they are a big part of a teams success. Fetisov is going to play a ton of minutes. And most of the game is played at ES, especially in a playoff environment. And if I'm picking one of the two special teams to get the most out of Fetisov, I want it to be on the kill, even though Horton, Johnson and Schoenfeld are all high end PK'ers. Zubov isn't going to get enough minutes at ES to make a huge difference most nights, but put him out there where he was best at a few times a game? Now we're talking. It might be different if I didn't have the higher end F's, but I think the best bet is to use Fetisov more at ES and give Zubov an extra 2-3 minutes on the PP, which is his bread and butter.

The 2 right handed shots doesn't bother me at all. Not with the acumen of the 2 guys we're talking about. In fact, I like the righties up top because it's not a standard look for most PP's. Especially when you have Crosby as the main distributor down low, a lefty and Richard the go to trigger down low, a lefty.

I actually think defending this group is going to be a nightmare. Who do you shade over to? Richard? Elite goal scorer. Hull, same thing, just on the left side of the PP. You better not give MacInnis space to unleash bombs. Zubov on his strong side, operating things from the top. Crosby is going to shift everywhere, next to the net, behind it, out onto either half wall. There's plenty of puck moving skill there and even more goal scoring ability.

And defending the 2nd unit is no walk in the park either.

Malone
Forsberg
Tkachuk (net front)
Bentley/Aflredsson (will rotate/both can play point)
Fetisov

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Krutov's problems in the NHL is not that problematic to me; what they hurt is his longevity as far as I'm concerned, nothing more.
And- to be fair, concerns about Krutov staying focused are, perhaps, not as big a deal as the concern as to whether players on your division-rival teams Kariya and Forsberg can avoid missing significant time during a complete Regular Season.

That's a question-mark, too.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And- to be fair, concerns about Krutov staying focused are, perhaps, not as big a deal as the concern as to whether players on your division-rival teams Kariya and Forsberg can avoid missing significant time during a complete Regular Season.

That's a question-mark, too.

A small reason why I have so many on the roster who can legitimately play C. Sid, Howe, Bentley, Forsberg, Malone, Giroux, Madden, Bourne.

Giroux would the obvious choice to move up to a 2nd line role given his scoring and play making acumen next to a sniper like Hull.

Either way Blake has plenty of options to work with.

And honestly, I'm not sure why we're talking about missing significant time anyway, given these drafts and subsequent tournaments are built around 7 game series. I would pick chemistry, fit and style, playoff performances, etc over potential injury when we're talking about games that represent a very small sample size in the grand scheme.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The vote now is for the REGULAR SEASON, a full schedule of many games, needing to play backup goalies (unless you have a Brodeur, Hall) and expecting injury-prone players to miss some games. Ir's not just 7 games like a playoff series, it's 80ish games!

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The vote now is for the REGULAR SEASON, a full schedule of many games, needing to play backup goalies (unless you have a Brodeur, Hall) and expecting injury-prone players to miss some games. Ir's not just 7 games like a playoff series, it's 80ish games!

Isn't it interesting then, how 99% of the time the teams who finish the regular season ranked 1st (sometimes 2nd) in their division end up winning the whole thing in the ATD, even though in real life, that is generally not the case, especially in the modern era. I've said for a long time, playoffs ought to just be reduced to the top 2 teams in each division. Just skip all the filler material. I don't think people who've done the ATD are naïve enough to know if they get ranked 4th or 5th in a division, they won't be challenging the top teams. Most people aren't going to change how they rank the teams from the regular season to the playoffs.

But either way, I'm aware. And given we don't have spares, if a guy does get injured are we just assuming the team is going to play with a short deck? :naughty: Or can we get like ghost runners/skaters (we used to do this in baseball growing up as kids when we didn't have enough players haha).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I always change my opinion from the regular season to playoffs.

Vs.x should be for regular season and **** off for playoffs.

We had a HOH project for Stanley Cup performers on the History board; that and international tourneys ought to be SIGNIFICANT in the playoff round voting.

I weigh Dionne more in the regular season voting and Forsberg more in the playoffs.

Etc.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
@TheDevilMadeMe

San Jose Rubber Puckies

Coach: Tommy Ivan

Paul Kariya - Howie Morenz - Gordie Howe (A)
This might be my favorite first line. Getting Morenz when you did to go along with Howe - just sick good.
John LeClair - Cyclone Taylor - Patrick Kane
This is pretty much a poor man's version of your first line. I still love it.
Craig Ramsey - Anze Kopitar - Glenn Anderson
Nothing to say. Great third line.
Clark Gillies - Peter Stastny - Dino Ciccarelli
AH! Finally something to nitpick! Is Stastny a 4C here? I always thought of him as an offensive player, so he seems a little out of place here in the lineup. Gillies is great. I'll have a point to make about Ciccarelli later, but I do think he sits well as a fourth liner in this format.

Eddie Gerard (C) - Eddie Shore
Great pairing here, although I almost wish you could find a way to split them up. I don't think it would work out with who you have on your second pairing, but I'm a big fan of both of these guys, with a caveat on Shore that I'll point out in my final thoughts.
Borje Salming - Valeri Vasiliev (A)
Another good pairing here.
Art Coulter - Cy Wentworth
A solid defensive third pairing, although Coulter highlights the one issue I see with your team top to bottom.

Martin Brodeur
Curtis Joseph
Elite goaltender from a relatively shallow franchise. Good pick.

PP1: Cyclone Taylor - Howie Morenz - Gordie Howe - Eddie Shore - Paul Kariya
PP2: Dino Ciccarelli - Peter Stastny - Patrick Kane - Valeri Vasiliev - Borje Salming

PK1: Anze Kopitar - Craig Ramsey - Eddie Gerard - Art Coulter
PK2: Howie Morenz - Gordie Howe - Borje Salming - Eddie Shore

So - I think this is a super well constructed team from top to bottom, but there is an issue. This team is going to spend *a lot* of time in the penalty box between Shore, Coulter, Cicarelli, Gillies, and Howe. These are all 100+ PIM capable guys over a full season, and not all of them will be matching. That's going to make your team tough to play against, yes, but it's also going to lead to a lot of time short handed, and with your PK1 having Coulter and PK2 having Shore, you're going to have to rely on your 5th and 6th D to do some lifting there (although all are defensively capable so it's not exactly like having to rely on Coffey to kill penalties or anything).

I told you that I felt like you took a player I was targeting before me pretty much every round. While our forward lines are constructed differently on the top two (your playmaking coming more from the Wings), other than that I feel like we had similar visions for our teams. I really like this roster, but you *are* going to spend more time shorthanded than on the PP.

Oh, and final critique. Coaching is probably on the lower end of a 12 team league. Considering Detroit's somewhat disappointing playoff results considering the quality of their lineups, that is something to factor in.

Thanks for the review. I more or less agree with what you are saying. I agree the team will take their fair share of penalties. However, I have mitigated things a few ways:

1) All 6 of my defensemen are defensively sound and capable of killing penalties. I mean, when I have the "problem" of not having room for Valeri Vasiliev on my regular PK, you know my defensemen are excellent defensively. Having Martin Brodeur's puckhandling in goal gave me the luxury of drafting a defense-first bottom pairing.

2) I agree that Tommy Ivan is a "7th-12th best coach of all-time," which in theory makes him below average in a 12 team draft. One thing I like about him, however, is that his teams were well-disciplined and tended to avoid the penalty box. The team PIMs of the Red Wings players went down noticeably when Ivan took over from Jack Adams at coach. Adams played a more "beat them up" style.

-While Shore and Ciccarelli could be undisciplined, the same really couldn't be said about Gordie Howe and Clark Gillies. Howe was more of a predator than a loose canon - his violence was very calculated. And Gillies' high PIMs were mostly from fighting - I drafted him here so that Howe didn't have to fight much.

-I agree that Stastny looks weird on the 4th line - I drafted him mainly to give my 2nd PP some more oomph. Stastny was a chippy player however, and I think that he can center an energy line at even strength, flanked by Gillies and Dino. At least that's what I'm going for.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
two conflicting recollections—

i think kopecky was RW and hossa was LW when they played together. if i'm remembering right, hossa at least could play LW for one cup run.

otoh, one of the problems with the pre-lockout senators was that none of hossa, alfredsson, or havlat was comfortable moving over to the LW so they had to roll with that logjam on the right side.

Havlat sometimes was moved to LW (I was big into yahoo fantasy hockey at the time and liked drafting him for his LW/RW status, heh); Hossa and Alfredsson never were as far as I know.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Always tough to assassinate your team because you know so much, but here goes:

I like Ivan for the Gordie Howe team.

1st line: Obviously the main attraction on this team, with two Top 10 players on it. Morenz is often seen as hard to build around because he's a goalscoring winger and likes to execute the transition himself, but here he has Gordie Howe on his wing of all people. I don't think this duo has ever been done before in any draft. Clearly impossible to do in the ATD, but even in twisted draft like the OPPF and the likes I've never seen it. Counter-intuitively, I feel it will be Morenz who will contorl the line, not Howe. Howe feels more adaptable than Morenz, and Morenz likes to rush up the puck a lot. Kariya is fine but almost reduced to uselessness playing with such a spectacular and dominant duo. Morenz-Howe brings everything you need on a line, an orange cone would have the job at LW.

2nd line: Great line. But the defense and physicality, while there, are walking on thin ice. LeClair is not so physical but he's physically imposing. You argued Taylor is good defensively and I bought it, but it's still thin. That's assuming we care about those two things at all though. The line does work perfectly chemistry-wise. Level-wise, Taylor and Kane are strong 2nd liners, and LeClair was a nice pick-up late for you and an obvious pick to complement them.

3rd line: With Morenz and now Kopitar, it kindda answers the Taylor's defense question: You didn't need it too much. I have no problem with this line intrinsically, but it is weak offensively. Obviously very good defensively, but Kopitar is underserved offensively. Anderson does provide some offense, especially in the playoffs. The line will be aggressive skaters with Anderson and Ramsay.

4th line: Stastny is great there, if underused probably. I like it, Stastny alone makes it high-end. Gillies is an ideal 4th liner. Ciccarelli is OK nothing more.

1st pairing: Great pairing including a great captain in Eddie Gerard. Gerard's calming presence will be fruitful for the undisciplined Eddie Shore. Maybe it can even prevent Shore from taking too much penalties at a bad time. No flaw there.

2nd pairing: Like for IE's team, nothing to say against chemistry. The crux of the matter will be in comparing against your opponents on a value level. Salming is your #2 (close to Gerard though), and Vasiliev is not far from them. So your #2, 3 and 4 are more or less all in the same ballpark of value. Shore has strong support in the Top 4. All of them are strong defensively.

3rd pairing: A very strong 3rd pairing. So strong it would be a shame to give them too limited icetime. Coulter is on his weaker side but it doesn't matter in this context. The pairing works. Coutler stay-at-home and Wentworth will move the puck.

Goalie: Getting higher and higher on Brodeur. The 3rd defenseman. With the strenght of your defense, even if not spectacular, Brodeur adds a little spice into each pairing which will make your team very tough to score against and tough to control the flow of the game against too.

1st PP is very good, with Kariya on the point being a bit of an eyesore relatively speaking.

Your PK is insanely good, and I really love the Morenz-Howe infernal duo coming back on the 2nd wave.

Unsurprisingly, this team will compete for the OPPF cup.

Thanks for the review. Like Macho Man's I agree with most of it.

Re: My 1st line - From what I've read, Aurel Joliat often carried the puck up ice, while Morenz rushed the net. I see Howe being a much better version of Joliat here in a way. Kariya can kind of do his thing as the 3rd wheel of the line. One thing I like about Kariya here is his speed - I'm pretty sure this is the fastest skating line I've ever put together in any of these drafts.

Re: I'm glad you saw what I was going for with the Gerard - Shore pairing. Gerard is probably my 4th best defenseman, but I like him with Shore, as I think he's ideal as a partner to get Shore to calm the f*** down.

Re Kariya on the point of the PP - he played point on the PP in real life in Anaheim, which you probably know. At some point in this draft, I wanted to draft Gonchar to have a more traditional PP setup, but I lost him. Anyway, I need a forward at the point, because Eddie Shore is my only PP ace from the blueline (I see that as my blueline's real weakness, although it's one that I can ameliorate by using a forward at the point).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Thank you all the GMs who are assassinating teams. It's traditionally my favorite part of the drafts, but I won't have time to do it this week.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for the review. Like Macho Man's I agree with most of it.

Re: My 1st line - From what I've read, Aurel Joliat often carried the puck up ice, while Morenz rushed the net. I see Howe being a much better version of Joliat here in a way. Kariya can kind of do his thing as the 3rd wheel of the line. One thing I like about Kariya here is his speed - I'm pretty sure this is the fastest skating line I've ever put together in any of these drafts.

Re: I'm glad you saw what I was going for with the Gerard - Shore pairing. Gerard is probably my 4th best defenseman, but I like him with Shore, as I think he's ideal as a partner to get Shore to calm the **** down.

Re Kariya on the point of the PP - he played point on the PP in real life in Anaheim, which you probably know. At some point in this draft, I wanted to draft Gonchar to have a more traditional PP setup, but I lost him. Anyway, I need a forward at the point, because Eddie Shore is my only PP ace from the blueline (I see that as my blueline's real weakness, although it's one that I can ameliorate by using a forward at the point).

I based my statement about Morenz from the few clips I've seen. Morenz did some incredible end to end rushes in such a way that makes you suspect he was doing it quite often. But who knows.

I don't agree that Gerard is your 4th best defenseman, but it's not very important. While I obviously see Gerard as a calming presence for Shore on a big picture level, he also took a bunch of penalties in multiple big games, so there's some give and take in that vision.

Yeah I know Kariya played on the point. The way I phrased it looks like I was criticizing him for being on the point, while I was just criticzing him being there at all :laugh: At least compared to the rest of the unit.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Havlat sometimes was moved to LW (I was big into yahoo fantasy hockey at the time and liked drafting him for his LW/RW status, heh); Hossa and Alfredsson never were as far as I know.

iirc, as the youngest guy havlat was the one who kept getting moved to the left and they always moved him back because he was never as effective on his strong side.

i remember thinking that that team was going to win it all when they ran white with alfredsson, bonk with hossa, and spezza with havlat, but martin just wouldn't play spezza with any regularity and kept wasting havlat on checking lines with guys like shaun van allen, bryan smolinski, and young fisher.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
just a few small notes as i was glancing through the rosters—

Jiri Holik - Ted Kennedy - Joe Mullen
Three great checkers with Ted and Mullen bringing some scoring ability.

i love joe mullen and he was underrated defensively, but i don't think he can be called a great checker, per se.

PP1: Hull - Dionne - Bossy - Orr - Malkin

wow, that PP.

#20 Luc Robitaille - #66 Mario Lemieux(A) - #17 Jari Kurri
#16 Michel Goulet - #19 Joe Thornton - #5 Bernie Geoffrion
#7 Rick Martin - #10 Dale Hawerchuk - #8 Mark Recchi
#21 Brent Sutter - #14 Dave Keon - #42 David Backes

#5 Nicklas Lidstrom(C) - #33 Zdeno Chara
#27 Scott Niedermayer(A) - #2 Brad Park
#24 Doug Wilson - #20 Gary Suter

#0 Roy Worters
#35 Pekka Rinne

PP1: Goulet-Lemieux-Kurri-Chara-Lidstrom
PP2: Robitaille-Thornton-Geoffrion-Niedermayer-Park

i think there are better ways of optimizing the PP. robitaille is one of the greatest slot guys ever. he should definitely be on the first unit. why is chara there? geoffrion or park would be all time great point men to put next to lidstrom. or wilson with his big shot. what's the point of even having wilson and suter if you're not going to play them on the PP?

if it were me, i'd go

robitaille - mario - kurri - lidstrom - geoffrion (for his RHS)

martin (goulet was just as good, but he can PK while martin is more of a specialist so why waste him?) - thornton - recchi - suter (imo just as good as park, but park's minutes are so much better used at ES and on the PK) - wilson

hawerchuk is another guy who would be great on the second PP unit, either up front or on the point

Brampton Beavers:

Coach: Jacques Lemaire

Gilbert - Messier - Lafleur
Brind'Amour - Yzerman - Iginla
Nash - Modano - Hossa
Gaborik - Stamkos - Nolan

Bourque - Chelios
Murphy - Numminen
Timonen - Desjardins

Broda
Liut

PP1:

Stamkos - Yzerman - Lafleur
Bourque - Murphy

PP2:

Iginla - Messier - Brind'Amour
Chelios - Desjardins

PK1:

Brind'Amour - Messier - Hossa
Bourque - Chelios

PK2:

Nash - Yzerman - Modano
Numminen - Timonen

why is numminen playing higher in the lineup than desjardins?

and why do the PK units have five players on the ice?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
just a few small notes as i was glancing through the rosters—

i love joe mullen and he was underrated defensively, but i don't think he can be called a great checker, per se.
Fair - probably equivalent to Anderson where he's well suited to being the third best checker on a checking line.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
why is numminen playing higher in the lineup than desjardins?

and why do the PK units have five players on the ice?

lmao... I guess I forgot the purpose of a PK while posting. Will edit. And I wanted a defensive sort of presence with Murphy instead of a more all-around d-man like Desjardins.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Parry Sound Shamrocks

coach Anatoli Tarasov
"Someone has to mastermind a pass... it is the man WITHOUT the puck—the man who has taken the best position... one man depends on four. That is why it is more difficult to play against us, because it is harder to look after four men than it is to look after one man.”

Sid Abel - Newsy Lalonde (A) - Andy Bathgate
Anatoli Firsov
- Frank Nighbor - Teemu Selanne
Esa Tikkanen
- Doug Gilmour (A) - Martin St. Louis
Brian Sutter - Jonathan Toews - Jean Pronovost
Seven top-100 forwards; 2nd & 3rd line pivots to win pucks in the d zone and pass to score on speedy transition as well as to recover pucks in the o zone and pass to Clapper, Moose, Blake or Burns at the point for a heavy shot.

Scott Stevens (C) - Dit Clapper
Moose Johnson - Rob Blake
Brad McCrimmon - Brent Burns
Hasek wants dmen to: a) force or take away pass option b) clear the crease of opposing forwards and loose pucks, and c) get out of the way!
All Shamrock d are physically strong and able skaters.

Dominik Hasek
Jiri Holecek

Hasek needs a lot of shots, gets better with more; no shotblocking, screens, deflections; let him go one on one with the shooter, and he'll thrive.

PP1: Firsov, Lalonde, Selanne, Moose, Blake
PP2: Abel, Gilmour, Bathgate, Stevens, Clapper
PK1: Nighbor, Gilmour, Moose, Stevens, Hasek
PK2: Toews, Tikkanen, McCrimmon, Clapper, Hasek

@VanIslander

Coach:

Tarasov is a solid option in a 12 team league. He requires a more specific type of player given the country of origin and time period, but overall I think your team will suit or greatly satisfy his expectations. Overall a strong job because I think the coach + roster meshes well.

Forwards:

Top line is fantastic, at least offensively speaking. Abel is such a great glue guy (i was basically waiting you out to see who you took between Abel and Howe, but I'm glad you took Abel because Howe's primary position was LW which is what I needed). Lalonde is a rough and tumble character. I think he's going to be one of the weaker #1C's in this but given the wingers he has, should produce. Bathgate has sneaky good play making ability which is good given Lalonde is at C. Overall a line that would seem to mesh well, has a ton of grit and push back. I do think they'll give up some chances going the other way as Abel is really the only, what I'd call plus player defensively and he's playing his secondary position. Not a "perfect" line but as a scoring unit, it looks great.

Your second line, stylistically, really mirrors mine, only yours is even better from a scoring standpoint. Firsov was one of the few Soviets who kind of did it all. He was more well rounded than most of his teammates at the time. I think he'll blend in well here, especially with Tarasov pulling the strings. Nighbor, obviously is your best C, and on the 2nd line is elite. He's a strong play maker and arguably the greatest 2 way player ever. His defensive ability allows Firsov to be a bit more creative and Selanne should love having a distributor like Nighbor moving the puck around. The only possible drawback is I don't see much in the way of fore checking here. Firsov was gritty and tough, but not really a checking type. Nighbor isn't going to own the corners from a physical standpoint. Same with Selanne. This line will need to carry/pass the puck through the neutral zone and into the opponents zone. This is a line where I'd strongly consider trapping against.

I like the 3rd line a lot as well. Gilmour is a very strong 2 way C. He's got an edge that Nighbor doesn't and while he doesn't possess enough offense to be a scoring line C here, in the bottom 6, he looks just fine. MSL was underrated defensively and was a very strong play maker so I think he'll gel well with the other 2 guys. Tik is such a great bottom 6 player. And even though he's not going to provide much offense, Gilmour and MSL have more than enough between them to cause some problems going the other. It's a line that can defend very well and pot some goals.

Nothing special about the 4th line but you have another very strong defensive C in Toews. He has the IQ and make up to accept a smaller role here. C's on opposing teams are going to have a tough time against your squad.

Defense:

Top pairing is going to be weaker overall because neither Stevens or Clapper are #1's here. In fact Clapper is probably more of a really good 3 than 2. But the fit is there. Stevens is staunch defensively but he can get a bit careless when he's headhunting, which is why Clapper being known as a 2 way guy, places nicely next to Stevens.

2nd pairing is a lot like the first. Going to be below average in terms of ranking but the fit isn't bad. Johnson was known strictly as an offensive dman for the first half of his career before transitioning into a more 2 way player. Blake, like Johnson, is more offensively focused. I think teams with speed and skill can exploit this unit. But it's very rugged and can go through spurts of defensive brilliance.

3rd pair will be strong here.

Goalies:

Hasek. I mean you're walking into any game, other than facing Roy, where you'll be favored in net. His only weakness is that he never really got it done in the playoffs, other than once late on a STACKED Wings team. He wasn't bad by any means in the postseason. But he was mortal.

Special Teams:

Get Stevens off the PP2 and put Burns there.

PK1 is sex.

Strong effort.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Thanks for the review IE.

The 2nd line will not forecheck: no dumping and chasing, as Tarasov did not believe in throwing the puck away and Firsov's line will mirror it. It will be hard for the opposition to play the trap because Nighbor will be taking a lot of defensive zone face offs against weaker pairings ( at home games with last line change allowing for match ups of this line with opposition's weaker pairings - even Bourque won't be on the ice half the time, in fact take away pp and pk duty, he'd play 1/3 of regular shifts) and Nighbor winning the face off would result in quick rushes putting the opposition's d on their heels transitioning from o to d. And that Nighbor line should thrive on offensive face offs, controling the puck in the o zone with passing skill, no way a trap zone d can work when the play begins in their zone!

I'll take your advice about putting Burns on a pp unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad