Opinions on Alienware

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
This can be said for virtually everything in life. Its not practical to know everything, therefor we choose our interests and pay someone else to do the rest. If youve got the money, go for it.

That's not even remotely true. There are most definitely things that are always going to be substantially more difficult than "grown up legos", that are not "definitely doable with advice and good Youtube videos".

Case in point - I was looking into changing the timing belt on my car. While I'm pretty sure I could have done it (but did not when I realized my timing belt was not as old as I thought), I would not have ever called it "adult legos", and I already have experience working on a car. The level of difficulty is not remotely comparable to building a computer. Now, try something like taking apart a transmission, and putting it back together. Something like changing spark plug wires or an ignition coil - yeah, that is something more akin to adult legos, but so many things in life are NOT youtube-able and doable by the layperson, and it's not just due to the impracticality of knowing how to do everything in life.

I never once suggested that the OP SHOULD, without caveat, just build his own PC. I suggested that if he is open to the idea of it, he should go to the thread dedicated to building your own PC, and get help there, but that if he doesn't want to build his own, he should still go there, and people would help him choose the prebuilt that he wants.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, I get that. The mid-range Alienware pre-builts I would not buy. The high range ones are different (although considered over priced by most), but are well built and do everything needed. I suppose what I am saying is for myself, and others that want the convenience, support and can afford it Alienware is a fine option. Mind you, once you have decided to go premium pre-build there are other options out there now that were not there when I bought my first pre-built from Dell in the late 90's? OrginPC comes to mind (the people who started Alienware before they were bought) and others. I guess like anything, decide what you want and shop around.

And, I think NCIX here in Canada does the same $100 fee to build it as well as other companies. Not a bad option either. And there are so many options, it just takes judgement on the buyers part as to price range, convenience, support (huge for me) and other things.

I thought it was $50 at NCIX, but it might be $100 now. You're definitely correct though - it's a matter of what the computer is worth to you, what not having to deal with the hassle (or fun depending on the person) of building and maintaining it is worth to you, etc. I think for a budget conscious person, it's definitely worth knowing that the option of self-building is there, and knowing that it can result in a better optioned, better priced computer, and that it can be quite satisfying - but they're still going to need to weigh that out, it's not for everyone, even if they are on a budget.

Prebuilts will always be there, and for some people it will always be worth it, even if they know how to build their own, to go for the prebuilt.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Yeah i have found a lot of deception online about building pcs and I cant figure out why. Like its clearly not as easy as people say, what do people get out of misleading in that way?

There are 5-10 parts and they literally just plug into one another. If you can set up a TV set or a stereo you can build a computer.

Why people go around pretending it's difficult is beyond me. Possibly to justify the price they paid for a pre-built.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There are 5-10 parts and they literally just plug into one another. If you can set up a TV set or a stereo you can build a computer.

Why people go around pretending it's difficult is beyond me. Possibly to justify the price they paid for a pre-built.

I built my own, so definitely not that

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

There are people who can't set up a TV or stereo either. There are people it's just not going to be easy for. For those that have the aptitude, yeah, it will be pretty easy.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
There are people who can't set up a TV or stereo either. There are people it's just not going to be easy for. For those that have the aptitude, yeah, it will be pretty easy.

Fair, but those people probably aren't on an Internet forum asking for PC advice.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Well I cannot build my own laptop really. Especially for any cheaper than it would be to build a desktop.

Not sure why everyone has to hate on everyone else. I could tell you how easy and cheap it is to do your own oil change on your car. It's even more simple than building a computer I can tell you that. But I bet well over 90% of the people who built their own computers are afraid of getting dirty or something.

To each their own. Some people want to build just like some people will do their own oil changes. Others just pay a little bit more to have someone else do it.

Sep 19, 2008
I know nothing about cars so I just have someone else change the oil. I know a little something about computers so I can build one without problem and if something goes wrong I can debug it.

That being said there are also other people who don't know anything, I as well as others are just saying, don't buy an Alienware. It just too expensive and you could easily build your own or have someone build it for you for less.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I know nothing about cars so I just have someone else change the oil. I know a little something about computers so I can build one without problem and if something goes wrong I can debug it.

That being said there are also other people who don't know anything, I as well as others are just saying, don't buy an Alienware. It just too expensive and you could easily build your own or have someone build it for you for less.

That's my point. Most people when told to just build a PC get scared because they don't know enough about computers. I was commenting on the part about it being just plugging stuff in. Not everybody knows, wants to or can do it.

Doing an oil change only requires one to know how to use a wrench. That's it. Oh and pour a liquid into a hole. Its really really easy. You don't need to know anything about cars. Much like how people are saying its easy to upgrade / build a PC. Its almost the same exact concept. It seems so foreign / scary to some of you because you "don't know anything about cars". That's exactly how people who have never built a PC feel. If they are up to it though and take 10 mins to watch a youtube or read about it, anyone can do it.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I think people do not understand convenience. I can cook a fancy dinner but I usually just go out, I can clean my own house if I want but I get a housekeeper, I can mow my own yard if I want but I get a landscaper, I know how to paint but I am not going to paint my house and I did build a car from the frame to completion but it do not think I would do that again and so on. We/I are capable of most things if you want to do it, just like building a computer, but it is something I am willing to pay for the convenience of not doing it.

I thought about building my own but the hassle of going to all the sites, buying parts from here and there just to find the best deal does not appeal to me in the least. If the computer is $2500 build your own with that hassle and the troubleshooting (what I am most afraid of - it seems when new games come out nearly all the tech support problems are with people who build their own - a hassle I do not want to deal with), I am willing to pay $1000 more for the peace of mind that I have a warranty and someone else to do the work for me. Yeah, I am coming across as lazy, but it is something I am willing to pay extra for. I am in my, late 40's(sigh) and it is something I do not care to do.

And as much as it is 'cool' to crap on Alienware/Dell, I have been happy with my purchases and will probably buy my next computer from them as well.

Sep 19, 2008
I think people do not understand convenience. I can cook a fancy dinner but I usually just go out, I can clean my own house if I want but I get a housekeeper, I can mow my own yard if I want but I get a landscaper, I know how to paint but I am not going to paint my house and I did build a car from the frame to completion but it do not think I would do that again and so on. We/I are capable of most things if you want to do it, just like building a computer, but it is something I am willing to pay for the convenience of not doing it.

I thought about building my own but the hassle of going to all the sites, buying parts from here and there just to find the best deal does not appeal to me in the least. If the computer is $2500 build your own with that hassle and the troubleshooting (what I am most afraid of - it seems when new games come out nearly all the tech support problems are with people who build their own - a hassle I do not want to deal with), I am willing to pay $1000 more for the peace of mind that I have a warranty and someone else to do the work for me. Yeah, I am coming across as lazy, but it is something I am willing to pay extra for. I am in my, late 40's(sigh) and it is something I do not care to do.

And as much as it is 'cool' to crap on Alienware/Dell, I have been happy with my purchases and will probably buy my next computer from them as well.

Understood. I guess in the end it's all about preference. I remember when Anthony Cumia was talking about his computer, he has a pre-built gaming rig and people asked him why he didn't build his own. He said on Twitter he could basically plug the machine in and play without any effort. That works for some people, that doesn't work for others. That's fine.

What I'm concerned about with Alienware is that they just make these computers which are way overpriced and look fancy. An Alienware laptop, I'm good with that but a PC? When I could buy a cheaper one without the frills, that still runs well? My preference would be something cheaper than Alienware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad