Pre-Game Talk: Opening Week Part II (MIN, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I'm sure that we could have won almost any other team after the same kind of first period, but there's something mental against playing minny and they seem to get on top for those games

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
The GDT for the Dallas game will go up 2-3 hours before puck-drop.
So don't worry about that until then.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Read a piece from Chambers this morning, about how Roy declined to focus on the "negatives" from the loss against Minnesota, but instead focus on the positives from the first 2 periods. I, personally, liked this approach because even if you're showing a positive, you're still getting a subtle reminder that they messed up in the 3rd period by getting away from it.

I don't expect them to win every game, and I don't expect them to play well even in a loss (meaning there will be eggs they lay...just unfortunate it happened in the first game, against the Wild), but I think some adverse effects could pop up by just having a film session of what everyone did wrong. Show them the things they did right, start getting it drilled in that 45 minutes of "good/strong play" is not going to be enough.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I posted this in another thread but wouldnt a Landy--Mack--Rants line be better than putting Tangs there and
then move Tangs down to the Soda line..this way you might actually have to play a 3rd line if things go south again Patrick

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I posted this in another thread but wouldnt a Landy--Mack--Rants line be better than putting Tangs there and
then move Tangs down to the Soda line..this way you might actually have to play a 3rd line if things go south again Patrick

I think eventually they'll go with that but Rantanen probably isn't ready for that right now. He should be playing more than he did last time but bringing him along slowly to start seems like the smart decision.

Roy said he benched Rantanen and Rendulic and went to a three line approach because they need to earn his trust and he wanted to play the veterans. The veterans then gave up four unanswered in the third and blew the game. Probably not what he had in mind there. :laugh:

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I noticed Rantanen got a very small amount of TOI. I didn't get to watch the game, so I'm wondering if he looked out of sorts, or if we think breaking him in slowly is part of the game plan.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think eventually they'll go with that but Rantanen probably isn't ready for that right now. He should be playing more than he did last time but bringing him along slowly to start seems like the smart decision.

Roy said he benched Rantanen and Rendulic and went to a three line approach because they need to earn his trust and he wanted to play the veterans. The veterans then gave up four unanswered in the third and blew the game. Probably not what he had in mind there. :laugh:

I can't stand that approach from Roy. He puts WAY too much emphasis on that sometimes. If Rantanen didn't earn your trust through training camp and preseason, you know, the ~month that he played well enough to actually crack an NHL roster at 18, how the hell is he supposed to earn your trust playing 7 minutes a game?

I hope it was just a first-game thing and Roy plays Rantanen a bit more, but stapling him to the bench in favour of "veterans" because he trusts them won't do Rantanen any good development wise.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's what I've said all along. Y'all may not agree with it but that's the reason.

I don't think anyone disputes what his reasoning is. Most just disagree with the logic behind it. Many people probably wouldn't complain if there were good/average players playing over the talented young guys who still need to "earn his trust". Anyways, enough about that. There's no lineup changes so there's no point in talking about the same thing we spent the entire last week on.

Avs/Stars games usually end up being pretty good. Hopefully this one is no different.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't think anyone disputes what his reasoning is. Most just disagree with the logic behind it. Many people probably wouldn't complain if there were good/average players playing over the talented young guys who still need to "earn his trust". Anyways, enough about that. There's no lineup changes so there's no point in talking about the same thing we spent the entire last week on.

Avs/Stars games usually end up being pretty good. Hopefully this one is no different.

i think only one game has been bad the past two seasons. the one where stars had b2b game and were out of energy all game and avs held them to like 5 scoring chances all game 5on5.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

Haha are u phrasing it this way, hoping that patty is secretly a member on these boards?

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
My charger/laptop seems to be broken so im going to have to watch the game on my phone. That's annoying.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Where the heck is our GDT today?

Also, by the way, I won't be around much, if at all, tonight, and when I am on, it'll be on my mobile phone (watching the game at my parents' house and won't have my laptop out there).

Be good.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Also, by the way, I won't be around much, if at all, tonight, and when I am on, it'll be on my mobile phone (watching the game at my parents' house and won't have my laptop out there).

Be good.

post #77

The GDT for the Dallas game will go up 2-3 hours before puck-drop.
So don't worry about that until then.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario

Be good.

Do your parent's know that you are an internet moderator? Are they proud of you?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Against Minnesota I felt like the team needed to win, if only to make a statement. Losing as they did was gut-wrenching, but at least there were some positives to take away from the game, unlike last season's dismal opener (worst Avs game I ever hope to see).

I have no such requirements for tonight's game, though a win is always nice. As long as they don't play ugly I'm good. And while I still have some Dallas annoyance from 15 years back, that's very dim in comparison to how much I hate the Wild. Which is nice, I guess. It wasn't too long ago that I felt a bit sorry for their fanbase as they didn't really have a rival. No one particularly disliked them, and they didn't seem to have anyone they hated. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad